GUILTY OR - Rhonda Casto, 23, dies in cliff fall at Columbia River Gorge, 16 March 2009

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by OkieGranny, Feb 19, 2015.

1. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

[​IMG]

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...sf/2015/02/bend_man_accused_of_murder_in.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._man_accused_of_murder_in_1.html#incart_river

Hazelnutty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. al66pine

al66pine New Member

Confusing, but maybe just the reporting (or me).
    Ins. co said policy was void because of omissions in app.
    If ct had ruled in favor of ins co on that point,
    then seems ct would not have ordered ins co to deposit $ into ct-controlled a/c.
    Ok, so seems ct decided ins policy was not void.
    IIUC, w a 'voided policy' ins co w/refund only premiums already paid.

Wonder when policy was applied for, was issued ---how long before her death.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "According to U.S. District Court documents, Casto and Nichols each bought a $1 million life insurance policy in late 2008 from MetLife naming the other as beneficiary and their then-infant daughter as the contingent beneficiary....
    Nichols sued MetLife after it denied the $1 million claim.
    The company said the insurance policy was void because of omissions on the application.

In a June 2011 opinion written by U.S. District Court Judge Ancer Haggerty, MetLife asserted in a counter claim that "it is unclear whether plaintiff/counterclaim defendant Steven Wagner Nichols was involved in the murder of Rhonda Casto. If he was, he may not be entitled to the $1,000,000 in proceeds due under the Policy pursuant to Oregon's slayer statute, ORS 112.455-112.555."
    In October, Haggerty ruled that the $1 million claim be "deposited in an interest-bearing account with the court" after MetLife's attorneys agreed that if Nichols was not entitled to the $1 million claim, it would be payable to his and Casto's daughter. It is not clear who has custody of the girl, now 6.
    Casto's mother, Julia Anne Simmons, filed a wrongful death suit against Nichols that was dismissed by Haggerty and later moved to Multnomah County Circuit Court." bbm sbmhttp://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n..._man_accused_of_murder_in_1.html#incart_river Feb 18

Hazelnutty likes this.
  4. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Insurance purchased late 2008, Rhonda's death was in March 2009, so not very long before.

Hazelnutty likes this.
  5. frrlk

frrlk New Member

Where's the child?

Hazelnutty likes this.
  6. DropthePuck

DropthePuck Active Member

I just watched the episode on 48 Hours regarding this case. I haven't read any other articles yet, but based on what was in the show I just don't think there is strong enough evidence pointing to his guilt (JMO). The judge recently declined the defense request to have the charges dismissed so he'll be going to trial at some point.

Hazelnutty likes this.
  7. hellinor

hellinor New Member

I'm very interested in the validity of Rhonda's mothers claims about a relationship between Steven and Rhonda's younger sister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. iloveleonard

iloveleonard New Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2016/03/missing_evidence_doesnt_stop_c.html

From the article:

"...Nichols allegedly tried to suffocate his first wife and throw her off an eighth-floor balcony in China in 2003, according to the prosecutor's report. Nichol's first wife and her nanny confirmed the account, according to police reports. Nichols was never charged."

I'm not sure why this tidbit wasn't included in the episode.

Hazelnutty likes this.
  9. hellinor

hellinor New Member

No doubt iloveleonard!!! It was so odd the way the episode portrayed him as most likely innocent thought except for the final few minutes when some very interesting information came to light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sweetcaro

sweetcaro Well-Known Member

I just watched it and leaned towards innocent until seeing the above news revan ex wife. Wow.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hazelnutty likes this.
  11. sweetcaro

sweetcaro Well-Known Member

Hazelnutty likes this.
  12. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

Quite the catch.

Hazelnutty likes this.
  13. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Eagle Creek murder trial not likely until 2018

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2017/apr/08/eagle-creek-murder-trial-not-likely-until-2018/

Hazelnutty likes this.
  14. JusticeWillBeServed

JusticeWillBeServed Well-Known Member

Murder suspect Nichols sentenced on reduced charges

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2017/may/10/murder-suspect-nichols-sentenced-reduced-charges/

Hazelnutty likes this.
  15. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

'He Is Either Going to Give Me a Ring or Throw Me Off a Cliff,' a Mom Allegedly Said Before Fatal Hike (with clip)

"For nearly a decade, mystery has surrounded what happened to 23-year-old aspiring model Rhonda Casto, whose lifeless body was found at the bottom of a steep ravine.

On March 16, 2009, the young mother had set out with her boyfriend, Steve Nichols, to hike the popular Eagle Creek Trail along Oregon’s Columbia River Gorge. But what was supposed to be a leisurely day hike turned into a nightmare when fire officials, responding to a 911 call from Nichols, came across the ghoulish scene of Casto’s death.

What appeared to be an accident turned into a murder investigation, bolstered by Casto’s family’s belief that Nichols — the father of Casto’s daughter, Ava — had something to do with her dying.

Adding to their suspicions was a statement Casto allegedly made before she went on the hike.

“She told my mother and my sister that ‘he is either going to give me a ring or throw me off a cliff, ha ha ha,’ ” Casto’s mother, Julia Simmons, tells reporter Maria Elena Salinas in Monday’s episode of The Real Story with Maria Elena Salinas on Investigation Discovery and exclusively previewed above. “She made a joke of it. ”

But Simmons didn’t think Casto was kidding. And after she died, family members went to the police...

The Real Story with Maria Elena Salinas airs Monday (10 p.m. ET) on Investigation Discovery."

'He's Going to Give Me a Ring or Throw Me Off a Cliff,' a Mom Allegedly Said Before Dying on Hike
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------