Identified! PA - Chester Co., WhtMale 1280UMPA, 20-30, Nov'68 - Robert Corriveau

There's a pretty decent resemblance there, but I can't get past the USMC tattoo. I've heard of people joining the Marines under assumed names, and there are imposters who claim to be enlisted when they are not. But it doesn't strike me as plausible in this case.

I think the age difference is too much, also. Tumolo was 14 when he disappeared in 1966, would have been only 16 in 1968. The UID looks like he's on the young edge of the age range, but not that young.

Sadly, I agree...as I mentioned above I realized that the circumstances were questionable when I posted but I liked the physical features. Unfortunately...I don't think the UID looks 16 either-18 to 20 maybe...:( Thanks for your input.

Sadly, I agree...as I mentioned above I realized that the circumstances were questionable when I posted but I liked the physical features. Unfortunately...I don't think the UID looks 16 either-18 to 20 maybe...:( Thanks for your input.

It was a good find. He looks very close. Thanks for posting it!

I read this case a few months ago, and it has stuck with me. I find it so sad that someone who fought for his country cannot be identified.

If he did serve, and I really think he did, then I hope someday, someone who served with him will be able to put a name to this Marine.

This young man was very likely a US military Veteran - either a Marine or a Sailor who had been wounded in the VietNam War. He appears to be quite young. Although the file write-up states his age between 20 and 30, I think it is likely in his early 20's.

The healed bullet wound might indicate that he had been in a Naval Hospital, perhaps Bethesda, Portsmouth, or Balboa Naval Hospitals, as those were the main ones. I wonder if x-rays were taken of the wound? If a bone had been broken, perhaps it could be compared with x-rays taken of wounded servicemen who were treated at one of the above hospitals.

His haircut is within 1968 regulations for the Navy, but a bit long for Marine Corps standards. He may have been recently discharged and on his way home when he was murdered.

The Navy Pea Coat could indicate that he was a Navy man, although it is also possible that he was a Marine who purchased the coat at a Navy exchange or uniform shop - or that he was borrowing the coat from a friend for the cold weather trip he was on. Marines do not and did not wear Pea Coats as part of their uniform.

The USMC tattoo means either that he was a Marine or possibly that he was a Navy Medical Corpsman who had served with the Marines in combat. US Navy Corpsmen are the "medics" for the Marine Corps.

If he was still on active duty when he died, he would be carried on the books today as a "deserter", since he was never identified. If he had been discharged, the Navy or Marine Corps would not have been looking for him. Either way, his records should be on file at the St. Louis Military Personnel Records Center.

Only Officers had their fingerprints on file in 1968. Enlisted men might be fingerprinted for work in high security jobs, but those fingerprint cards would not necessarily be in their military personnel records.

The 4 inch deep puncture wound that killed him could have come from an icepick or screwdriver. It could also have come from a Marlin Spike. That is a round pointed spike used by sailors to work ropes and untie knots. Often a Marlinspike is attatched to a sailor's folder knife, and they are usually 3 to 4 inches in length, and about a quarter inch in diameter.

It is also possible that he was killed with a "shiv" made from a sharpened nail. These are often found in prisons and carried by convicts.

A spike type bayonet could also have been the weapon, as could a sharpened pencil.

I wonder if this young man might have been traveling home for the Thanksgiving holiday. He was dressed nicely and well groomed. Could he have been hitch hiking? Perhaps he was driving and picked up a hitch hiker.

He never made it home.

Does anybody know if it is possible to find a list of AWOL persons from the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove PA in 1968? The Marine Corp is a subdivision of the Navy and it is possible he was stationed there. In my search attemps all I can come up with are MIA's. Need to refine my searching abilities. It may be well worth looking into??

Lil'E see the portion of the post by Richard that I bolded respectfully.

I, do not know of anyway to access those records through the internet or in person.

It is my understanding that they are now protected by the Privacy Act. JMHO.

Lil'E see the portion of the post by Richard that I bolded respectfully.

I, do not know of anyway to access those records through the internet or in person.

It is my understanding that they are now protected by the Privacy Act. JMHO.

The records that I refered to would be held by NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service). They are covered by the Privacy Act, and they are treated much like police investigative files. The average citizen could not just get a copy of those files usually. Police agencies attempting to identify someone often work with the various Military branches when they have reason to believe that a person could be military.

There is, however, a master list of "deserters" which used to be put out quarterly and sent to many different places, like the FBI, US Customs, etc. I remember seeingthe Navy version of this list back in the late 1980's. It listed names of persons who were AWOL (missing without official permission) and considered "Deserters". The list went back as far as the Korean War.

This Thursday, 18 November 2010, marks exactly 42 years since this young man's body was found.

It is hard to believe that he has remained unidentified for so long.

The records that I refered to would be held by NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service). They are covered by the Privacy Act, and they are treated much like police investigative files. The average citizen could not just get a copy of those files usually. Police agencies attempting to identify someone often work with the various Military branches when they have reason to believe that a person could be military.

