PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

Pa. girl, 11, hit by lightning on sunny afternoon

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Dark Knight, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

CANONSBURG, Pa. (AP) — An 11-year-old western Pennsylvania girl is recovering after she was struck by a bolt from the blue.

Lisa Wehrle tells the Observer-Reporter newspaper of Washington, Pa., that the sun was shining when her daughter, Britney, was struck by lightning

Friday, apparently from a storm several miles away.
    Lisa Wehrle says, "There was no rain. It was a beautiful day. All she heard was some thunder."

http://news.yahoo.com/pa-girl-11-hit-lightning-sunny-afternoon-142649730.html

Praise the Lord she survived!!!!!!! But this is a lesson for all who read it, "when thunder roars, go indoors." If you are close enough to hear the thunder, you are close enough to be struck, regardless of the sky conditions. Lightning can hit 10 miles away from it's origin. (I'm a SKYWARN volunteer severe weather spotter for the NWS, so we learn this stuff.)

2. ~greeneyedgirl~

~greeneyedgirl~ Member

I didn't know this could happen...

Wow, I'm glad she's okay, that's crazy.

3. Hopeful One

Hopeful One Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who

Wow, that's amazing! I didn't know that could happen either! But great advice, DK. Sadly, not very many people heed it.

4. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

This drives me crazy. We all know that thunder is your warning to seek shelter, but I routinely attend sporting events where kids are allowed to remain on the field while it is thundering, as long as there is no lightning. It is worse when it is sunny, like in this case.

At the local rec league games, I will be the "crazy" mom and pull my child off the field even if the ref refuses to call it. But at HS games where I am up in the stands and have no access to my child, all I can do is pray and fume. (probably not a great combination)

Whenever you call them out on it, they state that it was a mistake and not their policy, but it doesn't change. I really wish coaches and refs would read this article (and the many other stories like it) and get a clue about what's really important!

So glad this girl is okay!

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

I think the article should be passed around the internet/e-mail for all to learn from.