OR - PRESIDENTIAL PARDON - Militia members occupy federal building in Oregon after protest #4

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by Donjeta, Feb 21, 2016.

1. human

human Well-Known Member

When I think of all of the unarmed black men shot and killed and the situation at the Dakota Access Pipeline, I want to vomit. The injustice is glaring,

2. alwaysonmymind

alwaysonmymind Well-Known Member

Yes, what a contrast in comparison the the Dakota Pipeline Protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Juror 4: Oregon standoff prosecutors failed to prove 'intent' to impede federal workers
    Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
    on October 28, 2016 at 8:17 AM, updated October 28, 2016 at 9:02 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/juror_4_prosecutors_in_oregon.html

“Juror 4 vigorously defends the across-the-board acquittals of Ammon Bundy and his six co-defendants, calling the rulings a "statement'' about the prosecution's failure to prove the fundamental elements of a conspiracy charge.

The full-time Marylhurst University business administration student was the juror who had sent a note to the judge on the fourth day of the initial jury's deliberations in the case, questioning the impartiality of a fellow juror, No. 11, who the judge bounced from the jury a day later.

"It should be known that all 12 jurors felt that this verdict was a statement regarding the various failures of the prosecution to prove 'conspiracy' in the count itself – and not any form of affirmation of the defense's various beliefs, actions or aspirations,'' Juror 4 wrote Friday in a lengthy email to The Oregonian/OregonLive.

He expressed relief that he can now speak out freely, but he wasn't ready as of Friday morning to drop his anonymity. He said his studies have suffered since the trial started, and he's not ready for the attention revealing his identity would bring but felt it was important to defend the verdict. The judge withheld jurors' names during the jury selection process and trial, instead referring to each by number.

The jury closely followed U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown's instructions on how to apply the law to the evidence and testimony heard during the five-week trial, he said.

Juror 4 noted the panel couldn't simply rely on the defendants' "defining actions'' to convict.

"All 12 agreed that impeding existed, even if as an effect of the occupation,'' he wrote.

"But we were not asked to judge on bullets and hurt feelings, rather to decide if any agreement was made with an illegal object in mind,'' the Marylhurst student wrote. "It seemed this basic, high standard of proof was lost upon the prosecution throughout.''​

Much, much more.

4. alwaysonmymind

alwaysonmymind Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that I.b.nora.

More from juror 4-

"Inference, while possibly compelling, proved to be insulting or inadequate to 12 diversely situated people as a means to convict,'' the juror wrote. "The air of triumphalism that the prosecution brought was not lost on any of us, nor was it warranted given their burden of proof.''

Juror 4 plainly stated that fellow Juror 11, during the initial round of deliberations, "had zero business being on this jury in the first place.''

Juror 11 had worked for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management as a ranch tech and firefighter "more than 20 years ago,'' he had said during jury selection. Asked by the judge during voir dire if that experience would impede his ability to be a fair and impartial judge of the facts, he said, "Not really.''

Juror 4 explained why he didn't alert the court immediately after he had heard Juror 11, on day one of deliberations reportedly say, "I am very biased.''

It wasn't until the fourth day into deliberations that Juror 4 sent a note to the court, asking if a juror who had worked previously for the federal land management agency and outright told the panel he was "very biased'' could be an impartial judge. The court, flummoxed by the development, a day later dismissed Juror 11 for "good cause,'' after the prosecution and defense teams agreed to the dismissal. At the time, parties to the case weren't sure which way Juror 11's alleged bias fell.

Juror 4 said he "resisted the impulse'' to send the question sooner in an effort to give his fellow juror a chance to explain himself.

In his email to The Oregonian/OregonLive, Juror 4, for the first time, also contended that Juror 11 "violated'' the judge's explicit orders "by hearkening to 'evidence' that was never admitted in this case, refused to consider the defendant's state of mind and used imaginative theories to explain key actions.'"

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/juror_4_prosecutors_in_oregon.html

Bundy and his cohorts are a bunch of lawless ****s. moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tawny

Tawny Bye

Failed to prove "intent" yet occupying the building and refusing to give it up was, what, an attempt to get a rousing game of Parcheesi going?!

6. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

BAKER CITY: Exclusive conversation with dismissed Bundy juror
    Posted on October 28, 2016

http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2016...conversation-with-juror-dismissed-from-trial/

“It has been a whirlwind week for the trial of Ammon Bundy and six other co-defendants for their involvement in the take-over of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge near Burns earlier this year. Just days ago Juror #11 was dismissed after a fellow juror, Juror #4, made claims that he was biased and not deliberating objectively.

