Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Phrases

I hate it when an elderly person is introduced as (insert age) years young!
Such as---- "And meet Sally Smith who just turned 87 years young'

It seems so condescending to me, and like there is something wrong with being old so we'll pretend the person is not old.

It's so DUMB!

#8 drives me up the wall when people TYPE it! It's one thing to say it that way, but at least type it correctly!

(ETA: For those who don't know, it's "Shouldn't have" not "shouldn't of.")

ITA! I've always hated that. It makes me wonder if people really don't know or if they are just lazy.

Not all University of Oxford researchers are uptight and humorless, "irregardless" of what you might think. In fact, a bunch of them compiled a list of the Top 10 Most Irritating Expressions in the English language -- just because we needed one.

Though maybe "you could care less," the scholars in question keep track of linguistic mangling and overused buzzwords in a database called the Oxford University Corpus. The voluminous record keeps track of books, magazines, broadcast, online media and other sources, watching for new overused, tiresome phrases and retiring those that fade from use (or misuse).

The great hierarchy of verbal fatigue includes:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time
5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/7
10 - It's not rocket science

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/11/oxford-research.html

#10 drives me nuts, only because my DH always says "its not rocket scientry". WTH? Scientry isn't even a word. That makes me insane.

I am a very busy secretary and I really, really dislike it when people call me on the phone and say, "I'd really hate to bugya, but..." ----Well, then don't bug me you probably have the answer to your own question anyway!
Sorry, that was more of a rant!
:boohoo:

Well since we are throwing in annoying phrases, I cannot frikkin stand when people say "I know right???" as in a sentence and not asking a question, and they say it after everything they say lol
OMG! My DH and I knew this girl that uses that phrase all the time. Now I equate it with stupidity because she wasn't very bright. She had a calendar on the wall and it was all filled in. Every single Sunday would be the same thing, lets say "grocery shopping", every Monday was "do laundry", every Tuesday, "wash the dogs". I mean really, if you do the same thing every day of every week, do you really need to write it down? I know, right???

I am a very busy secretary and I really, really dislike it when people call me on the phone and say, "I'd really hate to bugya, but..." ----Well, then don't bug me you probably have the answer to your own question anyway!
Sorry, that was more of a rant!
:boohoo:

I know, right? (sorry, I couldn't resist). I work at a doctor's office and the most long winded people will call and say that exact thing. Or, "I know you are busy, but...." which is usually followed by, "I hate to bother you"... Then please, DON'T!

The word I hate the most is "whatnot."

It doesn't make sense to me. There's no point in using it. It's just irritating.

Oh yeah - How is Roger today? It just seems so condescending.
People who talk about themselves in the third person......I don't even know what to say about them.

I really don't like it when people my age or younger call me "sweetie".

Finally, yes I do want to kill them.....or at least just wear ear plugs or tape their mouths shut. It was bad enough when it was just the boss but now that his little 'mini-me' has joined in I just want to rip my hair out.

Just put up a sign with the last amount awarded in a sexual harrassment
suit should be easy to find - just the amount - when they ask what that is tell them but of course add the SWEETIE .................

The word I hate the most is "whatnot."

It doesn't make sense to me. There's no point in using it. It's just irritating.

HILARIOUS!!

Only to me, and only b/c my 12yo son recently discovered this word; finding it quirky and interesting (much like himself!) he has made it his mission to bring it into common usage. He is driving me up a wall by using it as frequently as possible.

The level of absurdity at our house is pretty high. :crazy:

That yada-yada-yada thing is worn out.

And have you heard "cool" or "kewl" enough?

The word "sea-change" has been so over used it's changed my opinion of a lot of educated professionals.

But here's the one that blacks me out; Ending every sentence with "does that make sense"? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:

I always want to say, 'it did until you ask if it makes sense. Or, if you ask me that again, I'll black both your eyes'....which really does make a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

"sea-change"?? I don't know what that is. Quick, tell me so I can be annoyed when people use it!:D

I dislike these:

"my bad"
"like totally"
"that's retarded"

and:

"word"
"word up"
"just kidding" (I want to say, "No. You were not 'just kidding'. You were 'wrong'. Rather than to admit that you made a mistake you have to say some stupid teenage catch phrase and after it grin like a cheshire cat.")

I know. I am getting really old and short tempered with the younger generation. It's a right of passage. I'm over 50 and I no longer have to pretend I like something which clearly irritates the crap out of me. :)

I'm "sick" of hearing my teens tell me how "sick" everything is. That's sick, this is sick, look at how sick it is. There's an epidemic! One more that I'm hearing a lot of lately is, "man". Man this, man that, ya know man, and man, that bites. Ok, last one, "dude". Start a sentence with dude, throw in a sick or bites and end with a man. "Dude, that guitar is sick, man." or "Man, that bites dude."

I feel so much better for getting this out of my system :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smartowl
Back