OR OR - Martha Morrison, 17, Eugene, 1 Sept 1974

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, May 24, 2014.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

[​IMG]
    Martha Marie Morrison

Endangered Missing from Eugene, Oregon since September 1, 1974

Age: 17 -- Height: 5'4" -- Weight: 170 lbs -- Hair Color: Brown -- Eye Color: Hazel

Martha was last seen in Eugene, Oregon on September 1, 1974. She had moved to Portland, Oregon with a male companion and had been visiting family in Eugene when she disappeared. She had a disagreement with the male she was staying with and was never heard from again.

NamUs

Charley Project

2. Loading...

3. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

[h=1]'It's important for me to just know that she's really put to rest'[/h]
    Reba Morrison says that before their mother died, she never gave up hope of finding Reba's sister Martha.

"When she was sick and dying she told me, when I find Martha, tell her momma loves her - not if, but when."

Reba is holding out hope that her sister's 1974 disappearance can be solved.

More: http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/Its-...w-that-shes-really-put-to-rest-279072741.html

4. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...volving-local-teen-back-in-spotlight.html.csp

5. annegrete

annegrete New Member

Hope it's Martha

6. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

7. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Thankful she finally got her name back! It was her fathers remains that gave the match. All other DNA was inconclusive

Remains of homicide victim found near Vancouver identified after 41 years
    Medical examiners office employee spent eight years chasing leads
    By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter
    Published: July 13, 2015, 7:34 PM

8. Roselvr

9. Jake479

Jake479 Member

I'm so glad her family has found her. RIP Martha

10. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Oh hallelujah. She's one of the missing I've most wanted to locate. I'm sorry she had to be found this way, though.

11. dogperson

dogperson Member

Online articles about the other remains, identified as Carol Valenzuela, appear to indicate she is a suspected Bundy victim. Is Martha also now a suspected Bundy victim? I seem to recall he once claimed to have picked up and murdered an unknown hitchhiker on Labor Day weekend but I don't recall which year. September 1, 1974 would have fallen on a Sunday, the day before Labor Day. Martha could be the one Bundy spoke of.

12. FiveFelines

FiveFelines New Member

Talk about the kindness of strangers! Glad she has her name back.

13. wendybtn

wendybtn Well-Known Member

Bundy was very active in 1974. That possibility is certainly on the table. I know that some of his victims remains were found in very close proximity to each other.
    Wonder where the man she was living with at the time is today? But it would be a huge coincidence if he killed one time and happened to leave the body near a Bundy victim, wouldn't it??

14. Sutton

Sutton New Member

1974, according to The Bundy Murders: A Comprehensive History (McFarland & Company, Inc., 2009). Kevin M. Sullivan writes,

"...Bundy moved from Washington State to Utah to attend law school sometime in early September 1974. Bundy's girlfriend of six years, Liz Kendall, believed he left on September 3, when in fact, according to his gasoline purchase receipts, he departed Seattle on September 2, which was Labor Day that year. Now, at first glance, this quest for his exact day of departure appears to be little more than trivia and totally insignificant; insignificant, that is, until you learn that he later admitted killing an unknown hitchhiker while he traveled through Idaho on September 2 that year! Not only did he admit this, but he called Kendall from a town about 22 miles west of Boise, and it was on the outskirts of Boise (less than 30 minutes after this phone call) where he picked up the doomed girl he would kill later that evening."

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

Nikki Costa sure is determined! What a great lady.

16. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

http://koin.com/2015/07/23/the-44-year-search-for-jamie-grissim-continues/

This article is about Jamie Grissim and her connection to Martha and Carol. That connection is the same suspected perpetrator of their murders.

In the video, the reporter says this:

The one murder he was convicted of was Krista Kay Blake.

17. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Clark Co. detectives seek answers in decades-old cold case killing of teen

http://www.kptv.com/story/31442287/clark-co-detectives-seek-answers-in-decades-old-cold-case-killing-of-teen

18. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

This 2014 news story contains an interview with one of Warren Forrest ' s victims. Forrest, who was married with 2 children at the time, had to leave Norma Countryman tied to a tree while he returned home. She managed to free herself and escape.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/apr/17/survivor-recalls-night-of-terror/

Forrest seems to be the primary suspect in Martha's murder as she was found in the same area where he had dumped the bodies of two other victims. Forrest worked for the Clark Co. Parks Dept. And had keys to all the gates to restricted areas in the county parks. Though sentenced to life in prison, he is still up for parole periodically.

I hope LE is able to locate Martha's old boyfriend. He may have information that could link her to Forrest and allow them to charge him with her murder.

19. Roselvr

Thankful he was not paroled in 2014 and I hope he does not get paroled next year either. The system really failed these girls; and continues to fail them until he returns their remains to their families. He says he's not the same person he was back then, sorry I don't believe it. I also feel he's not returning Jamie because there are more remains where she is. I wish her sister would arrange a search with cadaver dogs.

The 44-year search for Jamie Grissim continues - Jamie Grissim was 16 when she was last seen in December 1971
    Dan Tilkin Published: July 23, 2015, 8:00 pm Updated: July 24, 2015, 12:24 pm

The case of killer Warren Forrest - Warren Forrest retains his silence over the cases - Dan Tilkin and KOIN 6 News Staff Published: July 23, 2015, 7:59 pm Updated: July 24, 2015, 5:50 pm

20. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Thanks for these links, Roselvr. I began reading about these cases the other night, kept me awake, haha.

The police have done a great job over the years, once they figured out the connections. It seems any time he was set to be released or up for parole, they renewed their investigation and found more victims. The news media today seems to be doing a much better job of covering the story. Being the same age as many of the victims, I recall how every teen disappearance back then was written off as a runaway case. Sad. Hitching was also still common back then and considered "safe". It seems there were a number of serial killer's preying on young women back in the 70s in Wisconsin, Michigan and elsewhere.

I do hope they find Jamie Grissim and bring some peace to her family. Hopefully, this new information about Martha will help keep him behind bars.

21. Roselvr

Good point about Martha. I replied in Jamie's thread too; her sister is a member.