GUILTY OR - Whitney Heichel, 21, Gresham, 16 Oct 2012 #6

Thank you, Sasquatch (and La Louve too), for your many loving kindnesses in Whitney's memory. Please share with us your experience at the hearing if you feel up to it. I'm so glad it's all over without the family having to endure a trial. I hope that's why Holt took the guilty plea. That was the only honorable thing to do.

Okay, first I admit I'm still incredibly angry. But other than (possibly) understanding the family's wishes not to have Whitney's memory drug through an ugly hearing (my understanding - not Holt's), I don't find much honor in ANY of Holt's decisions --- including his plea! It was imo directly related to fear of the death penalty and therefore his comments of taking "full responsibility" are complete BS.

Okay, first I admit I'm still incredibly angry. But other than (possibly) understanding the family's wishes not to have Whitney's memory drug through an ugly hearing (my understanding - not Holt's), I don't find much honor in ANY of Holt's decisions --- including his plea! It was imo directly related to fear of the death penalty and therefore his comments of taking "full responsibility" are complete BS.

I understand your feelings, Lordeebee, and I'm sorry I gave you the wrong impression. I just want to make it clear that I didn't say that Holt was being honorable. I said that I hoped his guilty plea was intended to spare the family. That would IMO be the only right (or honorable) thing to do. None of us can know what his motive is, of course. The death penalty is pretty much a non-issue right now in Oregon. But it is always my hope that even people who have done horrible, depraved and dishonorable things have enough decency in them to ultimately do the right thing for the right reasons. Whether that is true of Holt is anybody's guess. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm just glad the judicial part is over for Whitney's family and friends and has been resolved quickly and to their satisfaction. That said, it's still a sad road ahead without Whitney.

I'm glad this is over, this case bothered me so much. I'm in awe of her family's strength and bravery, especially Clint.

Beautiful Whitney

whitneyheichel_320x245.jpg

Never Forgotten

:rose:​

Peace and comfort to all who loved her, searched, investigated, cared, mourned her fate, and sought justice.

:grouphug:

Attaching media reports, after all these beautiful sentiments, sorry if it offends.
I am thankful though that the family had the opportunity to confront JH and say what they needed to say. And maybe just maybe, he will have to confront these images and thoughts from Whitney's loved ones and family for the rest of his days!

Holt admits killing Heichel, sentenced to life
KOIN.com
(KOIN) — Jonathan Holt admitted killing Whitney Heichel and was sentenced to life in prison in a plea change in a Clackamas County courtroom Monday afternoon. Heichel, 21, was slain last year. Holt, 25, changed his plea in a written agreement June 28.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=ht...xxPeTw&usg=AFQjCNEyOT0Jou_5WdtARtmdLR8dCKoeYg

OregonLive.com
When it came time for Clinton Heichel to address the man who murdered his wife, he sat silently staring at the killer, Jonathan Daniel Holt, for a long minute. jonathan-holt.JPG View full sizeJonathan Holt said he deserved whatever sentence the judge ...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=ht...xxPeTw&usg=AFQjCNE4eGSHTS-_4llrLpFZHsH5Iz7yWg

Guilty: Man who killed Whitney Heichel gets life in prison - KPTV - FOX 12
KPTV.com
The man who killed 21-year-old Gresham woman Whitney Heichel pleaded guilty Monday and received a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. Jonathan Holt was arrested and charged with murder for the death of Heichel in October 2012.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=ht...xxPeTw&usg=AFQjCNGB0ryMy5Oj5R5YF66W-XSq-s9W8A

Whitney Heichel's killer to spend life in prison
Portland Tribune
Holt on Monday, July 8, pleaded guilty in Clackamas County Circuit Court to six of the 10 charges he faced for the aggravated murder of 21-year-old Whitney Heichel. By pleading guilty to three counts of aggravated murder with a firearm, one count of ...

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/156192-whitney-heichels-killer-to-spend-life-in-prison

Video - Portland Local News
kgw.com
... guilty to aggravated murder, gets life in prison. Posted on July 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM. Updated yesterday at 8:15 PM. Jonathan Holt, accused of murdering his Gresham neighbor Whitney Heichel last fall, changed his plea to guilty Monday.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=ht...xxPeTw&usg=AFQjCNEKzCh8q3MeUIkMcdcS5iQzMe45yQ

Thank you Lilibet for your kind words and big heart! also thank you Masyann, Midwest Mamma, La Louve, Caffeinejean, Desdemona, Starry1, Lordeebee and everyone else for your great posts and big hearts, too!

