GUILTY PA - Erica Shultz, 26, missed work, Bloomsburg, Columbia Co., 4 Dec 2020 *arrest*

i actually spent a few moments checking out a few of the younger girls he was following to make sure they weren't missing!!! i'm sure the police will do that too.

IMO, LE do not usually just casually throw out the possibility of linkage to other missing persons cases/murders so the fact that they did this is significant. I think they strongly suspect this was either not his first murder or at least, not the first serious assault.

IMO the search for other potential victims should not be narrowed to just women similar to Erica. News articles have described him as a transient truck driver. One has to wonder if COVID has altered his usual work schedule or impacted his access to potential victims. Erica may be the first that he killed after using a dating app to meet. He may have other victims with totally different ways that he selected/came across them (they could be women working at truck stops, etc).

What a horrific and shocking outcome! I am sad for her family and her little cat. I am also thankful things came together in the way they did to allow this demon to be caught. May they throw away the key after they throw the book at him. I hope there are no other victims.

*modsnip*

It has never been reported if Erica always gets a ride to work, and if so, who gives her that ride. last thing we know is that she had a video chat with her sister at 8:00 PM the night prior.

Nothing indicating the victim always got a ride but on 12/8/20 news, it was reported that ES did not drive, and her family got her to and from work:

Shultz should have been working at Weis in Bloomsburg Sunday night but she did not show up for her shift, according to the report. Shultz is on the Autism spectrum, does not drive, and relies on her family for transportation to and from work. Because she has special needs, Shultz's sister said she does not believe believe Shultz could have left on her own.

Family of missing Bloomsburg woman offers reward for her return

Last edited:
Missing Pa. Woman Was Allegedly Killed by Man She Met Online, Who Then Directed Police to Body

5fcf857455794.image.jpg

Dec 29, 2020

The body of a missing 26-year-old Pennsylvania woman has been found in a wooded area of Luzerne County, and authorities were led to her body by the man accused of killing her.

According to multiple reports, which cite police, including those from WOLF-TV, WNEP and the Philly Voice, Harold D. Haulman III, 42, has been charged with criminal homicide, kidnapping and abuse of a corpse for allegedly killing Erica Shultz.

Shultz, who had autism, went missing on Dec. 6. The Bloomsburg woman's remains were recovered Sunday.

Police say they were able to link Haulman to Shultz through phone records.

Haulman, who was married and was described by authorities as a transient, met Shultz through a dating app called MeetMe.

Shultz was reported missing after failing to show up for work.

Alleged killer lures autistic date he met online into woods, beats her with mallet & points police to her body: Reports

Dec 28, 2020

[..]

PA Homepage reports that authorities determined that Haulman’s cellphone was at Shultz’s apartment off of Railroad Street on December 4. Both Schultz and Haulman traveled along Interstate 80, according to their cellphone records. Schultz’s phone disconnected in the Milton area.

On December 23, FBI agents contacted Haulman and questioned him about Schultz. Initially, Haulman denied knowing where Shultz was. He then failed up to show up for a follow-up interview.

On Christmas Day, agents tracked Haulman’s cellphone to his wife’s home in Duncannon. The following day, authorities spotted him walking along railroad tracks in Duncannon. According to police, Haulman had slashed his arms with a box cutter, leaving the message:

“I want to kill myself” and “I need to die for my sins.”

[..]

Authorities took Haulman to an area hospital, where he asked for his cellphone and glasses. He then pulled up Google Maps on his phone and showed investigators where to locate the victim. Shultz’s body was later found near the intersection of Interstates 80 and 81.

Haulman allegedly admitted to investigators that he was walking in the woods with Shultz when he started beating her in the head with a mallet. Afterward, Haulman allegedly stabbed Shultz numerous times with a kitchen knife.

Fox 56 reports that one of Shultz’s friend said that Shultz used numerous dating apps to meet people. One of the men she met, who Shultz referred to as “Dave,” reportedly told her that wanted her to “pack everything up and go away with him.”