Curt Nickens, who has not spoken publicly until now about his time as a juror, sat down with Shannon McKone, News Director for Elkhorn Media Group to explain the recent events of the trial and how they unfolded from his perspective.”

“Nickens says he knows that he was making his decisions without bias and wonders if he was targeted by Juror #4 because of what his verdict was which was different from what others had decided.

Nickens notes that he holds no hard feelings about the dismissal and holds the highest regards to Federal Judge Anna J. Brown and the attorney’s that were involved in the case. He does however question why Juror #4 was not dismissed as well, saying it was not new information that he had previously worked for the BLM even noting that during the initial question and answer session, during jury selection, when asked about his background with the BLM he confirmed his past work using a microphone for all to hear.

Nickens says he’s just glad the trial is over. He will always have his speculations as to why Juror #4 chose to take the step to write the note that ultimately led to his dismissal but for now he can get back to his normal routine and his regular day to day life.​

More...

There is just something about that Juror #4 that disturbs me, to put it mildly.

7. Dr. Know?

Dr. Know? Former Member

Apparently the jurors didn't think the Feds proved conspiracy even though armed militia guarded the refuge? Unbelievable. They just rolled out the red carpet to many more with this twisted thinking who will probably go a bit farther, next time. Great...

8. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

Maxine's article on Juror #11:

Baker City man bounced from Oregon standoff jury calls fellow juror's note 'a personal attack'
    By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
    on October 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM, updated October 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/baker_city_man_bounced_from_or.html

“Curt Nickens told fellow jurors Wednesday morning, the fourth day of their deliberations in the Oregon standoff trial, that he felt he had been the target of a "personal attack'' and wasn't comfortable with that.

The day before, Nickens had been summoned to U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown's chambers and asked to sit at a table with a court reporter, a prosecutor and two defense lawyers. He was asked whether anything had changed since he told the court that he didn't feel his prior work for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management would impair his ability to be a fair and impartial juror. Nickens told them no.

But as he returned to the jury room, he surmised that Juror 4, who he had been "butting heads'' with during deliberations, had sent some type of note to the court that targeted him, and led to the judge's questioning of him. The day before Nickens had seen Juror 4 tear a piece of paper from his notepad and hand it to the presiding juror.

Nickens didn't share the matter with other jurors until Wednesday morning when debate over the conspiracy charges got heated.

"That's when I told them I received a personal attack, and I wasn't too comfortable with that happening. Apparently nobody else knew about it , and they were surprised,' 'Nickens told The Oregonian/OregonLive. "Juror 4 just admitted to it, and I looked over and said, 'I knew it was you.' ''”​

Good article, lots more!

9. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

10. Cricket99

Cricket99 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am speechless. I wonder what this idiots followers will do next. I hope Nevada can put them away.

11. KaaBoom

KaaBoom `·.¸¸ ><((((º> ...·´`·.¸¸ ><((((º>...·

Baker City man bounced from Oregon standoff jury calls fellow juror's note 'a personal attack'

12. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

And I hope they are found not guilty. Let freedom ring.

13. Cricket99

Cricket99 Well-Known Member

14. bluesneakers

So are we still planning a takeover of St. John's USVI? Now that we know we can get away with it and can cover all associated costs with GFMs and media appearances - who's with me?

;)

15. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

I'm with ya, let's go do it!

16. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

17. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

I don't think this was previously posted:

How the jury reached its verdicts in the Oregon standoff case
    By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive
    on October 27, 2016 at 6:11 PM, updated October 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...ury_reached_its_verdi.html#incart_river_index

“The judge, prosecutors and defense lawyers haggled for hours over how to word instructions to the jury about interpreting the law to guide their verdict in the Oregon standoff trial.

The instructions explain how the law defines a conspiracy, for instance, and what kind of behavior might amount to intimidation.

The jury of nine women and three men returned not guilty verdicts after five hours of deliberations on Thursday in the high-profile case that riveted the state and drew national and international attention to the federal bird sanctuary in rural eastern Oregon.

Here are some of the key issues covered in more than 30 pages of instructions that U.S. District Judge Anna J. Brown read to jurors and what they used to reach their decision.”​

More. Includes link to 30 page Jury Instructions document.

I think the 30 pages of jury instructions would have done me in.

18. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

19. Tawny

Tawny Bye

20. bluesneakers

Even though they maybe have won in court they lost their battle - the refuge still belongs to the people. I think they're still at war with us.