OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing she moved from Southern California to Oregon for cost of living reasons.

She also has two siblings who live in the Portland area, maybe that was why she moved. Maybe still a few hours drive, but shorter than from LA.

I was sort of half-kidding when I speculated that she might have moved here because the lack of sales tax makes guns less expensive. :) Cost of living and being closer to family would be more compelling reasons. The absence of sales tax is just icing on the cake...very tasty icing, I might add, for a low income person. But not the sole reason to move.
JMO

What a joke:

Umpqua students and staff will also have access to counselors all week, but classes were not set to start again until Oct. 12.

School board member Vanessa Becker said the goal when students return would be "working towards developing a sense of normalcy."

Clinically that is the worst thing to do. pretend like nothing happened, that it is no big deal. A week of intervention after these folks observed a human being shot point blank in the head??

It minimzes the magntude of the scars - the horrible stuff these folks experienced. Normalcy?

What better place to talk about it then talk about and aftert hat talk about it than in the setting it occured. ?

Sharing each others thought feelings , where they were what they were doing, what they then did, and share what they are experiencing on Oct 12.

Validate each others nightmares, outbursts of tears, hearing a backfire and its impact, being back on campus walking by the room etc etc moo

BBM I don't think that is the intent at all, and I find it a bit insulting that the comments of the compassionate mental health professionals in Roseburg would be considered a joke to some.

Listening to today's press conference while I was driving, I had to pull over to the side of the road when I heard the fire chief speak about Treven Anspach, whose father is on the force. The pain in the chief's voice was heartbreaking.

http://www.kptv.com/story/30176395/...embered-as-well-liked-and-all-around-good-kid

Anspach graduated from Sutherlin High School in 2014 and worked in the plywood department at Roseburg Forest Products. According to his former principal, he was a star basketball player, well-liked, and an all-around good kid.

Douglas County's Fire Chief spoke about Anspach Friday afternoon.

"Treven was one of the most positive young men, always looking for the best in life. Treven was larger than life and brought out the best in those around him. In Justin and Kim's words, Treven was a perfect son."

Rest in Peace Treven.

Perhaps one could make a case that he was a danger to himself and report it to Adult Protective Services.

That notion "makes" feel safer. The sad truth , is in most areas its only 72 hours. You all would not believe what one has to go through especialy for adults, to have someone be forced into long term placement. First no beds- that simple and sad.

Then you have to go to a judge - and judges have a real hard time "commiting" an adult. And if god forgive a family member is "againist it" forget it

Unless the person has his shirt on backwards, it talking to clouds, has urinated on self, smells, cant make a senrtance , does not know his name, or where he is .

and , if all that is happening there are no beds avail....for anything other than short term,basically they tranquilizer them into a coma , so at discharge when you ask if they feel like hurting self or antoher person , while they are drooling from the meds , they utter no poof ready for discharge ....

I don't believe anyone (here) is suggesting that her statement is not relevant. The discussion was regarding whether or not she said, IN this statement, that the reason she chose to move from California to Oregon was BECAUSE Oregon is an "open carry" state. That (clearly, IMO) is NOT what she said. The word "to" (open carry) has been taken out of context and probably will continue to be taken out of context, perhaps even by MSM. That puts incorrect information out there which only causes to muddy the water. Her decision to have the guns in the home, given the circumstances, is impossible to understand, but apparently she HAD them in their home (at least some of them) in California.

I read an article on webMD (I'm sure there are others) that said a fascination with guns is not uncommon with Aspergers, yet I didn't read any warnings about such a fascination. Perhaps she didn't realize she had reason for concern.

All IMO.
Before someone else does, I'm going to ask you for a link that says a fascination with guns is not uncommon with Aspergers. I didn't see that statement in the article you linked earlier.

Her concern should have come from his behavior, not his diagnosis. We've read accounts from neighbors who described his behavior, and the mother, herself, who acknowledged his mental health issues. Regardless of his label -- and yes, I believe we're an over-labelled society -- a responsible adult would have realized that he might be a danger to himself, if not the public at large.

I don't believe anyone (here) is suggesting that her statement is not relevant. The discussion was regarding whether or not she said, IN this statement, that the reason she chose to move from California to Oregon was BECAUSE Oregon is an "open carry" state. That (clearly, IMO) is NOT what she said. The word "to" (open carry) has been taken out of context and probably will continue to be taken out of context, perhaps even by MSM. That puts incorrect information out there which only causes to muddy the water. Her decision to have the guns in the home, given the circumstances, is impossible to understand, but apparently she HAD them in their home (at least some of them) in California.

