OR OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 July 2013 - #3

Here’s a very interesting article posted on the Karissa Fretwell thread about prosecuting a “no body” murder case. I certainly see some of these patterns in Stephanie’s case.

Over the years, DiBiase said he's begun to see patterns emerge in no-body homicides.

The perpetrator and victim tend to be in a domestic relationship. And that relationship is typically fraught with triggering events like an argument, infidelity or a custody dispute.

Investigations frequently reveal evidence of a clean-up crime scene such as missing furniture, cleaned or missing carpet and missing personal items.

Perpetrators also tend to move on with their lives quickly.

Despite the difficulties in taking the cases to trial, prosecutors usually are successful in getting a conviction.

More at the link:
Salem woman, son still missing: Prosecuting a murder case without a body

Karissa and Billy’s thread:
Deceased/Not Found - OR- Karissa Alyn Fretwell, 25, William "Billy" Fretwell, Toddler, Salem, 13 May 2019 *ARREST*

July 1–I was pleased to see that KOBI-5 local news just aired a story about Stephanie. If they post a link I’ll add it later. Sadly, there is nothing new. Lennie Ames is still the prime suspect although he has moved across the country. The owner of the Ruch Country Store spoke generically on camera. At least Stephanie is still remembered almost 6 years later.

Last edited:
Here’s the link to the KOBI story. A slight correction...Ames and company didn’t leave the area “soon” after Stephanie’s disappearance. They moved into her house within days and were there for two months...partying loudly enough for neighbors to hear. :mad:

It’s deja vu to see the clip showing Lennie Ames with his son Jared Fournier doing the talking and making his infamous “we’re baffled” statement. Ames said it too. That’s what brought me to this thread in 2013.
OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 Jul 2013 - #1
That particular interview was never posted in full by KOBI, but it was chilling. I knew he was guilty immediately. I wait for the day there is enough evidence to bring Ames to justice, along with anyone who helped him destroy Stephanie.

Video at link
Police still searching for missing Ruch woman - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Here’s the link to the KOBI story. A slight correction...Ames and company didn’t leave the area “soon” after Stephanie’s disappearance. They moved into her house within days and were there for two months...partying loudly enough for neighbors to hear. :mad:

It’s deja vu to see the clip showing Lennie Ames with his son Jared Fournier doing the talking and making his infamous “we’re baffled” statement. Ames said it too. That’s what brought me to this thread in 2013.
OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 Jul 2013 - #1
That particular interview was never posted in full by KOBI, but it was chilling. I knew he was guilty immediately. I wait for the day there is enough evidence to bring Ames to justice, along with anyone who helped him destroy Stephanie.

Video at link
Police still searching for missing Ruch woman - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2
Awfully short segment. But better than nothing. What's missing? No comment or statement from LE, that's what.

Has anyone speculated on what Ames' motive was? Did he get her house/property or was she renting? Domestic situation that went bad?

Awfully short segment. But better than nothing. What's missing? No comment or statement from LE, that's what.

Has anyone speculated on what Ames' motive was? Did he get her house/property or was she renting? Domestic situation that went bad?

Yes, it’s been thought that he was trying to get her house and property. She owned it. Apparently a piece of gold had been found and he and his son had done some excavating. Ames had some novel ideas about squatter’s rights as I recall. He was a paralegal IIRC. But it was sold at auction some years later.

As we understand it, Stephanie was in the process of breaking up with him, and they fought after the parade in Ashland, so it could have been a combination of domestic violence and an attempt to seize her property. She had kicked Lennie’s son and his wife out after an altercation with the wife a couple of months earlier. They were living in Ashland, but immediately moved into Stephanie’s house with Ames and wife’s mother from Georgia. Sleazy bunch.

July 4, 2013–July 4, 2019

You’re Missing—Six years—72 months—2191 days. We must never forget.

OR - Stephanie Warner, 43, Ruch, 4 Jul 2013 - #2

Bruce Springsteen - You're Missing Lyrics | AZLyrics.com
Wondering if the people who know where to find Stephanie feel a twinge of guilt every time they hear fireworks?
Are they reminded year after year of the day, July 4,that she "disappeared."?
Thinking and hoping that some day relations will break up, guilt cracks one of them up, or while stupid drunk, somebody spills the beans.

imo, speculation.

Wondering if the people who know where to find Stephanie feel a twinge of guilt every time they hear fireworks?
Are they reminded year after year of the day, July 4,that she "disappeared."?
Thinking and hoping that some day relations will break up, guilt cracks one of them up, or while stupid drunk, somebody spills the beans.

imo, speculation.

I always wonder the same thing, dotr. Somehow, I’m not sure they have the “guilt gene.” I hoped for a breakthrough when Ames’ son and wife had an ugly breakup, but crickets. Stupid drunk or stoned is the best hope at this point. And of course, whoever finds out anything has to have some integrity and tell LE.

We had to go to Grants Pass this week and drove back by the scenic route to Jacksonville for lunch. We passed by Stephanie’s old home. The house is hidden by trees during the summer, so I couldn’t tell if anyone lives there. The barn looked a little forlorn and needing paint. :(

Later, I checked online with the assessors website and it was sold for $257,000 at auction in Sept 2018 to Wells Fargo Bank as trustee for another company. I don’t see it listed for sale anywhere, so I think it’s vacant.

