GUILTY OR - Whitney Heichel, 21, Gresham, 16 Oct 2012 #6

I am learning that justice comes in various ways. Doing justice to the place of Whitney's last moments has been a quiet motivation for my work on the garden. That the families were able to visit Roslyn Lake and see something beautiful created out of love, and not a gravel road full of broken glass and trash, that is justice too. I would have hated for them to see the place before the garden. That the neighbors can drive by and see something beautiful and be reminded of Whitney's loveliness and not just the sadness of her loss, this feels like justice too.

Healing justice.

Wow! Wonderful post, La Louve! I love the words and concept of Healing Justice! It is so true, that many times when we have been working on the garden, that the work extended well beyond the turnout. The tedious task of picking up broken glass, sometimes between the road's tiny grooves, had not only cleaned up the place, but provided possible evidence for this case. Cleaning up the turnout took extra time, but was well worth it in the end. It not only added beauty to the place, but it made people think twice about throwing down their litter. The overwhelming Thanks from all of the families and friends who came out to visit the place, provides proof to me that there is Healing Justice!

Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden - South Roslyn Lake - July 9th, 2013
"Blue Girl" Tea Rose and Pink Miniature Blooming Roses!

Angel flying too close to the ground.....that song recently came to mind as I was thinking about Whitney. Except now this angel is soaring above the heavens, and probably showing the others what it was like to be an angel on earth. I sure don't want to hold her down with my anger and unforgiveness so I am apologizing to her and all of you. I am fortunate to have watched my fellow sleuthers in their pain over the unthinkable, their diligence in finding justice for Whitney, and finally seeing first-hand how to exchange ugliness for beauty.

Beautiful WH Garden! You have shared it with all when you could have held it close for your own comfort!

Huge thanks to Sasquatch, LaLouve, Caffeine and All!

Every new year I choose a word for the year that I will focus on, usually something connected with personal healing and growth. This year my word is "Forgive". It has been challenging for me to open up to deeper meanings and expressions of the concept of forgiveness.

One of the quotes I love to share is "Indignance is a Bondage". I think about that idea whenever I am wrestling with an injustice or insult I feel I have experienced. What I have learned this year, in part thanks to Whitney, is that forgiveness is not for the transgressor when I forgive them. Rather, to be able to say in my mind's eye to the person who has "wronged" me, I forgive you, has given me a great sense of relief and reclaiming my power in the particular relationship.

I just know that forgiveness comes in its own time and on its own terms for each of us. Though I have lost many loved ones in my life, I have never suffered a loss due to a violent crime, so I only speak from my own limited experience. I wish that we all can find our way to forgiveness, whatever that means to us individually, so that we can be released from the bondage that holds us back.

Sasquach, I thank you for you devotion to this cause and your beautiful garden. Compassion and beauty are in short supply these days. I actually will be inthe Portland area this fall and have planned extra time to visit this site. So much of this case just haunts me, I think its just the senslessness of it.

Sasquach, I thank you for you devotion to this cause and your beautiful garden. Compassion and beauty are in short supply these days. I actually will be inthe Portland area this fall and have planned extra time to visit this site. So much of this case just haunts me, I think its just the senslessness of it.

Thank you for your kind words PrairieWind! La Louve and I have been working really hard on trying to make it a place of beauty! I am so glad that you appreciate it! I agree, that there are so many unanswered questions. It is great that you will have a chance to visit the site, as well as visit Whitney's Garden.

Angel flying too close to the ground.....that song recently came to mind as I was thinking about Whitney. Except now this angel is soaring above the heavens, and probably showing the others what it was like to be an angel on earth. I sure don't want to hold her down with my anger and unforgiveness so I am apologizing to her and all of you. I am fortunate to have watched my fellow sleuthers in their pain over the unthinkable, their diligence in finding justice for Whitney, and finally seeing first-hand how to exchange ugliness for beauty.

Beautiful WH Garden! You have shared it with all when you could have held it close for your own comfort!

Huge thanks to Sasquatch, LaLouve, Caffeine and All!

