PA PA - Cherrie Mahan, 8, Cabot, 22 Feb 1985

Ok, that's where my confusion came in...I believed her home was more at the corner of Winfield Road. You're right in that there is no way her bus stop would have been on Winfield Road.
Also, this video is new to me, and it's pretty good!

Thanks for sharing!! I knew that the road she got off of the bus on was a rural country road, but I pictured it to be a little more busy, than what I got from this video. I agree with Ed from Unfound (I always listen to his podcasts but had no idea he covered Cherrie's case or was from Leechburg) you can get lost on roads like this, it had to be someone that knew that road.

@Gameman Thanks for posting that, it's been a while since I've seen that video.

So, based on that video, the bus stop was at 1126 Cornplanter Rd & Ewing Rd (where DB lived at the time). I'm not good with maps but here is a quick visual I threw together. The yellow dot is where it looked to me that the maker of the video was standing when he stated that was where the bus stopped.

cmbusstop1.jpg

So, now I have even more questions.

The video suggests that the bus would have driven past Cherrie's driveway and dropped her off 200-300 feet away at the bottom of 1126's driveway & Ewing Rd.

It's been stated that DB followed the school bus in her own car. It's also been stated that DB saw Cherrie get off of the bus and walk past DB's van. DB also made a statement about seeing the van in her mirror suggesting that the suspected van was behind her. Since DB lived on Ewing Road at the time, is it possible that she had been parked facing her home (up the hill) and saw the van in her rearview as she was watching the children get off the bus? In that scenario, her statement of following the bus wouldn't hold up. If DB was parked facing her home and was actually on Ewing Rd and not Cornplanter, would she have even been able to see Cherrie turn the corner to walk to her home?

Does anyone have a link to a video of the reenactment that was done by children who were actually on Cherrie's bus that day?

Sometimes I think that entirely too much focus has been put on the van. I mean, who is the world would abduct a child while driving a vehicle that would stick out like a sore thumb. There were other kids, at least one other vehicle (parent waiting for kids) and a school bus. Of course they're going to notice a van with a ski scene on the side. I'm just not convinced the van had anything to do with this.

OTOH - it would make a good diversion for whoever actually took Cherrie.

JMHO

It's really nice to see all the activity on this board recently. I know it's an extremely difficult case, but it's important we keep the dialogue going.

I believe I’ve said this before, but it would be nice to hear statements today from the school bus children. MOO IMO

This would be helpful. Also, it seems like a lot of people that follow the case are from Western PA, but aren't directly from the Cabot area. It would be nice to get a few more locals on this discussion board that are more familiar with the area/people. According to newspapers, a Winfield road property was searched in 2015. It would be nice to know what property that was. I'm sure locals would know the answer to this.

Sometimes I think that entirely too much focus has been put on the van. I mean, who is the world would abduct a child while driving a vehicle that would stick out like a sore thumb. There were other kids, at least one other vehicle (parent waiting for kids) and a school bus. Of course they're going to notice a van with a ski scene on the side. I'm just not convinced the van had anything to do with this.

JMHO

I respect your opinion, but I believe the van was involved in some sort of way. It could have been the abductor's vehicle or a diversion (like you stated). The main reason why I believe the van was involved is b/c it was never spotted again. If the van wasn't destroyed or painted over, how could a van that sticks out like a sore thumb just disappear even if it was from outside of the area. If the van was not from the area and the driver was just "passing by", I'm not sure why you need to drive down Cornplanter rd? It's extremely doubtful that the van was just driving down Cornplanter Rd behind the bus coincidentally IMO. It's hard to explain, but having driven down Cornplanter several times, it's just not a road that you would just travel down without a specific purpose in my estimation. If the van was behind the bus like witnesses have mentioned, the driver of the van would have likely been the primary witness when Cherrie was abducted. Or at the very least, the driver would have seen Cherrie walk by. If the van wasn't involved, then it's likely that the owner would have come forward when everyone in the area was looking for it days after the abduction. Or someone who knew the owner of an extremely descriptive van would have come forward. Nothing is impossible but I believe it is improbable that the van wasn't involved in some sort of way.

Why would someone abduct a child with a vehicle that sticks out like a sore thumb? The fact that this van hasn't been found (a van that sticks out like a sore thumb) since, makes it more likely that it was involved IMO. The sliding door would be easier to get a person through than the normal side door of a car. Also, this will sound sick, but this van likely had a bed or a couch of some sort in the back. If you were a child predator, then this would make sense I suppose. In my opinion, the van was hidden, painted over, or destoyed by the perpetrator(s).

It also doesn't sound like anyone had a good look at the blue car that was parked near the van. Not many details about the blue car were ever released. The only thing that the police mentioned is that it was parked in a driveway near the bus stop during the time of abduction. This car could have been a lookout of some sort or the primary abduction vehicle.

Also, from what I have heard in the newspaper, bloodhounds were never able to get a scent of Cherrie other than the end of her driveway. She almost had to be taken in a vehicle. So that leaves the blue car/van unless there was another vehicle that no one saw.

Last edited:
Janice herself has said she doubts the van was involved in Cherrie's abduction. It's in the below article.

'It's A Torment': Cherrie Mahan's Mother Still Searching 35 Years After She Disappeared From Butler Co.

The van was never seen before (that's verifiable) Cherri's abduction and hasn't been seen since. It's almost like it never existed, which is odd.