There is, however, a master list of "deserters" which used to be put out quarterly and sent to many different places, like the FBI, US Customs, etc. I remember seeingthe Navy version of this list back in the late 1980's. It listed names of persons who were AWOL (missing without official permission) and considered "Deserters". The list went back as far as the Korean War.

I have some experience with this topic so I thought I would one agree with what is said here and add a bit more. I even as someone who due to my job have acess to many resources and information not open to the gernal public cannot search within NCIS without my bosses permission. I for a living do background checks and retrieve police reports and have access to information that most people don't. I can still remember my boss when training me stressing not to check the NCIS box without permission and if I did she would be notified. I have never checked this box once.

Yeah, it's sad to see both recognizable Downingtown & Delafield UID guys that went for 42 & 33 years without being identified. There's no advance technology in back those years as some people know them are long time deceased.

I think that they won't be identified unless there's luck discovery. Why not check out social security that never been report to IRS for years, or any activation like a new job, benefits, etc? Could the unused SS belong to UID? And find the survive family members
about the unused SS. Maybe they finally said it's my long lost brother, uncle, father, grandfather & provide them with photos. Who knows.

Any update on this case? Just reading through some old threads and agree the similarity is there

I can't believe this guy has gone unidentified for so long, with the Marines connection.

They don't just take fingerprints, they take pictures. All military personnel are issued military picture ID cards.

This UID looks young, so IMO, chances are he served at least one tour in Viet Nam, possibly even Korea. (My father was 38 in 1968 and had served in both by that time.) His picture, IMO, should be circulated throughout all the VA (Veteran Administration) organizations. IMO, this should have been done a long time ago, (hopefully it was) but even now, people aren't going to have forgotten the face of someone they served with in a war.

(bolded by me) If this is in fact the case, wouldn't he have have been a candidate for a Purple Heart? I'm just trying to consider other avenues for identifying this young man.

There is a very slight possibility that the gunshot wound was not related to his military service. unlikely, but possible.

has anyone followed up on contacting ncis or us marine corps?

with pics, etc available this seems like a high possibility of identification.

Bumping this case up. Next month will mark the 43rd anniversary of this man's murder. He remains unidentified.

BINGO!!!

Robert Daniel ("Bobby Dan") Corriveau

He was just added late yesterday to NamUs:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13664/1

Despite that the heights are off by 2 inches, no doubt about it - this is DEFINITELY our guy.

2067026290045078242S500x500Q851.jpg
2251119120045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Date of Last Contact: November 18, 1968 in Philadelphia PA:

UID was Found November 18, 1968 near Downingtown, Chester County, Pennsylvania (i.e., 35-40 miles from Philadelphia).

Tattoos:
Corriveau:
Tattoo of a bulldog wearing a helmet with “USMC” beneath it on his right upper arm. Tattoo of a bird in flight with a heart in the background on his left forearm.
UID:
On the right upper arm, a bulldog wearing a helmet with the letters USMC underneath. On the left forearm was a "bird in flight", possibly a swallow.

Scars:
Corriveau
Scar on left upper arm from healed bullet wound.
UID:
Distinguishing Characteristics: a healed bullet wound

Other than the 2 inch height discrepancy, everything else is consistent. His age (20) is within range, both he and the UID had hazel eyes.

I left a message with Trooper Henry Callithen of the Pennsylvania State Police (Avondale). I find it hard to believe that he would not have already noticed this probable match, as he is listed as the contact for both the UID (on the PA Missing site) and for the MP (in NamUs under "Police Information")

BINGO!!!

Robert Daniel ("Bobby Dan") Corriveau

He was just added late yesterday to NamUs:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/13664/1

Despite that the heights are off by 2 inches, no doubt about it - this is DEFINITELY our guy.

2067026290045078242S500x500Q851.jpg
2251119120045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Date of Last Contact: November 18, 1968 in Philadelphia PA:

UID was Found November 18, 1968 near Downingtown, Chester County, Pennsylvania (i.e., 35-40 miles from Philadelphia).

Tattoos:
Corriveau:

UID:

Scars:
Corriveau

UID:

Other than the 2 inch height discrepancy, everything else is consistent. His age (20) is within range, both he and the UID had hazel eyes.

I left a message with Trooper Henry Callithen of the Pennsylvania State Police (Avondale). I find it hard to believe that he would not have already noticed this probable match, as he is listed as the contact for both the UID (on the PA Missing site) and for the MP (in NamUs under "Police Information")

Oh yes, this is him - good job!

Just out of curiousity, I wonder if they had reason to believe he was in Chester County. Reason being, he went missing from Philly, but Downingtown is in Chester County, and so is Avondale - the State Police barracks that the contact must work out of.

OH MY GOODNESS! I just got chills. I wonder why it took them so long to enter his info?? What a great day for this family!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back