Found Deceased OR - Zack Brenneman, 16, Endangered, last seen West Salem HS football game, Salem, 16 Sept 2022

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1663749969270.png

SALEM Ore. (KPTV) - Police are investigating the disappearance of a teenager from Salem.

16-year-old Zack Brenneman was last seen at a West Salem High School football game on Friday, Sep. 16.

Angela Hedrick, communications director with the City of Salem confirmed to FOX 12 on Tuesday that the teen was considered endangered but the case was not being considered a criminal investigation.

Police did not release any further information, because they said the case involves a minor.

A post by the teen’s mother on Facebook described Zack as 5′8″ tall, weighing roughly 120 pounds. Last seen wearing black jeans, a black shirt, a black jacket, and dark blue shoes.

If anyone sees Brenneman or knows of their whereabouts they are urged to call the Salem police department at 503-588-6123 and reference case number 22-20902.

<modsnip>

I know quite a bit about high school football since I have worked games on Friday nights for years. It usually takes about 3 hours to play a varsity game so the West Salem game may not have been over by 9pm.
Usually during half-time, the marching band will take the field for a performance, so I wonder if Zach participated in something like that and then wasn't seen after? The timing would be just about right. Most high school bands stay together in the stands and play during the first half of the game, then they go to the field to do their half-time performance, and during the 3rd quarter, they are free to take a break. Band members tend to use that time to take a restroom break, go speak to family and friends, and visit the concession stand. Then, just before the 4th quarter, they return to their places and continue playing in support of the team for the rest of the game.
I wonder if authorities have reviewed surveillance from the football stadium. If he exited before the game was over, they would surely be able to see that. Gates are closely monitored and most stadiums only have a few locations to both enter and exit games. Officers are stationed at or near each one throughout the game, or this has been my experience.
Most schools now have a no-bag or clear-bag-only policy and they make use of handheld metal detectors. These effort make it more difficult to slip anything nefarious through the gates.

I'm hoping Zach is ok but I'm concerned for him.

If you want a peek at the stadium on the very night when Zach was last seen, you can take a look at this highlight reel from MaxPreps. West Salem played North Medford and lost 35-14. It's easy to see that the games this time of year start off in full sunlight, but end when it's dark.

North Medford High School (OR) Varsity Football

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

I know quite a bit about high school football since I have worked games on Friday nights for years. It usually takes about 3 hours to play a varsity game so the West Salem game may not have been over by 9pm.
Usually during half-time, the marching band will take the field for a performance, so I wonder if Zach participated in something like that and then wasn't seen after? The timing would be just about right. Most high school bands stay together in the stands and play during the first half of the game, then they go to the field to do their half-time performance, and during the 3rd quarter, they are free to take a break. Band members tend to use that time to take a restroom break, go speak to family and friends, and visit the concession stand. Then, just before the 4th quarter, they return to their places and continue playing in support of the team for the rest of the game.
I wonder if authorities have reviewed surveillance from the football stadium. If he exited before the game was over, they would surely be able to see that. Gates are closely monitored and most stadiums only have a few locations to both enter and exit games. Officers are stationed at or near each one throughout the game, or this has been my experience.
Most schools now have a no-bag or clear-bag-only policy and they make use of handheld metal detectors. These effort make it more difficult to slip anything nefarious through the gates.

I'm hoping Zach is ok but I'm concerned for him.

If you want a peek at the stadium on the very night when Zach was last seen, you can take a look at this highlight reel from MaxPreps. West Salem played North Medford and lost 35-14. It's easy to see that the games this time of year start off in full sunlight, but end when it's dark.

North Medford High School (OR) Varsity Football
Thanks for the insight. In regards to Zack being in the marching band, I would think (imo) that he would have been in a band uniform if he were performing. The report indicates he was last seen wearing black jeans, a black shirt, a black jacket, and dark blue shoes. Not to say he couldn't have changed, but then he's missing with his instrument, uniform, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the insight. In regards to Zack being in the marching band, I would think (imo) that he would have been in a band uniform if he were performing. The report indicates he was last seen wearing black jeans, a black shirt, a black jacket, and dark blue shoes. Not to say he couldn't have changed, but then he's missing with his instrument, uniform, etc.

That's a good point.
I wonder if the West Salem band ever performs in their street clothes? I know our bands do this from time to time.

I wish we knew more so we could have a better understanding about how Zack arrived at the game and how he was supposed to return home. It would be great to know what mood he was in that night or if he was seen talking with anyone.