You are welcome! Thank you for your kind words, Lordeebee! We know that you have a Big Heart! I do believe that many of us have went through similar emotions throughout the different stages of this case. It is our pleasure to be able to share the beauty of Whitney's Memorial Garden! :)

Thank you Lilibet for your kind words and big heart! also thank you Masyann, Midwest Mamma, La Louve, Caffeinejean, Desdemona, Starry1, Lordeebee and everyone else for your great posts and big hearts, too!

I would have to say that yesterday was pretty much summed up by the media. Like La Louve stated, Oregon City was busy and the courthouse had lines out the door. I had to park about 4 blocks away, and it took a few times circling to find a parking spot. Once I made it up to the courthouse, it was the usual ritual of dropping of keys, wallet and belt into the plastic bin, and then walking through the metal detector. I was hoping to arrive an hour before the hearing, but the busy traffic and lines made me arrive at the court room, one half hour before the hearing started.

The media pretty much summed up what went on at the hearing. Jonathan Holt went into the courtroom first, then Whitney's and Clint's families and friends followed a few minutes later. There were only a few reporters in the courtroom. The Oregonian, KGW-TV and KPTV. The rest of the broadcast media waited outside for the family's statement, after the hearing had ended.

Jonathan Holt pretty much kept his head down and answered in a very soft voice. He had a lawyer on each side of him, usually keeping a hand on his back throughout the hearing. He had longer hair and a beard. None of his family members attended that I could see. Most of the seats were filled up with Whitney's family and friends. Both Steve Mygrant, Deputy Clackamas County DA and Don Rees the prosecuting attorney/Senior Deputy DA from Multnomah County, were both representing Whitney's behalf.

The statements from Whitney's and Clint's family were touching. Clint's silent stare at JH was piercing just before his statement, and Jonathan Holt just put his head down even more. The family told JH what they thought of him. There were many heart-wrenching moments.

During the Plea, Jonathan Holt answered yes to taking WH into the Woods with the intention to kill her (Woods was most likely defined as driving WH to Roslyn Lake, but wasn't stated) and using a gun to take her life. Judge Herndon made sure that JH understood the Plea Deal that he signed on June 28th, 2013, and JH said Yes with his head slightly lowered. Judge Herndon mentioned the sentence as Life in Prison, with no chance of parole. He said that with the way Oregon's Death Penalty System is, that Life without Parole was probably the harshest penalty that could be given at this time and the judge then accepted the Plea Deal. Judge Herndon went on to say that out of all of his years as a judge, that JH was probably the most remorseful defendant accused of murder. This was a shock to hear, because I was expecting him to tell JH something along the same lines as he had told Ward Weaver, when he sentenced him to Life without Parole. Judge Herndon told Ward Weaver, "I hope there is a special place in hell for people like you". Ward Weaver had sexually assaulted and murdered two young girls and buried one of their bodies under a concrete slab. Ward Weaver took almost two years to reach a plea settlement. So it was obvious that Judge Herndon saw a difference in dealings with the two convicted murderers. Judge Herndon went on to talk about the formalities, such as the 3 aggravated murder charges will be combined and that the Multnomah County charges will be dropped. This Plea Hearing, pretty much put an end to JH's trial and further hearings. He will live and die in prison, with no chance for parole.

I had a chance to be with Whitney's and Clint's family members and friends throughout the whole ordeal. Never have I seen such a wonderful, caring and thoughtful group of people. They were all very thankful for the garden and what it represents! They were also very thankful for all of the support that I had provided.

It has been a lot to take in these past few days, but I do feel that Justice was served for Whitney, the best that it can be at this time. I am also glad that the family is now spared from having to go through a trial, like they had wished. The family stated that one of their clear intentions was to make sure that JH will not harm another person.

