PA - 11 killed, 6 injured in mass shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue, 27 Oct 2018 *guilty, death sentence*

It's Time to Talk About What's Radicalizing White Male Terrorists

In America, where antiterrorist thought has ruled the century, a citizen's safety faces far greater risk due to texting while driving or tripping down the stairs than being killed by a foreign-born refugee jihadist. Women in America face more danger from their husbands than they do a Muslim terrorist. In America, where predominantly white and predominantly male antigovernment militias rank as law enforcement's most prevalent threat, according to a 2015 report, law enforcement agents face more significant danger from armed white men than Jihadists. Yet here we are, willfully aiming to dismantle any semblance of growing extremist thought, while ignoring the many different forms of radicalization that are resulting in a large swath of vicious behavior.

In regards to the media not glorifying the shooters. I have to disagree. I can name the killers in recent shootings, but not one victim off the top of my head. I can tell you Nikolas Cruz’s life story, bc it’s constantly reported on. But what about his victims? A few blurbs here and there, mainly right after the tragedy. However he, the killer, is the main focus in the media. JMO

Yes, learn more about the victims in all of these cases. The means to do so exists. Many, many stories were written about them. There are threads here about many of them, too.

Unfortunately, I must also agree with you to a certain extent because there are simply so, so, so many victims. Hundreds. Thousands. It’s difficult to remember them all, and it’s tragic. Heartbreaking.

Yes, learn more about the victims in all of these cases. The means to do so exists. Many, many stories were written about them. There are threads here about many of them, too.

Unfortunately, I must also agree with you to a certain extent because there are simply so, so, so many victims. Hundreds. Thousands.

I have certainly read and learned about the victims but okay and thanks for the suggestion on how to educate myself. However those articles are not as frequent and they die down after the shootings. But the articles about the killers keep on coming, years after the tragedies.

I'm not optimistic at all about things like this. I don't think they will ever go away, especially with our politicians and the young people following them, sometimes on both sides.

I'm very sad for PGH and the Jewish community today. My family is Jewish, I have a now-deceased relative who was the only person from his immediate family who survived the Holocaust. The persecution is sickening and my heart aches for our country. If it isn't the synagogue, it's the church, or the movie theater, or the school, or the grocery store. I know living in fear is "letting them win," but I do live in fear when I'm out in public these days. I'm always vigilant and aware of my surroundings and locations of exits. Sometimes it's hard not to wonder, "when will it be my turn?" rather than "if."
I hear you. My daughter married into a Jewish family and her toddler son, my grandson is being raised to know his Jewish heritage. He attends a story time at a neighborhood synagogue weekly and I worry for him. Actually I worry period. As a former teacher and now substitute in my former (work) high school, we have armed guards at the door. And the school is semi rural South Jersey. You're correct when you say it's fearful everywhere. Sad.

Last edited:
I have certainly read and learned about the victims but okay and thanks for the suggestion on how to educate myself. However those articles are not as frequent and they die down after the shootings. But the articles about the killers keep on coming, years after the tragedies.

I’m not telling you what to do. I’m agreeing with you that the the victims are important. I apologize for not making that more clear.

I’ve been reading about the second anniversary of the Pulse shootings, and the survivors. The anniversary of the Vegas shootings and the memorials and rememberances, too. Same with 9/11, the Oklahoma City bombing, the murder of Blaze Bernstein, the Columbine victims, the Virginia Tech survivors and victims.

Their tragedies and stories live long after these perpetrators either off themselves or end up in prison. But that’s just my opinion.

The justice process is also reported on, which can take years. Perpetrators admittedly gain some infamy from their crimes, but the pursuit of justice is newsworthy and necessary, imo.

The victims’ lives, stories, resilience, survival and experiences are indeed exceedingly important, imo. I definitely agree with you on that.

Last edited:
I’m not telling you what to do. I’m agreeing with you that the the victims are important. I apologize for not making that more clear.

I’ve been reading about the second anniversary of the Pulse shootings, and the survivors. The anniversary of the Vegas shootings and the memorials and rememberances, too. Same with 9/11, the Oklahoma City bombing, the murder of Blaze Bernstein, the Columbine victims, the Virginia Tech survivors and victims.

Their tragedies and stories live long after these perpetrators either off themselves or end up in prison. But that’s just my opinion.

Their lives, stories, resilience, survival and experiences are indeed exceedingly important, imo. I definitely agree with you on that.

