GUILTY PA - Barbara Rowan, 14, raped & murdered, Trevose, 3 Aug 1984

I live in the Philadelphia area this is the first Ive ever head of this particular case (we get so many) is there anywhere I can review the facts of the case?

I think there are several links on this thread with the basic details. Since you are LE, you may want to look into whether there is a possible link between Barbara's case and the disappearance of Shelley Luty from the Llanerch diner in Upper Darby.

Shelly Luty said goodbye to her mother at the Llanarch Diner on Township Line Road as she ended her 11 p.m. waitressing shift on August 23, 1982. She walked out to the parking lot, got in her car, and was never seen again.

Shelly had borrowed her stepfather's car to drive to work. She had parked the car on a poorly lit street acress from the diner. The car has also disappeared. The car was a mint green Chevy Impala.

According to her mother who was working at the diner where her daughter disappeared, a man who had been in the diner left just minutes before her daughter. Witnesses say the same man was talking to Shelly in the parking lot of the diner. He is described as a white male, 25-29 years of age, about 5'10-6'0 with athletic build.

The reason that makes me think there could be a link is due to the fact that in Barbara's case, a dark green 1984 Chevy Impala was seen in the area. Also there was a man seen in the area that was in his 20's to 30's who was white with dark hair and dark complexion with a mustache that seems to match the description of the man seen talking with Shelley.

Incidentally, a couple of other girls disappeared from Bensalem during that time period. Tracy Bryd who was also 14 disappeared and has never been seen again. She was dropped off at Bensalem High School on March 3, 1983 by her mom's boyfriend but never made it to any classes. That same man was convicted of murdering her mom after she went missing several months after Tracy disappeared but from what I've read it seems that Bensalem detectives don't think he killed Tracy. Another girl Jeanette Tambe who was 22 disappeared from Bensalem in October 1984 and was found dead in 1986. She was not identified until 2012.

I know Bensalem is not real close to Upper Darby but it is certainly within a 40 minute drive. Also, I recognize the fact that the car in the Rowan case was dark green not mint green, but it could have been repainted or described a little differently. Perhaps all this means nothing or maybe was already looked into, but I have read about these cases and I felt I had to mention the possibility of a link.

I am not sure there is a connection, butI would say that if there is one, I would say that it would be more logical to connect Luty and Rowan than Byrd with all those cases.
However, I think Shelly was singled out. I don't think any of the cases are interconnected.

2 arrested in 1984 rape, slaying of Bucks girl, 14

barbara-rown-doubl-600-2.jpg

Robert Sanders (left) is charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution, and George Shaw is charged with criminal homicide and rape in the 1984 Barbara Rowan case.

Bensalem police and Bucks County prosecutors said Friday that George Shaw and Robert Sanders were taken into custody this week in the cold-case killing of Barbara Rowan.

Shaw faces homicide and rape charges, while Sanders is charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution.

Shaw killed Barbara, who was babysitting his daughter, while he was high on methamphetamine, officials said.

~~~

The case was finally solved, prosecutors said Friday, by working on the killer's alleged accomplice, Sanders, who is accused of helping dispose of Barbara's body.

Thank God!!! After so long to finally have an arrest in this case is great news. Praying that there will finally be justice for sweet Barbara and her family. This news was so unexpected and long overdue.

Yeah, I heard this today, and figured I would check out the topic.

Good news, a little late, but now some closure.

2 arrested in 1984 rape, slaying of Bucks girl, 14

barbara-rown-doubl-600-2.jpg

Robert Sanders (left) is charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution, and George Shaw is charged with criminal homicide and rape in the 1984 Barbara Rowan case.

Bensalem police and Bucks County prosecutors said Friday that George Shaw and Robert Sanders were taken into custody this week in the cold-case killing of Barbara Rowan.

Shaw faces homicide and rape charges, while Sanders is charged with hindering apprehension or prosecution.

Shaw killed Barbara, who was babysitting his daughter, while he was high on methamphetamine, officials said.

~~~

The case was finally solved, prosecutors said Friday, by working on the killer's alleged accomplice, Sanders, who is accused of helping dispose of Barbara's body.

I am so very very glad.