I would like to give a Big Thank You to everyone who sleuthed this case, and spent many hours working on finding answers. You all have a Big Heart!
Also a Big Thank You to Caffeinejean, Desdemona, La Louve, Kimster, Tennlyn, Kodi, Lordeebee, Neverletgo and many others who helped sleuth and keep in touch with many PM's. Thanks to La Louve for helping me create and maintain the wonderful garden that helped a family be able to go out to Roslyn Lake and feel that there is light and beauty, where there once was so much darkness. I can not count the amount of hugs and thanks that I have received over these past few days. I have felt so honored to act as a Witness, Advocate and part time gardener in Whitney's Memory! Every hug represented not only a thanks to me, but a thanks to the many people who spent countless hours helping find clues and keep Whitney's memory alive! I feel honored to be able to add my support to the family and friends of Whitney and Clint!

Sleep peacefully Whitney! There will be a day when your family and friends will hold you in their arms again! Your light does still shine on all of us, and your sweet personality and smile will always be remembered!

Media coverage of yesterday's Plea/Sentencing Hearing (some may be repeat links)
The Gresham Outlook
http://portlandtribune.com/go/42-news/156191-whitney-heichels-killer-to-spend-life-in-prison
KATU-TV
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Guilty-plea-expected-Monday-in-murder-of-21-year-old-Heichel-214606561.html
KOIN-TV
http://www.koin.com/2013/07/08/jonathan-holt-whitney-heichel-murder-plea/
KGW-TV
http://www.kgw.com/news/Accused-Heichel-killer-pleads-guilty-gets-life-in-prison-214660201.html
KPTV-TV
http://www.kptv.com/story/22785819/guilty-man-charged-with-whitney-heichels-murder-changes-plea
The Oregonian
http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index.ssf/2013/07/whitney_heichels_family_confro.html

I couldn't bring myself to snip any of your words, Sas, as your entire post is so endearing, much like sweet Whitney. I think of her and her family often and hope they are adjusting to the new normal that they have been dealt.

Grieving is a forever process, as many of us here know, and I am most thankful they are a tight-knit family, have such a strong faith, and also have incredible friends/brothers/sisters for love and support; all will be needed each time their scabs are torn off and begin to heal again, only to be reopened in the cycle that grief is. This painful path will need to be navigated throughout their lives, but thankfully, each step forward will grant them renewed healing.

If knowing Whitney's waiting at the end of their road, how could they not push forward? *nods and smiles*

I couldn't bring myself to snip any of your words, Sas, as your entire post is so endearing, much like sweet Whitney. I think of her and her family often and hope they are adjusting to the new normal that they have been dealt.

Grieving is a forever process, as many of us here know, and I am most thankful they are a tight-knit family, have such a strong faith, and also have incredible friends/brothers/sisters for love and support; all will be needed each time their scabs are torn off and begin to heal again, only to be reopened in the cycle that grief is. This painful path will need to be navigated throughout their lives, but thankfully, each step forward will grant them renewed healing.

If knowing Whitney's waiting at the end of their road, how could they not push forward? *nods and smiles*

Beautifully said Kodi. The thanks button was not enough.

Thank you for your kind words, Kodi! Also, Thank you for your contributions to this journey and for caring so much about Whitney and her loved ones! I feel honored that I had the opportunity to be there for the family, as well as share my experience with all who held Whitney so close to their hearts!

Whitney Heichel's Memorial Garden - Roslyn Lake, Oregon July 12, 2013

“Grace doesn't depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.” ― Wm. Paul Young, The Shack

Sasquatch,

This is good news! Life w/o parole. Keeping Whitney's husband, family and friends in my prayers. I'm sure the family is very thankful that you were there with them too!

The garden is just beautiful! Everything in bloom...

Sasquatch,

This is good news! Life w/o parole. Keeping Whitney's husband, family and friends in my prayers. I'm sure the family is very thankful that you were there with them too!

Thank you Imamaze! I am happy that the family does not have to go through a trial, as they had wished. I am also happy that JH will not ever get out of prison, and have a chance to harm another person. It has been my honor to be there for the family! I am so happy that you love the garden. La Louve and I have been working real hard by keeping the garden watered and looking nice! We have been able to share with many people in person, the story of all of the flowers!