I would have to say that yesterday was pretty much summed up by the media. Like La Louve stated, Oregon City was busy and the courthouse had lines out the door. I had to park about 4 blocks away, and it took a few times circling to find a parking spot. Once I made it up to the courthouse, it was the usual ritual of dropping of keys, wallet and belt into the plastic bin, and then walking through the metal detector. I was hoping to arrive an hour before the hearing, but the busy traffic and lines made me arrive at the court room, one half hour before the hearing started.

The media pretty much summed up what went on at the hearing. Jonathan Holt went into the courtroom first, then Whitney's and Clint's families and friends followed a few minutes later. There were only a few reporters in the courtroom. The Oregonian, KGW-TV and KPTV. The rest of the broadcast media waited outside for the family's statement, after the hearing had ended.

Jonathan Holt pretty much kept his head down and answered in a very soft voice. He had a lawyer on each side of him, usually keeping a hand on his back throughout the hearing. He had longer hair and a beard. None of his family members attended that I could see. Most of the seats were filled up with Whitney's family and friends. Both Steve Mygrant, Deputy Clackamas County DA and Don Rees the prosecuting attorney/Senior Deputy DA from Multnomah County, were both representing Whitney's behalf.

The statements from Whitney's and Clint's family were touching. Clint's silent stare at JH was piercing just before his statement, and Jonathan Holt just put his head down even more. The family told JH what they thought of him. There were many heart-wrenching moments.

During the Plea, Jonathan Holt answered yes to taking WH into the Woods with the intention to kill her (Woods was most likely defined as driving WH to Roslyn Lake, but wasn't stated) and using a gun to take her life. Judge Herndon made sure that JH understood the Plea Deal that he signed on June 28th, 2013, and JH said Yes with his head slightly lowered. Judge Herndon mentioned the sentence as Life in Prison, with no chance of parole. He said that with the way Oregon's Death Penalty System is, that Life without Parole was probably the harshest penalty that could be given at this time and the judge then accepted the Plea Deal. Judge Herndon went on to say that out of all of his years as a judge, that JH was probably the most remorseful defendant accused of murder. This was a shock to hear, because I was expecting him to tell JH something along the same lines as he had told Ward Weaver, when he sentenced him to Life without Parole. Judge Herndon told Ward Weaver, "I hope there is a special place in hell for people like you". Ward Weaver had sexually assaulted and murdered two young girls and buried one of their bodies under a concrete slab. Ward Weaver took almost two years to reach a plea settlement. So it was obvious that Judge Herndon saw a difference in dealings with the two convicted murderers. Judge Herndon went on to talk about the formalities, such as the 3 aggravated murder charges will be combined and that the Multnomah County charges will be dropped. This Plea Hearing, pretty much put an end to JH's trial and further hearings. He will live and die in prison, with no chance for parole.

I had a chance to be with Whitney's and Clint's family members and friends throughout the whole ordeal. Never have I seen such a wonderful, caring and thoughtful group of people. They were all very thankful for the garden and what it represents! They were also very thankful for all of the support that I had provided.

It has been a lot to take in these past few days, but I do feel that Justice was served for Whitney, the best that it can be at this time. I am also glad that the family is now spared from having to go through a trial, like they had wished. The family stated that one of their clear intentions was to make sure that JH will not harm another person.

I would like to give a Big Thank You to everyone who sleuthed this case, and spent many hours working on finding answers. You all have a Big Heart!
Also a Big Thank You to Caffeinejean, Desdemona, La Louve, Kimster, Tennlyn, Kodi, Lordeebee, Neverletgo and many others who helped sleuth and keep in touch with many PM's. Thanks to La Louve for helping me create and maintain the wonderful garden that helped a family be able to go out to Roslyn Lake and feel that there is light and beauty, where there once was so much darkness. I can not count the amount of hugs and thanks that I have received over these past few days. I have felt so honored to act as a Witness, Advocate and part time gardener in Whitney's Memory! Every hug represented not only a thanks to me, but a thanks to the many people who spent countless hours helping find clues and keep Whitney's memory alive! I feel honored to be able to add my support to the family and friends of Whitney and Clint!

Sleep peacefully Whitney! There will be a day when your family and friends will hold you in their arms again! Your light does still shine on all of us, and your sweet personality and smile will always be remembered!