Sadly though this seems like a crime of opportunity and so I don't think it is related to Tracy.. I really believe that she was killed by the same person who killed her mother.

I would love to see a picture of George Shaw from 1984. Anyone have any ideas on where to search?

Glad to know that finally justice has been served. Too early to leave this world...I hope she is in a better place with a wonderful life...
Stories like this makes me not lose hope for all those cold cases which remained unsolved for years.

Suspect waives jury for murder trial, Bucks prosecutors drop death penalty in 1984 killing

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/crime/suspect-waives-jury-for-murder-trial-bucks-prosecutors-drop-death/article_4adb94c1-f567-53bf-8187-b7ef99ff144f.html

George Shaw won't face the death penalty or a jury when he is tried later this year in the 1984 murder of a teen girl in Bensalem.

Prosecutors took the death penalty off the table at a hearing Monday morning during which the 56-year-old Geneva, Florida, man waived his right to a jury trial, opting instead for a trial by judge.

He is scheduled for trial beginning July 18 before Judge Wallace H. Bateman Jr.

Shaw has been behind bars awaiting trial since October 2015 when, more than three decades after police found Rowan's body, Shaw was arrested and charged along with Robert Sanders, now 53.

Sanders, recently of Upper Moreland, pleaded guilty in February to hindering apprehension in the case, admitting he helped Shaw dump the girl's remains and hid evidence about her murder for decades.

He has been incarcerated in lieu of 10 percent of $5 million bail as he awaits sentencing, but he is scheduled for a bail reduction hearing Wednesday morning.

Man on trial for 1984 rape, murder of Bensalem girl

http://6abc.com/news/man-on-trial-for-1984-rape-murder-of-bensalem-girl/2227963/

The trial of a man accused of raping and murdering a 14-year-old Bucks County girl in 1984 will begin on Tuesday.

George Shaw, 56, of Geneva, Florida, is charged with raping and murdering Barbara Rowan of Bensalem in his apartment on Old Lincoln Highway on August 3, 1984.

The non-jury trial for Shaw is scheduled to begin 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Trial opens in rape, killing of teenager - 33 years later

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/trial-opens-in-rape-killing-of-teenager-33-years-later-20170718.html

Robert Rowan recalled the day 33 years ago that he identified the remains of his 14-year-old daughter. “Just a skeleton,” he testified Tuesday in Bucks County Court. “Your only child.”

Rowan and his wife, Patricia, taking the witness stand on the opening day of the cold-case trial of George F. Shaw, 56, of Geneva, Fla., charged with raping and killing the teenager, recalled the day that she went missing.

Cold-case key witness recalls night Bucks teen was raped and killed

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/crime/bucks-county-rowan-rape-murder-sanders-shaw-20170720.html?photo_2

“He came out all sweaty and wired and says he f—ed up and s—like that,” Sanders, the prosecution’s key witness, said on the stand.

Then Shaw returned to the bedroom and Sanders used the meth. Sanders heard noises from the room, which died down, and then Shaw returned and “says he needs a hand with something.”

On the bed, Sanders said, he saw a body in a black trash bag, with reddish-blonde hair sticking out of the top.

“I didn’t want to [help], but I was told I’d be heading the same way,” Sanders said. “I fear for myself. ‘Cause George is an animal.”

Judge hears closing arguments in three decade old Bensalem Township rape and murder case

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/news/judge-hears-closing-arguments-in-three-decade-old-bensalem-township/article_170d7e9c-bf5d-5cfd-9c9d-7c9cee63a4ad.html

Deputy District Attorney Jennifer M. Schorn capped seven days of prosecution witness testimony by imploring Common Pleas Court Judge Wallace H. Bateman Jr. to find Shaw, 57, guilty of first-degree murder, rape and possession of an instrument of crime.

Shaw’s lead attorney, Louis Busico, argued that there is reasonable doubt that his client is guilty of any crime. Should Bateman decide that Shaw did kill the teen, Busico added, there is no evidence that her death was intentional.

Bateman said he would announce his verdict at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, July 31. He said late Tuesday that he needed time to review transcripts of testimony before reaching a decision, and that he would be at a judges’ conference for the rest of this week.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back