Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases

This a funny thread.........I don't pay too much attention to how people talk, even though I do catch words and sayings that are very different than the way I speak.

Like doin', bein', see'n......I thought that Ms. Alaska who ran with McCain sounded like the the poster girl for the dumbing down of America.

I don't think I'm very folksy!

Have a great day everyone......
and God Bless you all.

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama
:blowkiss::blowkiss:

How about when people say: "Quote Unquote" and they do that little hooky thing with their fingers to demonstrate a quote.

Another one: "You didn't hear it from me,but....."

There's also: your and you're and their and they're

I've got a million of them folks! LOL!

Mine is dropping the "g" of words and "betcha" followed by a wink........

Dude is another example.........

A personal bugaboo - "in a good place"....meaning someone seems to be happy or content.

"How's George doing?"
"Oh, he's great. He's in a really great place!"

Blecch!!

Two that drive me crazy:

1) When someone says something (usually a color) really "pops." For some reason that grates on my nerves, probably from overuse.

2) "Emotional roller coaster" -- ugh...find a new phrase!

:eek:

You just removed about 95% of my communication style. I want to apologize for annoying the bulk of you, lol....

This a funny thread.........I don't pay too much attention to how people talk, even though I do catch words and sayings that are very different than the way I speak.

Like doin', bein', see'n......I thought that Ms. Alaska who ran with McCain sounded like the the poster girl for the dumbing down of America.

I don't think I'm very folksy!

Have a great day everyone...
and God Bless you all.

xxxxxxxxxooooo
mama

It really makes me mad when someone has to butt into a neutral thread and make political remarks.

I can't stand would of, could of, and should of.

It should be would HAVE, could HAVE, or should HAVE.

"My bad". Uggghhh...I want to poke my eardrums out when someone says that.

Or how EVERYTHING is "Awesome!" or "Amazing!" Amazing reminds me of Scott Peterson and how he was always saying that Lacy was amazing. :behindbar The main reason I don't like it.

Have a great day!:blowkiss:

It really makes me mad when someone has to butt into a neutral thread and make political remarks.

Sorry drew, I apologize. Didn't have anything to do with politics, guess i could have mentioned the plummer too.
BTW.....like both of them.

oooooooooxxxxx
mama

I just thought of another one. I personally don't like it when women refer to their breasts as "the girls". Huh? :waitasec:

Oh, and another one, speaking of "girls" - my hubby does this and it drives me crazy - referring to grown women as "girls".

"This girl came to my office and applied for a job" says hubby, and I respond "Oh, do you mean a woman came to your office to apply for a job?"

imho

I just thought of another one. I personally don't like it when women refer to their breasts as "the girls". Huh? :waitasec:

Oh, and another one, speaking of "girls" - my hubby does this and it drives me crazy - referring to grown women as "girls".

"This girl came to my office and applied for a job" says hubby, and I respond "Oh, do you mean a woman came to your office to apply for a job?"

imho

You're poor hubby, being picked on over semantics, by a GIRL no less! :crazy:

I've always disliked "it's all good," as well.

Snipped for the part that made me laugh loudly (and my head hurts, so, it didn't go so well!)

It annoys me when people say "in my minds eye..."

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. Just spit out the plan, stop adding on "In my minds eye" before you tell me every single thing you're thinking. I'm gonna poke your mind's eye with a spork if you keep it up!

imho

sandra......I've never heard of *advertiser censored*'s being called the "girls"

When you get my age (almost 74) we ALL call ourselves girls. I have a girlfirend who is 80 and you should see how gorgeous she is. ex-starlet with MGM, gorgeous skin.......oh, and ton's of energy. Of course i hate her! LOL

Wish I could her photo up but my computer is screwed up right now.....

Nite all...........I'm off for a nap!

xxxxxxxoo
mama

Thank you DK. I'm high on radiation steroids today and am thinking of joining the NFL. LOL

YOU'RE THE BEST DK.............HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEE

XXXXXXXXXOO
Old mama

Call the Oakland Raiders, they'd probably draft you, LOL! :blowkiss:

I confess I am an addicted user of "with all due respect" on my posts, far too often.

I can't stand people turning nouns into nonsense nouns by adding random suffixes--same with verbs. It's a horrible habit of home decorating show hosts--"We've increased the "functionality" of this room by adding shelves and a desk."

Functionality? Please, no!

The phrase I find most annoying is: "what I'll call......"

My boss and now one of his assistants say that as a prefix to everything. "What I'll call a telephone." "Will you order me, what I'll call, lunch." "I am, what I'll call, annoyed."

Drives me nuts! It is like some god complex that they are personally creating names for things as they speak - you know?

This cracked me up for some reason. Must be something it reminds me of.

I hate when I hear on a TV movie when some guy says,
"Are you hitting that thing", or "I'd like to hit that!!"

Oh, that drives me insane.:rolleyes:

Goz

"For real" this is my little sister favorite saying. I always reply back "no for fake "

"You know what" can't stand that one either. I ask if they will introduce me to "what" cause we have not met.

Ending a sentence with "you know". No if I know why are you telling me again.

This is a fun and entertaining thread. :)

One thing that annoys me is when a person will insult another person, and then follows with "bless her/his heart." :eek:

I love this thread. I agree with so many of these, especially the "prolly". I hate that. Is it really that much more work to type probably?

Here's another one I hate: "I thought to myself....." Um, who else would you think to?

Turn your pet linguistic peeves into a game for your next meeting, conference, class, etc. Try your favorite of the Bingo games from this website. I wish I'd known about the election, McCain, Obama, and Palin versions a few weeks ago!

Important note: this website has a "four-letter word" in the URL and the website name. If that bothers you, don't click on this link!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6fwvs3

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73