Media coverage of yesterday's Plea/Sentencing Hearing (some may be repeat links)
The Gresham Outlook
http://portlandtribune.com/go/42-news/156191-whitney-heichels-killer-to-spend-life-in-prison
KATU-TV
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Guilty-plea-expected-Monday-in-murder-of-21-year-old-Heichel-214606561.html
KOIN-TV
http://www.koin.com/2013/07/08/jonathan-holt-whitney-heichel-murder-plea/
KGW-TV
http://www.kgw.com/news/Accused-Heichel-killer-pleads-guilty-gets-life-in-prison-214660201.html
KPTV-TV
http://www.kptv.com/story/22785819/guilty-man-charged-with-whitney-heichels-murder-changes-plea
The Oregonian
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/07/whitney_heichels_family_confro.html

Beautiful Sasquatch. This is better than any media report I could ever read.
You've pulled on my heart strings again and again and again. Thank you so much for absolutely everything.

I need to add this Tribute so beautifully done for all to see and share, we won't forget this shining light and young life.

More Tears and Hugs SAS

"Through it all, Love Remains"
http://youtu.be/JVMF5CLM07w
Published October 25th, 2012
Tribute to Whitney Heichel

Beautiful Sasquatch. This is better than any media report I could ever read.
You've pulled on my heart strings again and again and again. Thank you so much for absolutely everything.

You are welcome! Thank you CJ! Thank you also for all of your time and dedication to help bring Justice for Whitney, and for having such a Big Heart! We couldn't have come up with many of these theories without your sleuthing, Google Maps driving and truly caring about Whitney! :)

Thank you also for posting the wonderful video! Hugs back to you CJ!

Thank you Lilibet for your kind words and big heart! also thank you Masyann, Midwest Mamma, La Louve, Caffeinejean, Desdemona, Starry1, Lordeebee and everyone else for your great posts and big hearts, too!

I would have to say that yesterday was pretty much summed up by the media. Like La Louve stated, Oregon City was busy and the courthouse had lines out the door. I had to park about 4 blocks away, and it took a few times circling to find a parking spot. Once I made it up to the courthouse, it was the usual ritual of dropping of keys, wallet and belt into the plastic bin, and then walking through the metal detector. I was hoping to arrive an hour before the hearing, but the busy traffic and lines made me arrive at the court room, one half hour before the hearing started.

The media pretty much summed up what went on at the hearing. Jonathan Holt went into the courtroom first, then Whitney's and Clint's families and friends followed a few minutes later. There were only a few reporters in the courtroom. The Oregonian, KGW-TV and KPTV. The rest of the broadcast media waited outside for the family's statement, after the hearing had ended.

Jonathan Holt pretty much kept his head down and answered in a very soft voice. He had a lawyer on each side of him, usually keeping a hand on his back throughout the hearing. He had longer hair and a beard. None of his family members attended that I could see. Most of the seats were filled up with Whitney's family and friends. Both Steve Mygrant, Deputy Clackamas County DA and Don Rees the prosecuting attorney/Senior Deputy DA from Multnomah County, were both representing Whitney's behalf.

The statements from Whitney's and Clint's family were touching. Clint's silent stare at JH was piercing just before his statement, and Jonathan Holt just put his head down even more. The family told JH what they thought of him. There were many heart-wrenching moments.

During the Plea, Jonathan Holt answered yes to taking WH into the Woods with the intention to kill her (Woods was most likely defined as driving WH to Roslyn Lake, but wasn't stated) and using a gun to take her life. Judge Herndon made sure that JH understood the Plea Deal that he signed on June 28th, 2013, and JH said Yes with his head slightly lowered. Judge Herndon mentioned the sentence as Life in Prison, with no chance of parole. He said that with the way Oregon's Death Penalty System is, that Life without Parole was probably the harshest penalty that could be given at this time and the judge then accepted the Plea Deal. Judge Herndon went on to say that out of all of his years as a judge, that JH was probably the most remorseful defendant accused of murder. This was a shock to hear, because I was expecting him to tell JH something along the same lines as he had told Ward Weaver, when he sentenced him to Life without Parole. Judge Herndon told Ward Weaver, "I hope there is a special place in hell for people like you". Ward Weaver had sexually assaulted and murdered two young girls and buried one of their bodies under a concrete slab. Ward Weaver took almost two years to reach a plea settlement. So it was obvious that Judge Herndon saw a difference in dealings with the two convicted murderers. Judge Herndon went on to talk about the formalities, such as the 3 aggravated murder charges will be combined and that the Multnomah County charges will be dropped. This Plea Hearing, pretty much put an end to JH's trial and further hearings. He will live and die in prison, with no chance for parole.

I had a chance to be with Whitney's and Clint's family members and friends throughout the whole ordeal. Never have I seen such a wonderful, caring and thoughtful group of people. They were all very thankful for the garden and what it represents! They were also very thankful for all of the support that I had provided.

It has been a lot to take in these past few days, but I do feel that Justice was served for Whitney, the best that it can be at this time. I am also glad that the family is now spared from having to go through a trial, like they had wished. The family stated that one of their clear intentions was to make sure that JH will not harm another person.