Here’s what it says on Zillow:
4/22/2019 Foreclosed $257,000
The lender has taken ownership of this property through a foreclosure auction for the amount of $257,000. The lender may list it for sale as a foreclosure property in the future.
9395 Highway 238, Jacksonville, OR 97530 | Zillow

I found more detailed info about the auction, but I don’t want to link it because it includes the names of various family members of Stephanie and her deceased boyfriend MW. I thought he had deeded half the property to Stephanie, but MW was still listed as the owner until the auction.

So sad to think that such a lovely home has been vacant all these years.

Stephanie Anne Warner was last seen on July 4, 2013, leaving a convenience store in Ashland, Oregon with her boyfriend, Lennie Ames. Stephanie had been seen earlier that day walking alongside a parade float she helped create for the 4th of July holiday event. In July of 2015, the Jackson County Sheriff's Office officially named Ames as the prime suspect in Stephanie's disappearance. Their statement also indicated they believe Stephanie is deceased, however, her body has not been found. Authorities did not release any further details in the case.

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

I live in the area and I remember this every year on the Fourth. It’s so tragic they haven’t located her.

I live a block over from the parade route now and could catch glimpses of it this year from our deck...and thought about that last image of Stephanie walking next to the float in her pink shirt. :( Sad and mad. :mad:

Just checking in on Stephanie's thread. There are so many missing persons podcasts now, some with some heavy-hitting investigators and solid funding for production. If the folks from Up and Vanished can get their start here on WS on another case, and handle suspects like in Crestone, CO in the Rhonda Day case, I think they should be able to ask the hard questions about Stephanie, too.

Made an account just to say incredible work done by everyone in this thread. I read through all 39 pages of this thread and actually found it somewhat more informative than many news articles covering the case.

I live less than 10 minutes away from Stephanie’s old house and it frustrates me to no end that her body could be so close and yet there’s no way of knowing besides to search every inch of the wilderness or get Ames to confess. Infuriating, but excellent work here, friends

Made an account just to say incredible work done by everyone in this thread. I read through all 39 pages of this thread and actually found it somewhat more informative than many news articles covering the case.

I live less than 10 minutes away from Stephanie’s old house and it frustrates me to no end that her body could be so close and yet there’s no way of knowing besides to search every inch of the wilderness or get Ames to confess. Infuriating, but excellent work here, friends

Welcome belatedly @mimi97. I haven’t stopped by Stephanie’s thread for quite awhile...Covid-19 distraction, I’m afraid. Thank you so much for your kind words, especially as a concerned local. Stephanie’s threads were a real group effort and brought out the best in members seeking answers. I hope by now you’ve had a chance to read the first two threads where so much investigation happened here. It became a labor of love and some went way above and beyond behind the scenes, at some risk.

It is awful to think that Ames and company have probably gotten away with Stephanie’s murder and hiding her so well. Even if there wasn’t enough evidence to bring the case to trial, it would have been wonderful to be able to return Stephanie to her family and friends.

Please stop by again.

I'm trying to remember whether they were able to do searches of Ames's vehicles.

I’m not sure we ever had that information @CluelessWonder. One would hope so, but I recall lots of balls being dropped regarding Ames at the beginning. So who knows. What we do know is that Stephanie’s vehicle was used in the late night-early morning hours for two to three hours IIRC. Ames’ DNA was on the ignition locking device that had to be blown into to prove she hadn’t been drinking. That doesn’t conclusively prove that he drove the car (he could have helped Stephanie circumvent the device), but the consensus has been that he used her car to take Stephanie to her final resting place, if one can call it that. :( So his vehicles may have shown nothing. I think the sheriff held back a lot of evidence to use at trial, so there is a lot we don’t know. And I’m running on memories of seven years ago, so without re-reading the first two threads I can’t say for sure whether or not his vehicles were searched. Good question though.

We had to go to Grants Pass this week and drove back by the scenic route to Jacksonville for lunch. We passed by Stephanie’s old home. The house is hidden by trees during the summer, so I couldn’t tell if anyone lives there. The barn looked a little forlorn and needing paint. :(

Later, I checked online with the assessors website and it was sold for $257,000 at auction in Sept 2018 to Wells Fargo Bank as trustee for another company. I don’t see it listed for sale anywhere, so I think it’s vacant.

Here’s what it says on Zillow:
4/22/2019 Foreclosed $257,000
The lender has taken ownership of this property through a foreclosure auction for the amount of $257,000. The lender may list it for sale as a foreclosure property in the future.
9395 Highway 238, Jacksonville, OR 97530 | Zillow

I found more detailed info about the auction, but I don’t want to link it because it includes the names of various family members of Stephanie and her deceased boyfriend MW. I thought he had deeded half the property to Stephanie, but MW was still listed as the owner until the auction.

So sad to think that such a lovely home has been vacant all these years.
Any chance they have done or will do some renovations of the house and surrounding area, 'cause you never know.....
imo, speculation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back