OR - Public health emergency declared over measles anti-vax hotspot near Portland and NY, Jan 2019

i'm in my forties now, but when i was 21 i broke out in a rash and when i went to the doctor i found out i had measles. i had been vaccinated as a child. apparently there was a cluster of young MEN my age who were spreading measles and i was one of the only females. i don't know what that meant, but i was worried the doctors might think i was sleeping around or something! i did get over it with no issues.
Interesting. Yes, that would have been traumatic. That story and the new one from Detroit almost makes we wonder if occasionally a bath of vaccine goes out that isn't all that effective or something.

JUST IN: A county in New York declares a state of emergency after more than 100 people were diagnosed with measles.

New York's Rockland County declares measles state of emergency, bans unvaccinated minors from public spaces

Regarding Rockland County, New York:

"Law enforcement will not be asking people for vaccination records, but if parents are found to be in violation, their cases will be forwarded to the district attorney...

Much of the measles cases in New York have been concentrated among children of Orthodox Jewish families, many of whom attend religious schools where the vaccination rates are below 95 percent, which is the threshold considered necessary to maintain immunity among the community, known as herd immunity, according to Kaiser Health News.

There is 'no such thing' as a religious exemption from being immunized, Day said, adding that just 72 percent of the those under 18 in Rockland County are vaccinated."

New York's Rockland County declares measles state of emergency, bans unvaccinated minors from public spaces

Are Orthodox Jews opposed to vaccination? Or is it just this specific group?

I don't know the answer to the Rockland area; however I am an Orthodox Jew and we have a six year old daughter who was fully vaccinated right before kindergarten this past year.

I have many friends at my local temple who share the same doctor and we all vaccinated our kids. I haven't heard of anyone at my temple (where I've been going most of my life) say anything against vaccination. My daughter's father is from Israel and he told me his sister (who still lives there) had to get her daughter vaccinated before she could attend preschool there.

^^jmo/imo/moo/etc^^

I don't know the answer to the Rockland area; however I am an Orthodox Jew and we have a six year old daughter who was fully vaccinated right before kindergarten this past year.

I have many friends at my local temple who share the same doctor and we all vaccinated our kids. I haven't heard of anyone at my temple (where I've been going most of my life) say anything against vaccination. My daughter's father is from Israel and he told me his sister (who still lives there) had to get her daughter vaccinated before she could attend preschool there.

^^jmo/imo/moo/etc^^
Thanks for the info. That is what I was learning.

Measles cases reach 22 in Oakland, Wayne counties

A measles outbreak in southeast Michigan has grown to 22 confirmed cases, with one reported in Wayne County, since March 13, local and state health authorities said Tuesday.

Oakland County has 21 cases and Wayne County has one, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services said.

Infected individuals range in age from 11 to 63, officials said...

SWAT team with guns drawn raids Arizona home for toddler with fever

Questions raised after Chandler police break door to check on feverish toddler

An unvaccinated toddler is removed from his home by SWAT team in Arizona.

From abc13: Townsend says it all started back in February, when the parents took the 2-year-old, who isn't vaccinated, to a naturopathic doctor for a fever of about 105.

The doctor instructed the parents to take the child to the emergency room, but the fever broke after the doctor's visit, so they never went.

Upon learning that, the doctor called DCS, which then called Chandler police to check on the child.

The father refused to let police into the home, and later that night, officers came back with a search warrant.

Last edited:

From abc13: Townsend says it all started back in February, when the parents took the 2-year-old, who isn't vaccinated, to a naturopathic doctor for a fever of about 105.

The doctor instructed the parents to take the child to the emergency room, but the fever broke after the doctor's visit, so they never went.

Upon learning that, the doctor called DCS, which then called Chandler police to check on the child.

The father refused to let police into the home, and later that night, officers came back with a search warrant.

Someone should start a new thread on this case, this is crazy! I will start one if you do not want to

SWAT TEAM?!?!?!

I'm all for vaccinations, but that is crazy. And, it potentially could make un-vaccinated families afraid to seek medical help or even get vaccinations out of fear.

jmo

While I know there is a lot more to that Arizona case, and I think the parents could/should have been more cooperative, the use of SWAT for that is just insane to me. We have WAY too many SWAT teams in this country and since we have them, LE agencies feel compelled to use them. We need to be going in the opposite direction.

SWAT TEAM?!?!?!

I'm all for vaccinations, but that is crazy. And, it potentially could make un-vaccinated families afraid to seek medical help or even get vaccinations out of fear.

jmo

I am not sure that this was a bad thing. So far, it is a fairly benign measles outbreak. But if a serious airborne disease occurs, and people need to be vaccinated, something like Smallpox or worse, people who don't get vaccinated are a potential danger to many.

Maybe vaccines should be mandatory. I don't know. It was interesting that where I work told us we had to get flu shots, and if we didn't, we had to wear a face mask from October to April to work every single day. Some "choice".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back