I would like to give a Big Thank You to everyone who sleuthed this case, and spent many hours working on finding answers. You all have a Big Heart!
Also a Big Thank You to Caffeinejean, Desdemona, La Louve, Kimster, Tennlyn, Kodi, Lordeebee, Neverletgo and many others who helped sleuth and keep in touch with many PM's. Thanks to La Louve for helping me create and maintain the wonderful garden that helped a family be able to go out to Roslyn Lake and feel that there is light and beauty, where there once was so much darkness. I can not count the amount of hugs and thanks that I have received over these past few days. I have felt so honored to act as a Witness, Advocate and part time gardener in Whitney's Memory! Every hug represented not only a thanks to me, but a thanks to the many people who spent countless hours helping find clues and keep Whitney's memory alive! I feel honored to be able to add my support to the family and friends of Whitney and Clint!

Sleep peacefully Whitney! There will be a day when your family and friends will hold you in their arms again! Your light does still shine on all of us, and your sweet personality and smile will always be remembered!

Media coverage of yesterday's Plea/Sentencing Hearing (some may be repeat links)
The Gresham Outlook
http://portlandtribune.com/go/42-news/156191-whitney-heichels-killer-to-spend-life-in-prison
KATU-TV
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Guilty-plea-expected-Monday-in-murder-of-21-year-old-Heichel-214606561.html
KOIN-TV
http://www.koin.com/2013/07/08/jonathan-holt-whitney-heichel-murder-plea/
KGW-TV
http://www.kgw.com/news/Accused-Heichel-killer-pleads-guilty-gets-life-in-prison-214660201.html
KPTV-TV
http://www.kptv.com/story/22785819/guilty-man-charged-with-whitney-heichels-murder-changes-plea
The Oregonian
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/07/whitney_heichels_family_confro.html

Thank you for all your loving efforts, the garden is beautiful and peaceful. Without going into my own (stuff) I just wanted to say that when you lose a loved and people who don't even know you take the time to be the loving caring people that are here on websleuths, it means more than you may ever even know. I think thats why always read here dont comment much. But I find this site to be so above all others. love to you all you are truly the best.:rockon: I am glad the hearing is over. And may our sweet Whitney RIP. Till we see her again.

Sasquatch thank you so much for your beautiful post. I'm so relieved that this chapter is over for Whitney's family and they can rest assured that Whitney's murderer will never harm another person.

Thank you so much for being there for the families with everything you have done. To be a garden partner with you in Whitney's memory is a profound honor. That our garden gave the family a bit of the sense of beauty and peace we are striving for is very heartening.

To everyone here who has supported the search for justice for Whitney and our efforts with the garden, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know Whitney is resting in peace. May her beautiful smile keep the flame of her memory alive in each of us. Her Beauty and Light will never fade.

La Louve

I want to say one more thing wow two post in one day. I just watched Client on the stand. I am so glad he was man enough to make JH look at him. That must have been hard to do. But I am glad he did it. It makes the person responsible have to acknowledge you and just maybe listen, and not just hang his head and 'be in his own head'. Not one of us can read the heart. And I hope JH spends ever moment thinking, "about what he selflessly did to Whitney's family and others, including his own family. If he had been thinking maybe he could have taken his actions first down the road of consequence. But many even in small things rarely do that. I may not make sense about what I am saying. But thats why I do not comment very often...

Thank you Sasquatch for the moving firsthand report. Although I'm new to posting on Whitney's thread, she brought me to Websleuths and I have followed along lurking until now. I have been so touched by the outpouring of support and kindness toward Whitney's family that you and others have shown. Although I know they have received incredible support from their congregation, seeing that Whitney touched you and La Louve enough to plant and tend a garden must have made their battered hearts joyful. It certainly gave me comfort and smiles to see your photos.

I finally joined WS during the Jodi Arias trial. Travis Alexander's family was supported and comforted by their own Sasquatch, Websleuther Katiecoolady. Neither of you will be forgotten. :)

Thank you for all your loving efforts, the garden is beautiful and peaceful. Without going into my own (stuff) I just wanted to say that when you lose a loved and people who don't even know you take the time to be the loving caring people that are here on websleuths, it means more than you may ever even know. I think thats why always read here dont comment much. But I find this site to be so above all others. love to you all you are truly the best.:rockon: I am glad the hearing is over. And may our sweet Whitney RIP. Till we see her again.

Thank you for your caring and kind words! Your posts are wonderful and heartfelt, and you too have a really Big Heart! It is our honor to make a beautiful garden in memory of Whitney! It has meant so much to the family to be able to visit the site, and have a beautiful garden to look at!

