Found Deceased PA - George Hughes, 57, disappeared from auto-body business after family argument, Broomall, 16 May 2022

MsMiniSleuth

Reaction score
Family, friends and people from across Delaware County showed up Sunday to search for a local business owner. He left his job almost a week ago and has been missing ever since.

"George, if you’re out there, please contact us. We love you," Debbie O’Connor said.

A desperate plea from the sister of George Hughes, who went missing six days ago.

Debbie O’Connor says her brother disappeared from his auto-body business in Broomall, off West Chester Pike, Monday, after getting in an argument with a family member.

A customer spotted him near the Giant in Edgemont Square Shopping Center some time between 2 and 4 that afternoon.
But, since then? Nothing.

"This is not characteristic of him. He has never taken off like this before and we don’t understand what has happened," O’Connor explained. "He has a ton of friends, a ton of people that love him."

O’Connor says her brother, a husband and parent, was struggling with a recent death in the family and on getting business back after COVID-19.

With family, friends and other volunteers, they searched Ridley Creek Park Sunday morning, not far from the shopping center.

"We need all the help we can get, because we lost a trail that we thought we were following up on at the park and we’re not seeing anything," O’Connor commented.

Anyone with information regarding George Hughes can contact the Facebook page set up or by calling (610) 592-4262. Additionally, people can contact Marple Township Police at (610) 356-1500 with information.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-182457_Firefox-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220523-182457_Firefox-01.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 13
Marple police are looking for a township business owner who walked away from his shop last week and hasn’t been seen since.

George Hughes, 57, was last seen by staff leaving his Broomall Auto shop on Media Line road about 11 a.m. May 16. Later that afternoon, he was spotted at the Edgmont Shopping Center in Newtown Square, he has not been seen since.

He left his vehicle at work and was traveling on foot.

Hughes is 6-feet tall and weighs about 165 pounds, has blond/gray hair and was last seen wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers.

George Hughes. (submitted photo)

I’m local and just don’t feel this is going to end well sadly. The heat and humidity this past weekend was unbearable.

I heard this from the NextDoor App days before the news. Praying for George and his family.

Debbie O’Connor says her brother disappeared from his auto-body business in Broomall, off West Chester Pike, Monday, after getting in an argument with a family member.
A customer spotted him near the Giant in Edgemont Square Shopping Center some time between 2 and 4 that afternoon.

I'm a bit confused on this, he gets into some argument leaves to go to a store, goes back to his shop and nobody thinks to look there?
Very sad outcome. Prayers for MR Hughes and his family.

I wonder where at the shop he was found. And wouldn’t the smell be awful? We had a heat wave this past weekend.

From the link above “Investigators say they are unable to confirm the identity of the body and an autopsy will be conducted to make an official identification and determine a cause of death.“ Could be unrecognizable due to decomposition, or perhaps as the result of an accident with equipment in the auto body shop (i.e., he could’ve been working on a vehicle that was up on a jack or a lift ot some sort, and perhaps it fell or he became trapped under it). Just speculation, of course.

From the link above “Investigators say they are unable to confirm the identity of the body and an autopsy will be conducted to make an official identification and determine a cause of death.“ Could be unrecognizable due to decomposition, or perhaps as the result of an accident with equipment in the auto body shop (i.e., he could’ve been working on a vehicle that was up on a jack or a lift ot some sort, and perhaps it fell or he became trapped under it). Just speculation, of course.
Good point, I wondered that also, if that was the case you would think that they would have throughly searched the shop first. The family had done several searches in wooded areas around where he was last spotted, which IMO, suggests they were thinking it was the other outcome..

Suicide? Accident? Would a body decompose beyond recognition in a week? Even in such heat? I know there are many here who are better versed at such things.

It's not unusual to wait for the autopsy before officially confirming the ID. It doesn't automatically mean that the remains were unrecognizable. Imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back