Sasquatch,

BBM

Thanks Imamaze! It's so wonderful to have the garden in full bloom, isn't it? It wasn't that many months ago it was cold and rainy and a beautiful garden of blooms was not much more than a hardy little miniature rose in a pot (and another hiding near the tree), and lots of hopes and prayers.

Like our hopes and prayers for justice for Whitney, it seems timely that the garden is at its loveliest now that the judicial phase is over. I'm happy so many family and friends have recently been able to visit the garden and hold this lovely image in their hearts and minds while they experience the closure of the hearing and sentencing, and enter another phase of their grief.

The Bluegirl rose is just perfect, it's not too bushy and the blooms stand very vertically. It fits the spot it's in just right. The flowers have a beautiful fragrance and the color is so soft and intriguing. The little mini I brought out has some deep salmon-colored buds. Each time it blooms they seem a bit different. The mini that Sasquatch brought and we resurrected may yet bloom this season. It's got tons of new growth on it. The mini that Amber and Travis moved from near the tree is adjusting well too and I think it will be setting some buds soon.

We've had hot dry weather and Sasquatch and I have been going out every day to water. I went out today and gave everything a good drink but nothing was looking distressed from the heat. The little violas we found are all doing pretty well too!

Lately after I get done watering and weeding, I pick berries. Near the turnout are wild Himalayan blackberries, that grow along the ground and in the grass. Tiny but very sweet when you can find them ripe. Vicious thorns. Also down Thomas road almost to Lusted road, there are lots of thimbleberries. They are sort of a wild raspberry (I think) with a very soft bright red cap, sort of seedy but just in a crunchy way, and a delicate flavor. The plants themselves are really pretty and not thorny at all. Also been finding lots of dried ripe cherries fallen from trees.

Today some friends of Whitney's came by to plant some lovely white daisies in the garden. Sasquatch yesterday kindly prepared a spot for them and I happened to be there when they came out. I gave them their privacy and as they left they drove by and stopped to thank us for the garden. They were such a lovely young couple, so much of their lives still ahead of them. I felt so badly for them, to have this happen to someone they clearly love so dearly. No one should have to lose a friend so young and in such a horrible manner.

Prayers tonight for all of Whitney's family and friends who are hurting.

La Louve

What a beautiful garden! Thanks so much for the new photos, Sasquatch, and the description, LaLouve. What a gift for Whitney's family and friends! I hope you live close by if you are watering every day.

And yes, Himalayan blackberries are the best! That brings back fond memories. Years ago, when we lived in the Northern California redwoods, we always went down by the Eel River to pick them. Our many buckets became yummy jam on our wood cookstove. Our Samoyed, Heather, loved being fed berries while we picked. :) Enjoy.

P.S. Sasquatch, would it be OK if I use one of your photos in my signature or avatar?

I agree Sasquatch, I am glad the family doesn't have to go thru a trial as well and he will never get out!

La Louve, it is wonderful to have the garden in full bloom, I can still remember seeing the pics when you all first started it. I am
so glad the family got to see it too! I was wondering if they had and might have missed where you all said that, but I'm glad. It looks like all of the flowers are doing wonderfully.

Thank you Sasquatch and La Louve for sharing the garden and stories with all of us. :hug:

Ima

The garden is just breathtaking! Soo beautiful. How tall the roses have become! Thank you so much Sasquatch and La Louve!

I'm glad that he got sentenced and that part is over. I'm also glad Clint forced him to look him in the eye.

I wish them all that they can heal in peace now.

You are welcome! Thank you Lilibet, Imamaze and Elainera! I am very happy with how the garden has turned out, too! Thank you La Louve for all that you have done! Lilibet, you are welcome to use my photos for your signature or avatar/ or both! I am honored that I have had the opportunity to help create and work on Whitney's Memorial Garden! I am also honored to have had the opportunity to share this journey with everyone!

Just like Whitney's Memorial Garden Sign, we now have Daisies and Butterflies in her garden!

A butterfly! How lovely :)

Would it be possible to put a bench next to or opposite the garden for people to sit?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back