MOD NOTE:
We welcome new members to Websleuths to discuss this troubling case.

PLEASE review the WS rules we ALL agreed to when we joined.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forums/the-rules.159/

The Terms of Service are intentionally strict as WS is the gold standard of true crime discussion websites, and we all work hard to keep it that way.

Here are a few of the key rules:
- Post only facts, and that must be linked to the source of those facts.
- If it can’t be linked, it can’t be posted. That includes any pictures.
- Approved links are from mainstream media (MSM) or law enforcement (LE) statements.
- The ONLY social media links links permitted are those from MSM, LE, the victim, or the OFFICIAL missing page if there is one established. REDDIT IS SOCIAL MEDIA, anonymous, nothing verified.
- NO public comments from ANY source are allowed as they cannot be verified.
- NO ONE may be accused/speculated/sleuthed unless they are the victims or persons NAMED BY LE as a suspect or POI.
- If you have inside info you want to share without providing links, YOU MUST BE APPROVED AS A VERIFIED INSIDER. Link to do so is in my signature below.

Websleuths is FACT-BASED and VICTIM-FRIENDLY.
Family members are considered victims also unless/until LE tells us they are suspects or POIs.
Posts that are in violation of ANY of the Websleuths’ TOS are subject to removal, as are all the replies that quote and/or reference the violating post.

PLEASE use the Report button at the bottom of any post if you come upon a post that is questionable regarding Websleuths’ TOS.

That's a good point.
I wonder if the West Salem band ever performs in their street clothes? I know our bands do this from time to time.

I wish we knew more so we could have a better understanding about how Zack arrived at the game and how he was supposed to return home. It would be great to know what mood he was in that night or if he was seen talking with anyone.
I was looking at the videos from the game and I don't see the band in any of them, not even in the stands. So I think Zack must have been attending, not playing, somewhere in the stands or possibly in the grass surrounding the field. There's been some activity on a Fox news post about a potential sighting ~50 miles away, so hopefully there's some leverage to that.

Still missing...

SEP 25, 2022
[...]

The family has not given any interviews, but issued the following statement to local media: “We greatly appreciate our local community and everything they have done for Zack. We also appreciate the hard work and dedication that Salem PD has shown towards finding Zack. We can’t give enough thanks to everyone, for sharing and posting the flyers throughout town, social media, and regions beyond our local communities.”

In an email to parents and other community members, West Salem High School Principal Carlos Ruiz explained that staff had searched the campus building and continue to work with the district safety team and police. He added that counselors were available to students who needed support.

Hedrick said people with information about this case or Zack’s whereabouts should contact the Salem Police Department at (503) 588-6123 and mention case number 22-20902. The family also has posted an email to reach them at findzackb@gmail.com.

Still missing...

SEP 25, 2022
[...]

The family has not given any interviews, but issued the following statement to local media: “We greatly appreciate our local community and everything they have done for Zack. We also appreciate the hard work and dedication that Salem PD has shown towards finding Zack. We can’t give enough thanks to everyone, for sharing and posting the flyers throughout town, social media, and regions beyond our local communities.”

In an email to parents and other community members, West Salem High School Principal Carlos Ruiz explained that staff had searched the campus building and continue to work with the district safety team and police. He added that counselors were available to students who needed support.

Hedrick said people with information about this case or Zack’s whereabouts should contact the Salem Police Department at (503) 588-6123 and mention case number 22-20902. The family also has posted an email to reach them at findzackb@gmail.com.

I'm saddened the statement didn't contain any comments directly to Zack, such as, "We miss you. Please come home."
I do hope he will soon be located safe and sound.

*ADMIN REMINDER*
Please remember that until/unless information about this missing teen comes from an MSM source that is linked, it may NOT be brought here to discuss.
THANK YOU for following this very specific TOS.

coco

Found deceased. No signs of foul play.

SALEM, Ore. (KPTV) - The teen who went missing Sept 16 after a high school football game was found dead in a waterway, according to the Salem Police Department.

Officers were called to the area of the Willamette River on Northwest Wallace Road about a report of a body in the waterway. The body matched the description of the missing teenager Zackary Brenneman.

Found deceased. No signs of foul play.

SALEM, Ore. (KPTV) - The teen who went missing Sept 16 after a high school football game was found dead in a waterway, according to the Salem Police Department.

Officers were called to the area of the Willamette River on Northwest Wallace Road about a report of a body in the waterway. The body matched the description of the missing teenager Zackary Brenneman.

Heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back