JMHO

I agree. If the van was involved I believe it was either quickly hidden, painted, or chopped. Which is why I also tend to agree with @local pgh guy that the people living on the surrounding roads (Moorehead, Winfield, Kepple, Leasureville, etc..) need looked at carefully, as do their properties. So much area to hide a vehicle, so much tree and brush cover, etc... I've never been able to believe that Cherrie left that area. I suppose it's possible, though.

Why would someone abduct a child with a vehicle that sticks out like a sore thumb? The fact that this van hasn't been found (a van that sticks out like a sore thumb) since, makes it more likely that it was involved IMO. The sliding door would be easier to get a person through than the normal side door of a car. Also, this will sound sick, but this van likely had a bed or a couch of some sort in the back. If you were a child predator, then this would make sense I suppose. In my opinion, the van was hidden, painted over, or destoyed by the perpetrator(s).

I agree that Cherrie is likely still in the area somewhere. The reason why this case is so infuriating is because of the lack of leads in the case. First off, it seems like the PSP is as close to solving this thing as they were back in 1985. It doesn't sound like the bio dad was properly investigated at the time. If he wasn't given a lie detector, that was a huge mistake early on. Maybe he had a solid alibi and that's why they stopped pursuing him? But what about his associates?

In regards to one of your earlier posts Burning Turtle, Todd's Nature Preserve is interesting. A public park a few miles south of the abduction site. A public park that was established before Cherrie Mahan's abduction from what I gather. Could have been a hangout for people back in 1985. I can't imagine there was much to do back in 1985 in Cabot. Why would someone bury a body in a public park? I'm not sure. But it happens. If you doubt it, just google "body found state park" and you will get tons of results.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the only way Cherrie will be found is if the lead investigator starts digging and draining ponds throughout the area. It's a long shot, but if people are serious about finding Cherrie's body, then this is what needs to be attempted. There aren't enough leads to go on it sounds like. If there's any suspicion of a property whatsoever, start doing GPR (ground penetrating radar) or draining ponds. People will need to cooperate with the authorities for this to happen, but if you don't have anything to hide, then let the PSP do their job.

Last edited:
Too often with investigations, it feels that journos who could be digging and probing into matters that LE won’t are actually doing this:

2A5BA265-C1BE-4E3C-8E32-B2407B0DD221.jpeg

It boggles my mind how for 35 years no one knows anything. If someone other than the abductor does know something, how can they live with themselves knowing ? That's all... As I have said many times in this thread, Cherrie's case has what have gotten me involved with the missing and the unidentified. I have thought about her case since I was a 9 year old.

It boggles my mind how for 35 years no one knows anything. If someone other than the abductor does know something, how can they live with themselves knowing ? That's all... As I have said many times in this thread, Cherrie's case has what have gotten me involved with the missing and the unidentified. I have thought about her case since I was a 9 year old.

Right!? If you are in a family situation where you cannot publicly come forward and name a person, find a way to let the police know.

This was just posted yesterday, it's the interview from a few weeks ago shortened. The cop that was approached by a man driving a skier van in Indiana PA in 1981/1982. He is now a retired State Police Officer.

Last edited:

This was just posted yesterday, it's the interview from a few weeks ago shortened. The cop that was approached by a man driving a skier van in Indiana PA in 1981/1982. He is now a retired State Police Officer.

I just saw this today. I don't know about psychics, however the fact that the officer seems to think the sketch is the same person he saw is pretty wild. They also seem to imply they know who this person is but I don't know hopefully something comes of it.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat about psychics. But yes, very strange that this detective confirmed the sketch.

We need more locals on the board like you Herbski looking at the sketch. In the podcast, she mentions that this is a local man that is involved with the church somehow. Would love to the sketch to be spread around the Cabot area.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat about psychics. But yes, very strange that this detective confirmed the sketch.

We need more locals on the board like you Herbski looking at the sketch. In the podcast, she mentions that this is a local man that is involved with the church somehow. Would love to the sketch to be spread around the Cabot area.
Yeah I took a look. I am from Butler and grew up there, but I do know and am familiar with Saxonburg/Cabot a little bit. Butler is about 10 miles from there for people who aren't familiar.

Anyway he sort of did look somewhat familiar to someone from Butler (a guy I knows dad) but I wouldn't say it was a dead ringer. I also reached out to my Saxonburg friends but nobody replied yet to see what they thought (if it looked like someone else)

Similarities: Decent resemblance mustache and all. From memory facial shape similar. (However keep in mind I probably haven't seen the guy since I was a kid and I'm 43 now. )

Size was about what the psychic said.

Age was about what the psychic said but this guy was probably about 5 years older than what she was thinking based on his obituary

Was involved with the local community in Butler as a city councilman and according to his obituary also a Catholic Church in Butler.

Difference:
They said he was alive, this guy has been dead for 9 years as I got some of that from his obituary.

Guy had something wierd with the side of his face. Like it was partially indented or something. The sketch did not incorporate that.

Guy was based out of Butler not Saxonburg/Cabot. Worked in Slippery Rock (about 1/2 hour from Saxonburg and 15 mins from Butler) from his obituary. Went to Karns City high school (northeast Butler County Cabot is in East/Southeast Butler county) . Lived in Butler his adult life as stated he was involved in the Butler community. But no direct ties to the Saxonburg or Cabot community to my knowledge.

All in all I'd say it's highly unlikely it was him, but really he was the only person that I would know of that resembles the sketch at all and loosely fit some of the psychic criteria.

Plus I just don't think the guy in question would do that. Of course I didn't know him well or anything but I would be shocked. Wasn't a name that was ever tied to this case at all.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back