GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

Bumping in light of a suggestion made on the Bruce McArthur thread.

Thanks dotr,

I always come back to Marks case because I have a similar lifestyle to all intents and purposes. As soon as the net started casting wider about Bruce McArthur, I thought about Mark. As I’m on the other side of the pond (UK) I hope someone can set the ball rolling on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m new to web sleuths and this case was on my mind. A few years ago I read about Mark’s disappearance online and it stuck with me b/c I work at the airport - I never knew him, it was before my time, but it hits close to home when it’s someone you could have known, could have worked with. I just read through the entire thread. I realized too, that we’ve just passed the 20th anniversary of his disappearance. Maybe that will get some renewed interest in the case. Linask if you’re still out there, have there been any developments?

I’m new to web sleuths and this case was on my mind. A few years ago I read about Mark’s disappearance online and it stuck with me b/c I work at the airport - I never knew him, it was before my time, but it hits close to home when it’s someone you could have known, could have worked with. I just read through the entire thread. I realized too, that we’ve just passed the 20th anniversary of his disappearance. Maybe that will get some renewed interest in the case. Linask if you’re still out there, have there been any developments?
Welcome to Ws sasscasspdx, thanks for "bumping" Mark's case!
Portland Police on Twitter
"Today is the anniversary of the day Mark Jeffrey Dribin went missing. Please help solve this Cold Case. https://buff.ly/2x5RZk0 "

D-e2k7zX4AAIUQH.jpg

8:57 AM - 2 Jul 2019

Mark Jeffrey Dribin – The Charley Project
Mark Jeffrey Dribin

• mark_jeffrey_dribin_1.jpg
  • mark_jeffrey_dribin_2.jpg
  • mark_jeffrey_dribin_3.jpg
Dribin, circa 1999

• Missing Since 07/03/1999
  • Missing From Portland, Oregon
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 04/13/1957 (62)
  • Age 42 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Shaved head, green/hazel eyes. Dribin had a mustache and small goatee at the time of his 1999 disappearance.
  • "Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again.

His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up.

Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located. His body has never been recovered and there have been no arrests in his case, which remains unsolved.

Dribin was employed by United Airlines at the time of his disappearance."

Thinking that Mark may have met his killer at the bar and invited him back home.
Mentioning a case from Vancouver, Canada because the gay victim in that crime, also worked for an airline, possibly encountered his killer at a club and was found murdered in his home. There is a parabon pic. from that case, fwiw, imo, speculation.
Ws thread..
Canada - Edgar "Iggy" Leonardo, 36, Vancouver, 23 Aug 2003
July 10 2018
Vancouver police hope new technology will lead to arrest in 2003 murder
"By day, he was known as responsible, dependable Edgar, a hard-working employee who loved to take advantage of his job’s travelling perks."
"Edgar had dinner with his parents, brother and sister-in-law, a regular occurrence in their close Filipino family. He left around 9 p.m. with plans to go to a club, but police don’t know which one.

He usually went out alone and liked the Venus Club on Main Street and the Kitten Theatre on Granville. He was also a regular at coffee shops and other businesses along Davie Street.

The next day — Sunday, Aug. 24 — Edgar’s red Honda Accord was found blocking a car in his building’s parking lot. He didn’t have a designated spot, so would sometimes double-park at night and then move the car the next morning.

Police believe he met someone on Saturday night, brought the man back to his apartment, and was dead before sunrise".

Vancouver Sun PARABON PIC.

Burnside Triangle | Revolvy

Mark Jeffrey Dribin – The Charley Project
Mark Jeffrey Dribin

• mark_jeffrey_dribin_1.jpg
  • mark_jeffrey_dribin_2.jpg
  • mark_jeffrey_dribin_3.jpg
Dribin, circa 1999

• Missing Since 07/03/1999
  • Missing From Portland, Oregon
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 04/13/1957 (62)
  • Age 42 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Shaved head, green/hazel eyes. Dribin had a mustache and small goatee at the time of his 1999 disappearance.
  • "Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again.

His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up.

Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located. His body has never been recovered and there have been no arrests in his case, which remains unsolved.

Dribin was employed by United Airlines at the time of his disappearance."

I guess no new developments? I wonder where LinusK is, haven’t seen her here in a long time. Hope everything’s ok with her.

