Found Deceased OR - Owen Klinger, 18, University of Portland, 6 Oct 2019

Dustin and Mary Klinger are expected to share “encouraging progress” in the ongoing investigation into their son’s disappearance.

KOIN 6 News will have a reporter at the press conference taking place at the family’s home in Northeast Portland at 4 p.m.

Owen Klinger’s parents to share ‘encouraging progress’
Look at the map police are asking for video from. Its not where the freight trains are staged, its a few blocks around campus.

Happy I tuned into the KOIN live stream from here at work at about 4:10pm so I think I might have missed it as well... gonna keep it on and hope they bring something up about it!
Yeah I did the same thing. haha. I’m sure it’ll show up on their website soon to watch.

Portland Police just released video:

Some interesting things from this video:

He is walking alone and doesn’t seem paranoid.
He walks normally and doesn’t seem like he’s in some hyper state of mind.
I hope people come forward with more videos like this and this helps bring understanding to his whereabouts for those local companies and homes to review any tapes they might have.

Some interesting things from this video:

He is walking alone and doesn’t seem paranoid.
He walks normally and doesn’t seem like he’s in some hyper state of mind.
I hope people come forward with more videos like this and this helps bring understanding to his whereabouts for those local companies and homes to review any tapes they might have.

Also important to note:

“PORTLAND, Ore. — Police released new TriMet video showing missing University of Portland student Owen Klinger walking west on North Willamette Boulevard the night he disappeared.

Previously, they believed Klinger had walked north on Portsmouth toward Lombard Street.”

This article also has the video but with Owen highlighted so you can better see him.

Watch: TriMet video of Owen Klinger the night he disappeared

I just looked at the recent video (I assume from the bus at Portsmouth & Willamette) and it appears to me that O.K. is walking "north" on Willamette after crossing the intersection. In the past I thought I heard folks say O.K. was last seen heading towards Lombard on Portsmouth (based on this video). Am I the only one that thinks he is actually heading out on Willamette in this video?

I just looked at the recent video (I assume from the bus at Portsmouth & Willamette) and it appears to me that O.K. is walking "north" on Willamette after crossing the intersection. In the past I thought I heard folks say O.K. was last seen heading towards Lombard on Portsmouth (based on this video). Am I the only one that thinks he is actually heading out on Willamette in this video?

You are correct! The Police put out a statement with the trimet video correcting this.

west on North Willamette Boulevard near the intersection of North Portsmouth Avenue and North Lombard Street, police said.

Last edited:
So what did LE get wrong? I can't watch the video - can someone summarize?

Where he was last seen walking:
West on North Willamette Boulevard near the intersection of North Portsmouth Avenue and North Lombard Street.

That his phone is not receiving or sending, but they cannot say he turned it off. It could be dead, etc.

The train hopping video was only as a subscription (among 50+ unrelated other subs) and no train videos showed up in his recently viewed or search history.

So what did LE get wrong? I can't watch the video - can someone summarize?

I think what LE got wrong is TBD.

In this case, for some reason, after watching the video, they told everyone he was walking north toward Columbia when the video clearly shows him walking west on Willamette. I can't believe they did that. It takes 30 seconds to watch the video and another 30 seconds to use google street view to determine which direction he was walking.

Unbelievable. It's not like it was an eye witness statement. It was video of the kid walking. A clear video.

The search is ongoing and expanding. The Feds are being brought in. More searching of his cell phone data and forensic testing of his computer. The TriMet video shows Owen in a different place than what was previously said. Backing away from train hopping theory. It's just one of several youtube video subscriptions he watches.

You can request the FBI if the missing person is 18 or younger! You don’t need local LE to request it and you don’t have to have been taken across State lines! I’m glad the Feds are involved! The PPD has really dropped the ball in my opinion!

The PPB has shown some serious irresponsibility in this case. The newly released video of Owen CEARLY shows him walking west on N. Willamette, crossing N. Portsmouth and headed in the direction of St. John’s. Why on earth was N. Lombard street ever brought up?? One quick look at Google maps reveals that N. Lombard intersects with N. Portsmouth about .7 miles away from where N. Portsmouth intersects with N. Willamette. Owen was not headed in this direction. Therefore, he was not headed in the direction of N. Columbia and the train yards. This, along with the fact that he hasn’t actually watched any train hopping videos recently, really shuts down PPB’s leading theory. Why, after revealing almost nothing about the case, would they issue a press release indicating that they had strong evidence for a theory that is almost baseless, and somewhat defamatory towards Owen?? Also, in the police video and Update #2 they were adamant that the phone had been turned off by Owen. Now they’re saying there’s no way of telling. Frustrating, but I’m glad they’re still looking into other avenues.

Seems inept of PPB to release this video without a quick title card explaining what the intersection is and which direction Owen is travelling. If someone on here took the initiative to draw a yellow line over the existing map showing a path from dorms to atm to bus windshield they'd be helping everyone out greatly.

Recent UP graduate here, used to frequent Christie hall daily. Been following you all since Owen's disappearance.
A few points here:
1. As someone who has been a student walking on Willamette MANY times -- night, day, dark, light, sober, drunk, you-name-it -- the recent direction change as indicated by the Trimet video has completely altered my idea of what might have happened to him. I used to walk to Fred Meyer's on the regular. It's the only grocery option around, and Willamette Blvd is the only way you would walk there really. Sunday night would be prime time to shop because every other waking moment there are study groups/dorm meetings/ athletic practices. Could have been on his way to purchase something, or meet someone at FM parking lot, and got held up... Recent news about the violent teens in NOPO has me wondering if they were involved. Fred Meyer footage should be investigated, if not already done.
2. The indication that his phone was turned off does not mean he was trying to avoid being tracked. In fact, if he had been meeting someone for controversial reasons, I believe even more that he would have had it charged/accessible for maps/contacting whomever he was meeting with/emergencies. This leads me to believe it was turned off by a third party or destroyed.
3. The hazing theories are utterly unbelievable to me. UP is, relative to other colleges, a VERY tame school. I participated on multiple club and D1 athletic teams there, none of which ever had issues with hazing. There is no Greek system so really the culture for that is non-existent. Compounded with the fact that this was literally hours before midterms, I'd really discount that theory.
4. It does not surprise me that UP has not released more statements, and in fact they may be encouraging students not to post publicly. I worked for the media there and had to deal with tight-lipped admin/corporate PR BS constantly. However, their efforts are likely much more in person than what we have access to online.
5. The access to mental health resources at UP was pathetic, and if he had some sort of mental health crisis (unlikely from descriptions of him, but possible), I am very sorry he did not have access to better services while there.

Hoping for the best for Owen, looks like someone who would've been in my friend group there.

Owen is 18 not 8. He is a young man a person not a possession. His parents care and love him i have no doubt. Let me count the reasons he cannot be honest about what and where he goes. The parents know how much $ he has and took from his personal bank account. His room mate contact parents... Were they instructed to keep watch on him and give parents info of his everyday life. Maybe he just needs some breathing room to be himself.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back