Found Deceased PA - Cassandra Johnston, 26, Philadelphia, 10 July 2021

Casey’s story has been shared thousands of times on posters, billboards and on social media since she went missing on July 10, and those who joined in the effort to bring Casey home finally have some answers.

“It appears to match her description,” Lower Southampton Chief of Police Ted Krimmel said.

More than three weeks since anyone last saw Cassandra “Casey” Johnston, police announced they found a body and officials have confirmed exclusively to CBS3 that it is the body of the missing Bucks County woman.

“During the search this afternoon, members of the Philadelphia Police Marine Unit located the body on the 1200 block of Townsend Road in Philadelphia,” Krimmel said.

Krimmel says the body was about half a mile from the car’s location. Officials taped off a wooded area, near the intersection of Townsend and Southampton Roads, after a body was located on Sunday afternoon.

A preliminary investigation shows Johnston, while driving on Woodhaven Road, crashed the car.

“It appears she didn’t negotiate the curve properly,” Chief Krimmel says, adding, “She went down to the culvert went airborne up and over the guardrail and she crashed into a tree about 30 feet into the air.”

Police believe she was ejected from the vehicle through the sunroof during the fall.

“When the call came out that there was a body found by the marine unit, we just shut all communication down,” Krimmel said.

Flooding on July 12 may have played a part in her body being moved into a nearby creek, the chief said.

“We had some flooding in the area we think that culvert filled with water and probably moved her into that creek,” Krimmel said.

Officials do not suspect any foul play. Casey’s family was notified immediately after the body was recovered.

They now begin the task of grieving, grateful for the support of the community in the search to find Casey.

Since Casey’s body was found just over the city line, Bucks County officials have turned over the case to Philadelphia police and medical examiner.

CBS3 spoke with the Johnston family after the discovery. They are asking for privacy at this time but thanked everyone who shared photos and information about Johnston during the search.
EXCLUSIVE: Body Of Missing 26-Year-Old Casey Johnston Recovered, Believed To Have Been Killed In Crash, Authorities Say

Casey’s story has been shared thousands of times on posters, billboards and on social media since she went missing on July 10, and those who joined in the effort to bring Casey home finally have some answers.

“It appears to match her description,” Lower Southampton Chief of Police Ted Krimmel said.

More than three weeks since anyone last saw Cassandra “Casey” Johnston, police announced they found a body and officials have confirmed exclusively to CBS3 that it is the body of the missing Bucks County woman.

“During the search this afternoon, members of the Philadelphia Police Marine Unit located the body on the 1200 block of Townsend Road in Philadelphia,” Krimmel said.

Krimmel says the body was about half a mile from the car’s location. Officials taped off a wooded area, near the intersection of Townsend and Southampton Roads, after a body was located on Sunday afternoon.

A preliminary investigation shows Johnston, while driving on Woodhaven Road, crashed the car.

“It appears she didn’t negotiate the curve properly,” Chief Krimmel says, adding, “She went down to the culvert went airborne up and over the guardrail and she crashed into a tree about 30 feet into the air.”

Police believe she was ejected from the vehicle through the sunroof during the fall.

“When the call came out that there was a body found by the marine unit, we just shut all communication down,” Krimmel said.

Flooding on July 12 may have played a part in her body being moved into a nearby creek, the chief said.

“We had some flooding in the area we think that culvert filled with water and probably moved her into that creek,” Krimmel said.

Officials do not suspect any foul play. Casey’s family was notified immediately after the body was recovered.

They now begin the task of grieving, grateful for the support of the community in the search to find Casey.

Since Casey’s body was found just over the city line, Bucks County officials have turned over the case to Philadelphia police and medical examiner.

CBS3 spoke with the Johnston family after the discovery. They are asking for privacy at this time but thanked everyone who shared photos and information about Johnston during the search.
EXCLUSIVE: Body Of Missing 26-Year-Old Casey Johnston Recovered, Believed To Have Been Killed In Crash, Authorities Say
Thank You for the article --and good to see you , Stilla...;)

HOW on Earth did this happen completely unseen/unheard by any other human? A car being airborne 20-30 ft. (before crashing and ejecting the passenger) would catch the eye, and the eventual crash-landing would be noisy, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure how the family feels about the efforts of local law enforcement to find Casey, but I would be pretty angry knowing that my loved one was only located through of the efforts of a search team led by a PI that the family had to pay for.
It is certainly odd that there were no witnesses to this accident. It sounds horrendous. And Woodhaven Rd is well traveled enough to make it even more odd. I suppose the early hour on a Saturday could be behind that.