Yes their stories are more important than the stories of the shooters. Let professionals analyze the shooters privately to look for patterns, triggers, etc. But I wish the media would tone down reporting on the killers and focus more on the victims. It doesn’t seem as bad when it’s “just” one victim, but in these mass victim murders, the media can’t help themselves when it comes to reporting on the “scandalous” details of the shooter. Human nature I guess, but I think it would really be a good thing if it was toned down a notch or ten.

Today is a very sad and tragic day, indeed.

11 killed, several wounded, in Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

BREAKING: Eleven dead and six others shot by gunman at Pittsburgh synagogue, city official says. More details will follow.

A gunman killed 11 people at a Pittsburgh synagogue during Saturday-morning services in what the Anti-Defamation League called "likely the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in the history of the United States.”​

What a terrible terrible day, 11 people dead because of their faith. On the Sabbath no less. In a sacred holy space devoted to life, it has become the deadliest attack on the Jewish Community in the history of our country. I am so very sorry my Jewish brothers and sisters. I weep with you.

What you’re doing is exactly the right thing, margarita! I admire you for that. This is how we affect change in the world around us — where it most matters. Bless you ♥️♥️♥️

It's true. There's a great documentary I watched called I Am. It was abouthow a movie producer went around the world and talked to all the most brilliant minds and scientists in order to determine whether humans are inherently evil, selfish and violent or inherently coooperative and good.

I won't spoil the film but in it some researchers show how simply smiling and being positive affects the actual air around you. It causes changes in molecules and changes people you encounter.

Well need to smile more at others and try to spread kindness like @margarita25!!

The Physics of Emotion: Candace Pert on Feeling Go(o)d • Six Seconds

It's an all around incredible documentary and it really has a lot of other good stuff in it. Amazing. Like how the earth has a pulse that can be tracked and how it sort of sighs deeply every time there is a horrible, massive scale tragedy.

Sounds like real hippy stuff but it's all backed by real science and research which I like.

It's available on Netflix I think:

Yes their stories are more important than the stories of the shooters. Let professionals analyze the shooters privately to look for patterns, triggers, etc. But I wish the media would tone down reporting on the killers and focus more on the victims. It doesn’t seem as bad when it’s “just” one victim, but in these mass victim murders, the media can’t help themselves when it comes to reporting on the “scandalous” details of the shooter. Human nature I guess, but I think it would really be a good thing if it was toned down a notch or ten.

The details are important. The who, what, when, where, and the how and why.

I totally get where you’re coming from, and understand the point you’re making. Coverage can feel — and, at times BE — lopsided. Balancing the coverage should indeed be deliberate and thoughtful, and that doesn’t always happen.

It's true. There's a great documentary I watched called I Am. It was abouthow a movie producer went around the world and talked to all the most brilliant minds and scientists in order to determine whether humans are inherently evil, selfish and violent or inherently coooperative and good.

I won't spoil the film but in it some researchers show how simply smiling and being positive affects the actual air around you. It causes changes in molecules and changes people you encounter.

Well need to smile more at others and try to spread kindness like @margarita25!!

The Physics of Emotion: Candace Pert on Feeling Go(o)d • Six Seconds

It's an all around incredible documentary and it really has a lot of other good stuff in it. Amazing. Like how the earth has a pulse that can be tracked and how it sort of sighs deeply every time there is a horrible, massive scale tragedy.

Sounds like real hippy stuff but it's all backed by real science and research which I like.

It's available on Netflix I think:

Oh my goodness Gitana1!
The trailer brought me to tears!
THANK YOU so much for sharing this.
Am on the hunt to find and view it now.
“The SHIFT is about to hit the fan.”
BRILLIANT!

This is just terrible. I lived in Squirrel Hill and it was such a nice friendly place. I wouldn't be surprised if the building didn't have any security. It felt like a different world because it felt so safe.
I lived there too, and loved it. Pittsburgh was never home but Squirrel Hill (the Squill) was very much my home. It's a special place - one I think most Pittsburghers have a connection to one way or another.

Glorifying how? By reporting on these mass murders?

There is nothing glorious or sensationalistic about reporting on hate crimes, mass murder or tragic violence like this.

Don't shoot the messenger.

It's really inappropriate right now, imho.

This is a horrible mass-casualty event. The shooter, for once, is alive and in custody.

By any gauge, this is a newsworthy, tragic act of extreme violence that must be covered by our free press.

Suppressing coverage for any reason right now would be ... odd (to say the least), and possibly unconstitutional.

Amen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back