I read an article on webMD (I'm sure there are others) that said a fascination with guns is not uncommon with Aspergers, yet I didn't read any warnings about such a fascination. Perhaps she didn't realize she had reason for concern.

All IMO.

At some point earlier in his life he was in a special needs school. She is an LPN, there is a psyc portion of training she had to "know" he suffered with issues. A 26 year old who lives in the basement , even if she was not in nursing, ought to know not to model shooting at things

That notion "makes" feel safer. The sad truth , is in most areas its only 72 hours. You all would not believe what one has to go through especialy for adults, to have someone be forced into long term placement. First no beds- that simple and sad.

Then you have to go to a judge - and judges have a real hard time "commiting" an adult. And if god forgive a family member is "againist it" forget it

Unless the person has his shirt on backwards, it talking to clouds, has urinated on self, smells, cant make a senrtance , does not know his name, or where he is .

and , if all that is happening there are no beds avail....for anything other than short term,basically they tranquilizer them into a coma , so at discharge when you ask if they feel like hurting self or antoher person , while they are drooling from the meds , they utter no poof ready for discharge ....

I'm well aware of the difficulties involved. I was simply responding to Katydid's post #946, asking who could have been called.

Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, 59, was originally from Orange County, California. She was living in Roseburg and studying at UCC, officials said.

Her husband Eric Dietz works at Pyrenees Vineyard & Cellars, and according to a Facebook posting on the company website, Dietz had a daughter who was also a student at UCC. “[She] was thankfully unharmed,” the posting said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-shooting-victim-identified-article-1.2383088

Rest in peace, Kim.

What a joke:

Umpqua students and staff will also have access to counselors all week, but classes were not set to start again until Oct. 12.

School board member Vanessa Becker said the goal when students return would be "working towards developing a sense of normalcy."

Clinically that is the worst thing to do. pretend like nothing happened, that it is no big deal. A week of intervention after these folks observed a human being shot point blank in the head??

It minimzes the magntude of the scars - the horrible stuff these folks experienced. Normalcy?

What better place to talk about it then talk about and aftert hat talk about it than in the setting it occured. ?

Sharing each others thought feelings , where they were what they were doing, what they then did, and share what they are experiencing on Oct 12.

Validate each others nightmares, outbursts of tears, hearing a backfire and its impact, being back on campus walking by the room etc etc moo
BBM

I have to disagree. The goal is to keep living and moving forward, not curl up in a ball for an extended period. No one will be pretending nothing happened or minimizing it. But research shows that replaying this experience over and over may cause more problems, as the linked article from "Time" discusses. I'm sure the professionals are aware of studies showing that spending too much time talking about the event may be harmful. The linked article by a psychiatrist who experienced 9-11 contains a lot of wisdom IMO. I hope the counsellors bring therapy dogs and let the survivors decide if and when they are ready to speak about their experiences. JMO

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1812204,00.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...onnection/201104/reflections-trust-and-trauma

After his parents divorced when he was about 16, he lived with his mother, Laurel Harper, a nurse who fiercely protected him from, among other things, the neighborhood sounds of loud children and barking dogs. (That is a component of the spectrum noise etc , very specific and concrete fears) Once, neighbors said, she went door to door with a petition to get the landlord to exterminate cockroaches in her apartment, saying they bothered her son.

“She said, ‘My son is dealing with some mental issues, and the roaches are really irritating him,’ ” Julia Winstead, 55, said. “She said they were going to go stay in a motel. Until that time, I didn’t know she had a son.”

“I know she went from career to career and then settled on nursing. She was working full-time and taking [nursing] classes part-time.”

An online dating profile, linked to Harper-Mercer’s email address says the 26-year-old was living with his parents and searching for the “yin to my yang.”

There is way to long a sidebar in this article on Americas list of events like this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...out-the-Oregon-school-gunman-on-Saturday.html

In terms of the obssive nature of the illiness - they do get "locked" in repeative thoughts, which to others could be percieved as obessive but its not like folks not suffering with malady , are "obsessive" its different -- the roaches sounds typical

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/chris-harper-mercer-umpqua-community-college-shooting.html?_r=0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...out-the-Oregon-school-gunman-on-Saturday.html

bolding not me it wont go off!

RE: I'm going to ask you for a link that says a fascination with guns is not uncommon with Aspergers. I didn't see that statement in the article you linked earlier.