I don’t believe that Mark has been found yet, but there has been an arrest in the case!
“PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo) - 05/04/20

On July 6, 1999, Mark J. Dribin, a 42 year-old Portland resident, was reported missing. After a search of his residence revealed suspicious circumstances, Dribin, as well as his vehicle, remained missing. Dribin's residence and recovered vehicle were forensically processed and analyzed, by the Bureau's Forensic Evidence Division and the Oregon State Police Crime Lab.

The missing person case was reclassified to a homicide and the subsequent investigation garnished DNA evidence, but it was and remained unidentified in the national DNA database (CODIS). After a lengthy investigation, the case went cold. For more details about this case, visit this link: MARK DRIBIN | Unsolved Cold Cases | The City of Portland, Oregon

In March of 2019, the case was reopened by the Portland Police Bureau's Cold Case Unit and the DNA evidence was submitted for Forensic Genetic Genealogy analysis. Further investigative leads were developed and the Oregon State Police Forensic Services Division continued DNA analysis.

On May 4th, 2020, 52 year-old Christopher Lovrien was arrested by the US Marshall's Office and charged with the Murder of Mark Dribin. Due to the ongoing investigative process, no further details will be provided at this time.

Mark Dribin's family has been notified of the arrest and respectfully ask for privacy at this time. They are not interested in speaking with media.

Cold Case Detectives are asking anyone who might have information regarding the homicide of Mark Dribin to contact Detective Brendan McGuire at 503-823-0869 or email brendan.mcguire@portlandoregon.gov” (BBM)
upload_2020-5-4_19-27-6.jpegupload_2020-5-4_19-27-26.jpeg
More at the link:
PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo)

Mark’s NamUs profile:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I don’t believe that Mark has been found yet, but there has been an arrest in the case!
“PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo) - 05/04/20

On July 6, 1999, Mark J. Dribin, a 42 year-old Portland resident, was reported missing. After a search of his residence revealed suspicious circumstances, Dribin, as well as his vehicle, remained missing. Dribin's residence and recovered vehicle were forensically processed and analyzed, by the Bureau's Forensic Evidence Division and the Oregon State Police Crime Lab.

The missing person case was reclassified to a homicide and the subsequent investigation garnished DNA evidence, but it was and remained unidentified in the national DNA database (CODIS). After a lengthy investigation, the case went cold. For more details about this case, visit this link: MARK DRIBIN | Unsolved Cold Cases | The City of Portland, Oregon

In March of 2019, the case was reopened by the Portland Police Bureau's Cold Case Unit and the DNA evidence was submitted for Forensic Genetic Genealogy analysis. Further investigative leads were developed and the Oregon State Police Forensic Services Division continued DNA analysis.

On May 4th, 2020, 52 year-old Christopher Lovrien was arrested by the US Marshall's Office and charged with the Murder of Mark Dribin. Due to the ongoing investigative process, no further details will be provided at this time.

Mark Dribin's family has been notified of the arrest and respectfully ask for privacy at this time. They are not interested in speaking with media.

Cold Case Detectives are asking anyone who might have information regarding the homicide of Mark Dribin to contact Detective Brendan McGuire at 503-823-0869 or email brendan.mcguire@portlandoregon.gov” (BBM)
View attachment 245672View attachment 245673
More at the link:
PPB Cold Case Homicide Detectives Identify Suspect in 20 year-old Homicide with Forensic Geneology-Arrest Made (Photo)

Mark’s NamUs profile:
Did not expect this update, so glad that someone has been arrested , hoping they will be able to locate Mark.
Condolences to LinasK, so sorry for this sad outcome.

Police make arrest in 1999 killing using DNA, genealogy site
''In March 2019, the Police Bureau’s cold case unit reopened the case and submitted DNA evidence from Dribin’s case to a private lab for forensic genetic genealogy analysis.

The private lab compared the evidence to DNA in publicly available databases, including profiles from those who share their information from consumer DNA testing companies to search for relatives who have submitted their DNA.

Oregon State Police forensic scientist Janelle Moore and Portland Detective Brendan McGuire were called to present information to a grand jury, which last week returned an indictment''.

@LinasK, my thoughts are with you and your family. I know that an arrest is a step in the right direction but finding Mark would allow for your family to have some closure. Peace to you and your family.

View attachment 245672View attachment 245673
More at the link:

Mark’s NamUs profile:

Thank you for this news update, an arrest after all this time. Has anyone heard from LinusK?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back