Nothing indicating the victim always got a ride but on 12/8/20 news, it was reported that ES did not drive, and her family got her to and from work:

Shultz should have been working at Weis in Bloomsburg Sunday night but she did not show up for her shift, according to the report. Shultz is on the Autism spectrum, does not drive, and relies on her family for transportation to and from work. Because she has special needs, Shultz's sister said she does not believe believe Shultz could have left on her own.

Family of missing Bloomsburg woman offers reward for her return

Yeah, my original thoughts centered around trying to determine when/where she was last seen, due to some unclear wording (that "she did not show up" as opposed to "she wasn't there when [X] when to pick her up to take her to work"). Later on, I thought it was unlikely that she walked to and from work, due to working at night.

Ultimately, someone (Haulman) did pick her up from the apartment, out of the blue, which explains her leaving the coat and why her cat was still there, with no signs of abduction. Only the one friend was aware that she was seeing someone.

the part about how a witness saw her getting into Haulman's van after work suggests that other friends or family may have occasionally taken her to/from work.

https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Repor...-CR-0000213-2020&dnh=4Bxhdsn7pgu0Ukq9njyYmQ==

Some recent updates:
  • Preliminary hearing on 3/19/21; upcoming hearing on 5/14/21.
  • Docket entry shows two hand delivered subpoenas on 3/24 and 4/15 to "Restricted Participant," unsure of what that means.
  • No home address is listed for defendant (just "Duncannon, PA, 17020," which is about 62 miles south of Bloomsburg)
  • He was advised of his right to counsel, but hasn't requested a public defender. Three public defenders are listed as representing him.

Restricted Participant - It means the officer requested and received subpoena to hand serve a witnesses. This theoretically means that if the witnesses don't show up they can be held in contempt of court. Most likely the witness that saw Erica get into Haulmans van.

Intersection of 80 and 81 is a bit odd in that any access to woods on either road would require climbing over the guardrail. There are few if any spots to pull off where the van would not be noticed by LE patrols.

Intersection of 80 and 81 is a bit odd in that any access to woods on either road would require climbing over the guardrail. There are few if any spots to pull off where the van would not be noticed by LE patrols.

it was reported that they went for a walk together in the woods in Butler Township. There wouldn't be a van off the side of the Interstate.

Haulman allegedly admitted to investigators that he was walking in the woods with Shultz when he started beating her in the head with a mallet.

Alleged killer lures autistic date he met online into woods, beats her with mallet & points police to her body: Reports

Pa. woman may have been victim of serial killer, authorities say

Harold David Haulman III, 43, was arrested Friday for the death of 25-year-old Tianna Phillips, who went missing in 2018. Haulman was charged as he walked in for a hearing in a December homicide case where he is charged with killing Erica Shultz, 26, of Bloomsburg. In addition to those cases, investigators are also looking into his possible involvement in a 16-year-old homicide case in Michigan.

So it appears this man has murdered four people. He killed a woman in Germany. Was he in the military? Would that information not be on file for someone?

The articles say that he was convicted of manslaughter but got the charge reduced - it doesn't say to what. So without that information (or the circumstances of what happened) it's hard to say if the German conviction alone would raise a lot of red flags. Everything else in his life should have, though.

The articles say that he was convicted of manslaughter but got the charge reduced - it doesn't say to what. So without that information (or the circumstances of what happened) it's hard to say if the German conviction alone would raise a lot of red flags. Everything else in his life should have, though.

I presume he was originally charged with murder but was convicted of the lesser charge. I would like to know if he was in the US military while in Germany. Most countries don't take too kindly to foreigners murdering their citizens so I wonder if the victim was even German.

So that article reveals investigators had a pretty good idea that they were dealing with a serial killer because of their interview with Haulman's wife. It makes you wonder how long she would have kept his secrets.

I assume his wife got no charges to keep her as a witness. She knew about the murder, was with him when the remains were disposed of too. They broke up and she still didn't go to police. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back