ACTIVE SEARCH PA- A Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing in 2011 has experts at odds: Was it a suicide or homicide?

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by wawashortie, Mar 19, 2019.

1. wawashortie

wawashortie New Member

Link to Philadelphia Inquirer 2019 article:

A Philly teacher’s brutal stabbing has experts at odds: Was it a suicide or homicide?

On January 26, 2011, Ellen Greenberg, 27, was engaged to Samuel Goldberg, 28, when he found her dead in the apartment they shared in Philadelphia’s Manayunk section.

The Medical Examiner’s report states that Ellen was stabbed 20 times—10 of the stab wounds were to the back of her neck. It also details 11 bruises found on the right side of her body on the arms, abdomen and legs.

The Medical Examiner’s office ruled that the manner of death was a homicide. A few weeks later the police department determined that there was no foul play and in a rare event on March 7, 2011, the Medical Examiner’s office changed it’s ruling from homicide to suicide. The case was closed by the Philly PD, with the final ruling listed as suicide.

For the past 8 years, Ellen’s parents have tried to get answers- what really happened to Ellen?

Well known forensic pathologist, Dr. Cyril H. Whect, reviewed the autopsy report, photos of her body from the autopsy, photos of her body from the crime scene, and the ME’s investigation report from the scene. The 2012 report was labeled “strongly suspicious of homicide” and Dr. Whect said “I don’t understand how they wrote this off as a suicide.” The PD refused to release their files for Dr. Wecht’s review.

Ellen’s parents are hoping that her case will be reopened and a thorough investigation completed so that they finally get answers regarding their daughter’s Death.

At the end of the Philadelphia Inquirer article there is a link to the autopsy, experts reports and other documents.

Ellen’s family has also started a Facebook page “Justice for Ellen.”

Elisaa444, LadyL, Tripod and 5 others like this.
  2. wawashortie

wawashortie New Member

3. cherrymeg

cherrymeg Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but this doesn't seem like suicide.

musicaljoke and wawashortie like this.
  4. megaCB

megaCB Member

Wow, this case is wild. Stabbing sure doesn't seem like a "painless suicide" method, but if she had that search term on her computer and had been experiencing extreme depression and anxiety, combined with the zero defensive wounds, nothing heard by neighbors, locked from the inside apartment... maybe that's the case?

Tripod, wawashortie and BrownRice like this.
  5. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

That is really strange. Not sure what to think.

Tripod and wawashortie like this.
  6. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

there was blood on the bottom of one of her boots... and the horizontal blood stream from her nose isn't really explained.

Tripod and wawashortie like this.
  7. CoreyRocks

CoreyRocks Well-Known Member

Once the Save the Date cards were sent did the groom chichen out?

Seems fishy to me.

Anyone could have Googled painless suicide on her computer. Stabbing isn't painless. I think it was staged to look like a suicide.

When I die and THEY search my computer, please tell THEM I research crime and belong to WS. Just saying.

8. wawashortie

wawashortie New Member

I agree. I think the save the date cards sent one of them over the edge. Initially, I really thought Ellen committed suicide but after reading comments on the site where the article was published, I think she was murdered by her fiancé (if these comments were true).

I read that he called his uncle, who is described as being well-connected in Philly (high profile Philly lawyer) and that this man was one of the first people on the scene.

The investigation was treated 100% as a suicide right out of the gate. Fiancé was intervied but was not treated as a suspect. I also read that he had a “new girl” living in the same apartment that Ellen died in within 6 months.

But what really eats away at me is that she had 11 bruises on the right side of her body. It does not sound like Philly will reopen the case, but I’m hoping that someone gets a chance to do so.

Tripod and TGIRecovered like this.
  9. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Exactly. Multiple stab wounds is not painless suicide. I find it hard to understand why it was treated as suicide because it seems like a very unusual method to commit suicide. And how do you stab yourself multiple times in the back? If she was googling painless suicide, I don't think she would have killed herself through multiple stab wounds. I googled painless suicide for research purposes on this case and there was no suggestions that multiple stab wounds is the way to commit painless suicide.
    That's certainly not painless. It's a very strange case to say the least. But even assuming she was suicidal, a suicidal person can still be murdered. The door was locked from the inside but apparently those bar locks could be manipulated from the outside. So somebody could have killed her then manipulated the lock.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  10. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

I don't know of many suicides where victim stabbed herself multiple times to death. So even staging this as a suicide is strange. Why would somebody stage it that way?

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

No doubt this is a bizarre case! I'm still leaning toward a suicide, but do think more investigation needs to be done.