(Its more about repetive thinking) this might help round out the picture.

There should be no 10% copyright on this. Its like the bible of psyc - they have to meet some of these for us to diagnos them with any disorder -- its about a 500 page book. Insurance runs by it as well

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.00 Autism Spectrum Disorder

1. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts, as manifested by the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):
    1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions.
    2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.
    3. Deficits in developing, maintaining, and understand relationships, ranging, for example, from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit various social contexts; to difficulties in sharing imaginative play or in making friends; to absence of interest in peers.
Specify current severity:

1. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities, as manifested by at least two of the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):
    1. Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects, or speech (e.g., simple motor stereotypes, lining up toys or flipping objects, echolalia, idiosyncratic phrases).
    2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat same food every day).
    3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g., strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).
    4. Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment (e.g. apparent indifference to pain/temperature, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, visual fascination with lights or movement).
Specify current severity:
Severity is based on social communication impairments and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior.

1. Symptoms must be present in the early developmental period (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities, or may be masked by learned strategies in later life).
  2. Symptoms cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning.
  3. These disturbances are not better explained by intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) or global developmental delay. Intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder frequently co-occur; to make comorbid diagnoses of autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disability, social communication should be beloiw that expected for general developmental level.
Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Individuals who have marked deficits in social communication, but whose symptoms do not otherwise meet criteria for autism spectrum disorder, should be evaluated for social (pragmatic) communication disorder.

:

images

Lucero’s sister, Maria Leticia Alcaraz posted: " Never in a million years would I have imagined going through something like this. She was my best friend and my sister,” she wrote. “I can’t begin to describe how I feel. I’m full of anger, pain, sadness, regret that I didn’t get the chance to see her or prevent this from happening.”

Maria Leticia Alcaraz wrote of being proud of her sister for getting scholarships that would cover the entirety of her college costs, and for the fact that she was in college honors and wrote that she “would have been a great pediatric nurse.”

http://koin.com/2015/10/02/umpqua-community-college-victims-identified/

[she visually reminds me of the actress Phoebe Cates]

Rest in peace, Lucero.

I don't understand why his mother didn't get him involved in martial arts rather than guns, but I guess guns was her interest.

This beautiful video honoring the victims just came to my attention and brought me to tears. I'm reposting it for any who missed it earlier, as I did. Thank you, Sasquatch, for another moving compilation and perfect song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6M2abgXRNw&feature=youtu.be

OT: I will be re-posting the video Sas did two years ago for Stephanie Warner on her thread tomorrow. It will be 27 months since she disappeared.

Mercer was in the army for around five weeks in 2008. Then the bios say he graduated from Switzer Learning Center in 2009, he would have been around age 20. Don't enlistees need a high school diploma to enlist? Maybe that's why he was discharged, but wouldn't the army check his education background before letting him join?

Mercer was in the army for around five weeks in 2008. Then the bios say he graduated from Switzer Learning Center in 2009, he would have been around age 20. Don't enlistees need a high school diploma to enlist? Maybe that's why he was discharged, but wouldn't the army check his education background before letting him join?

It may have been a split option guard or reserve contract. You go to boot camp the summer before your Senior year and then attend AIT after you graduate or get your GED.

A former behavioral aide at Switzer Learning Center talks about working with Mercer in 2006.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-...by-torrance-school-aide-as-awkward-funny-teen

When the aide knew him at 16 and 17 years old, he did not look like the photographs shown in the media following the shooting. She described him as short with kinky hair that he grew out as a “look-at-me type of hairdo.” He often wore black cuffs on his wrists.

“He wore glasses and had more than average acne and was a chunky guy,” the aide recalled. “He wore mostly black and looked like your average punk rock kid.”

<modsnip> Her comment says that she moved from a non open carry state to an open carry state, but does not state that is the primary reason for the move. She goes on to say that she moved from Southern Crime-a-mania to open carry. This indicates that the primary reason for her move was due to the high crime rate where she lived compared to where she had moved to, imo.. <modsnip>

You are cherry picking. To get away from high crime to a place where she can open carry.

Perhaps one could make a case that he was a danger to himself and report it to Adult Protective Services.

That^^^^ is very very hard to do. I know of people that were 'outwardly' much crazier than Mercer appeared to be and no one would accept they needed 'services' unless they were a tangible threat to themselves or others. JMO I know a paranoid schizophrenic that believed the radio talked to him from God in Heaven and that bees were devils---and Social Services would do nothing unless he made a specific believable threat to harm himself or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth