OR OR - Thomas Gibson, 2, Glendale, 18 March 1991

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by mere, May 5, 2008.

1. mere

mere Member

2. Loading...

3. meggilyweggily

meggilyweggily New Member

This is one of the few murder-with-a-body cases where I'm not at all sure the convicted killer is guilty. There seems to be a serious paucity of evidence here, and just about anything could have happened to Thomas. From what I've read about the case I'm not even sure he is dead, let alone killed by his father.

4. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

meggilyweggily, I am curious about your thoughts on Thomas' case. I'd always thought the father probably had a hand in his disappearance and probable death. I had heard he had a quick and violent temper.

5. gaia227

gaia227 I have never taken any exercise except sleeping an

I am surprised they were able to indict him much less get a conviction with basically no physical evidence. It sounds like it was all based on circumstansial and heresay.
    However, I tend to think he most likely did do it and I think the police assumption that the bullet travelled through the cat and accidently killed Thomas seems very likely but there is no evidence to support that theory.
    To be honest I cannot have much sympathy for the guy. I don't have much sympathy for people who shoot innocent animals who are simply trying to survive. It sounds like cat shooting was a normal activity for him and that is vile to me and evidence that he is not a good person. I think people who are mean and violent towards animals are probably very likely to be violent towards people.

6. Eire

Eire New Member

I thought I read somewhere that his body was found, I guess I was confused. I could have sworn I read that his body was found near their old home. That's what I get for believing the rumor mill.

I too remember his picture from the Soul Asylum video. I'm wondering a few things here, if the father did indeed shoot Thomas by accident, there would have been blood near the dead cat. I'm guessing any blood found was not tested because they would have been able to tell if it was human or not, no? The father probably could have done it, I don't have any love for people who shoot animals either. I'm not willing to jump to a conclusion quite yet, but I'm on gaia's wavelength there.

The mother and daughter changing their story could go both ways. It could be they were afraid of the father and stuck to the story about the strangers until they were away from him. It could also be that the second story was concocted after the parents split up. Maybe mom didn't want dad having visitation or something. Stranger stories have been made up during divorces, I'm sure. I just don't know here. I don't think little Thomas is alive today, though.

7. Talisman

Talisman Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregna

So sad, I had forgotten about this little guy. Didn't Unsolved Mysteries run this story? IIRC after watching that I felt like the father was guilty. Didn't they do a search with dogs ?

8. meggilyweggily

Unsolved Mysteries did run a show on this case. I remember watching it when I was a child.

9. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

I remember too. Remember how some of the witness always sounded guilty somehow? I always thought the dad was one of those guilty-sounding witnesses.

10. kahskye

kahskye Inactive

Is there not a law against shooting stray cats? Something doesn't add up to his story.

11. meggilyweggily

I live out in the country and there are plenty of stray cats running around, some dogs as well. Many people regard them as pests and shoot them on sight, the same way people fumigate for cockroaches and stuff. I've never heard of any law against it but if there was a law I don't think most people would stop shooting.

12. Michle315

Michle315 New Member

This case blows my mind, I do remember seeing the Unsolved Mysteries take on it many times. I believe the father did it, either not knowing but then him being a cop (am I right on that?) You would think he would say something, so when he didn't he may of been abusing him. Very sad that this child is missing/dead because of his own father. I have read on many sites that people who abuse animals shooting, burning ect. Are usually ones that lead lives of killing people.

13. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

:bump: Thomas has now been missing for 20 years. :(

14. CCD

CCD Member

:(

I hope they can find out what happened to him. Such a cutie!

15. sls314

sls314 Verified insider - Chelsea Bruck case

What kind of father shoots stray cats on the family property while his 2 year old son is playing outside? (Yeah, what kind of father shoots stray cats at all, but especially with a young child playing outside.)

A trained deputy should be aware of the dangers of stray bullets, and should be intelligent enough to know that 2 year olds don't sit still when playing outside. They're going to get up and run around, and potentially be in the path of those bullets.

16. CCD

CCD Member

I 100% agree. People who work with guns should understand the ramifications of using guns. And who goes for a 'jog around his property' and carries a handgun with them?

17. EmmaliLucia

EmmaliLucia New Member

The age progression photo looks exactly like a kid I went to highschool with.

I think the weirdest thing is the age isn't that far off, either.

I'm sure it's not him though, not trying to start rumours.

18. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

Bumping for Tommy, missing 22 years.