Sasquatch thank you so much for your beautiful post. I'm so relieved that this chapter is over for Whitney's family and they can rest assured that Whitney's murderer will never harm another person.

Thank you so much for being there for the families with everything you have done. To be a garden partner with you in Whitney's memory is a profound honor. That our garden gave the family a bit of the sense of beauty and peace we are striving for is very heartening.

To everyone here who has supported the search for justice for Whitney and our efforts with the garden, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know Whitney is resting in peace. May her beautiful smile keep the flame of her memory alive in each of us. Her Beauty and Light will never fade.

La Louve

You are welcome, and Thank you for everything as well! It is an honor creating and maintaining the beautiful garden with you!

I want to say one more thing wow two post in one day. I just watched Client on the stand. I am so glad he was man enough to make JH look at him. That must have been hard to do. But I am glad he did it. It makes the person responsible have to acknowledge you and just maybe listen, and not just hang his head and 'be in his own head'. Not one of us can read the heart. And I hope JH spends ever moment thinking, "about what he selflessly did to Whitney's family and others, including his own family. If he had been thinking maybe he could have taken his actions first down the road of consequence. But many even in small things rarely do that. I may not make sense about what I am saying. But thats why I do not comment very often...

Masyann your post makes perfect sense and I hope you will post more often. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I too am glad that Holt admitted his guilt in what seemed (to me) a sincerely remorseful fashion. The weight of what he has done and the choices he should have made will rightly haunt him for the rest of his life.

Thank you Sasquatch for the moving firsthand report. Although I'm new to posting on Whitney's thread, she brought me to Websleuths and I have followed along lurking until now. I have been so touched by the outpouring of support and kindness toward Whitney's family that you and others have shown. Although I know they have received incredible support from their congregation, seeing that Whitney touched you and La Louve enough to plant and tend a garden must have made their battered hearts joyful. It certainly gave me comfort and smiles to see your photos.

I finally joined WS during the Jodi Arias trial. Travis Alexander's family was supported and comforted by their own Sasquatch, Websleuther Katiecoolady. Neither of you will be forgotten. :)

Thank you for your kind and heartfelt words, Lilibet! This is a beautiful post! The past few days have left me speechless. It took me a night to let everything sink in, to just be able to write that post. La Louve and I have spent a lot of time creating and maintaining the garden out at Roslyn Lake. What started out as just watching the roses and flowers grow, turned into something more than I had ever expected. People started stopping by the garden and opening up. They openly talked about how this tragedy effected their lives. More than flowers were growing because of this garden! People started connecting to each other and all of our hearts were growing! I sometimes found myself becoming speechless after receiving a compliment about the garden. I soon learned that I didn't have to respond by words every time. By just giving a big hug back to that person, turned out to be the best Thank you! I will have to say, that I have been giving a lot of hugs out these past few days! I am so glad that Whitney's Memorial Garden has brought so much happiness and healing to you and everyone else!

Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning.
~Lydia M. Child

Lilibet I'm so glad the photos of the garden brought you comfort and smiles. The ripples of beauty and light have spread so far and wide, it's really remarkable. I so appreciate your touching comments. Whitney brought me to Websleuths as well and I treasure the gift of this community as part of her legacy. If you are ever up in the Portland area I hope you will come out to see Whitney's Garden.

La Louve

Thank you for your kind and heartfelt words, Lilibet! This is a beautiful post! The past few days have left me speechless. It took me a night to let everything sink in, to just be able to write that post. La Louve and I have spent a lot of time creating and maintaining the garden out at Roslyn Lake. What started out as just watching the roses and flowers grow, turned into something more than I had ever expected. People started stopping by the garden and opening up. They openly talked about how this tragedy effected their lives. More than flowers were growing because of this garden! People started connecting to each other and all of our hearts were growing! I sometimes found myself becoming speechless after receiving a compliment about the garden. I soon learned that I didn't have to respond by words every time. By just giving a big hug back to that person, turned out to be the best Thank you! I will have to say, that I have been giving a lot of hugs out these past few days! I am so glad that Whitney's Memorial Garden has brought so much happiness and healing to you and everyone else!

Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning.
~Lydia M. Child

I am learning that justice comes in various ways. Doing justice to the place of Whitney's last moments has been a quiet motivation for my work on the garden. That the families were able to visit Roslyn Lake and see something beautiful created out of love, and not a gravel road full of broken glass and trash, that is justice too. I would have hated for them to see the place before the garden. That the neighbors can drive by and see something beautiful and be reminded of Whitney's loveliness and not just the sadness of her loss, this feels like justice too.

Healing justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back