Also such a unique set of circumstances after the crash, with the severe flooding from torrential rain and then more recently a tornado outbreak. I'm sad she didn't make it, but solaced a bit that she has at least been found.

RIP Casey

It is certainly odd that there were no witnesses to this accident. It sounds horrendous. And Woodhaven Rd is well traveled enough to make it even more odd. I suppose the early hour on a Saturday could be behind that.

Also such a unique set of circumstances after the crash, with the severe flooding from torrential rain and then more recently a tornado outbreak. I'm sad she didn't make it, but solaced a bit that she has at least been found.

RIP Casey
At 6:00 AM on a Saturday on a major highway like Woodhaven Rd in a densely populated area like the Northeast, I would have expected there to be at least one witness as well, but I guess not (at 6:00 AM on a weekday, for sure there would be early commuters on that road). From the description given by the Southampton police, it doesn't sound like a witness would have been able to save Casey, just get closure quicker.

This is just awful. I activated my FB account to check in on the family’s page, and it was ugly enough to make to de-activate again. The poor family reported getting a ton of scammers (their own missing poster listed her mother’s phone) and I saw posters bickering with the sister. WTH is wrong with people?!

The poor boyfriend, too. His own mother died from covid recently.

It does seem strange that no one saw anything at around 6am Saturday on Woodhaven. It could have been that another car was involved and the driver sped off.

It could have been that someone did actually call in an accident, and the responding officers just did a cursory check. I’m curious to see if the family files a Tort Claims Notice soon. But if she was ejected from the sunroof, I don’t think being found within a day would have saved her.

The accident was Saturday; there were very intense storms Monday that very likely brought down foliage that further obscured the car.

Last edited:
HOW on Earth did this happen completely unseen/unheard by any other human? A car being airborne 20-30 ft. (before crashing and ejecting the passenger) would catch the eye, and the eventual crash-landing would be noisy, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure how the family feels about the efforts of local law enforcement to find Casey, but I would be pretty angry knowing that my loved one was only located through of the efforts of a search team led by a PI that the family had to pay for.

Couldn't agree more. The route home was obvious and they should know which parts of it are especially dangerous.

I am so sad for Casey and her family. :(

the whole thing could’ve happened in like 20 seconds. wish someone would’ve witnessed it & spared her family all this extra trauma :(
True. But hard to imagine someone witnessing something that horrendous and not calling it in. Unless there was another vehicle involved that left the scene.

I live at an intersection where there are occasional accidents and everyone and their gramma calls 911 for help as soon as we witness (or in most cases hear) the crash.

I suspect Casey would have been traveling at a somewhat high rate of speed to end up airborne over a guardrail and into a tree 30 feet up. And the sound alone...as I said when there is an accident at my intersection, I know immediately what it is and sometimes the sound goes on a bit as a vehicle may roll over or spin and hit something else (often our fence). I am puzzled that the car was not located sooner, however. JMO

I wonder if they are going to process the car to look for paint transfer from another vehicle. Wondering if someone could have run her off the road.
I was wondering the same, she could have been hit by a trash or tractor trailer and lost control of her car. Cars don’t just go airborne like that?

Cars don’t just go airborne like that?
RSBM

Sometimes they do.

26 year old Brittany Socash was killed 4th of July weekend in Clearfield County, PA:

State Police report that Socash was driving on Curwensville Gampian Highway when her Silverado went across the double yellow lines and off the road. The truck reportedly traveled 28 feet through the air before hitting an embankment and then another 33 feet before hitting a tree.
Missing Clearfield County woman killed in crash, police report

And then there's Tiger Woods, who clearly had a Guardian Angel riding shotgun back in February.

Woods was alone in the SUV when it crashed into a raised median, crossed two oncoming lanes and rolled several times, authorities said at a news conference.
Tiger Woods seriously injured in crash on steep LA-area road

Last edited:
I was wondering the same, she could have been hit by a trash or tractor trailer and lost control of her car. Cars don’t just go airborne like that?

sometimes the roads are built up so the trees are already down a bit. Flying off the edge can make it much higher than the ground level you’re driving on. Going say 70-80 mph can launch ya through the air

Do we know where specifically the car was found? Based on the press conference we know that she went over a culvert BEFORE going airborne and over the guardrail and her car landed 147 feet from the edge of the road. I've gone over the area using streetview and I can't seem to ascertain where the car landed (or where the culvert is).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back