PA - Grand Jury Report, Sexual abuse of over 1,000 children by over 300 Catholic priests

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Betty P, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

The Grand Jury report has been released detailing the long investigations and deliberations on sexual abuse of over 1,000 children by Catholic priests in the following Dioceses:

Diocese of Erie
    Diocese of Pittsburgh
    Diocese of Harrisburg
    Diocese of Allentown
    Diocese of Greenburg
    Diocese of Scranton

Here's a link to the CNN article

Pennsylvania priests' sexual abuse detailed in grand jury report - CNN

Link to the Grand Jury report (Trigger Warning: Graphic descriptions of abuse.)

http://media-downloads.pacourts.us/InterimRedactedReportandResponses.pdf?cb=22148

I only read the first few pages and had to take a break. It catalogues abuse that goes back many years.

Let's hope and pray this is the end of it. Prayers for the victims and their families

2. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

It isn't. Not even close. Jim Clemente (former FBI profiler) has said that many, many documents have either been destroyed or taken back to Vatican City using diplomatic pouches. Nobody has any real idea how far this goes.

3. Betty P

I noticed the Archdiocese of Philadelphia was not included in the GJ investigation. For some reason, they weren't investigated. According to the Archbishop, they are dealing with the issue just fine.

Philadelphia archbishop offers message in wake of priest abuse report

That seems odd.

Willow Knight, neesaki, human and 3 others like this.
  4. PaulR

More like payoff.

Maybe we should start asking suspected criminals if they are guilty. If they say no, we can just take their word for it. Especially child molesters, they'd have no reason to lie.

5. Hazelnutty

Hazelnutty Innocent Bystander

Appalling . Disgusting. Shameful. Evil.

My heart aches for the children who endured the worst kind of abuse by men they were taught to trust.

Hell surely has front seats for the priests of the Catholic churches who have taken advantage of innocent little children.

6. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

I've made it thru 200 pages so far - truly damning.

7. J. J. in Phila

J. J. in Phila Verified Insider

They were and a damning report was issued in January of 2011. The conviction on an administrator that helped cover up, Monsignor William Lynn, set precedent in the state, and was the basis for convicting the form Penn State president, Spanier, in the Sandusky case.

I've attached the presentment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. J. J. in Phila

I'm not Catholic, but the priest in the town where I grew up was identified as one of the molesters; I knew him, slightly. I wonder if any of my grade school classmates were molested by him. :mad:

9. J. J. in Phila

The 6th diocese in PA, the Altoona Johnstown Diocese was also investigated. A grand jury report was issued in 2016. It is similar in content. I can to attach the report, because it is too large.

I lived in that diocese in my 20's, have friends that attended Bishop McCort High School that were when the principal was one of the abusers. I have known several of the lawyers that, as assistant district attorneys, did not prosecute pedophile priests.

Considering that I am PSU alumnus, these revelations have cast a shadow over the first 30 years of my life. I will never be able to think about those times, without the thoughts of a pedophile, with a name and a face that I would recognize, lurking out there.

Willow Knight, MaryG12, Jax49 and 5 others like this.
  10. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Washington cardinal entangled in two sex-abuse scandals | Daily Mail Online
    • The Vatican has expressed 'shame and sorrow' over report which found that 301 priests in the state had sexually abused minors over the past 70 years
    • Report alleges that more than 300 priests abused more than 1,000 children in six Pennsylvania dioceses — including 99 priests from the Diocese of Pittsburgh
    • A Pennsylvania grand jury accused Cardinal Wuerl of helping to protect abusive priests when he was Pittsburgh's bishop from 1988 to 2006
    • The grand jury accused senior church officials, including Wuerl of systematically covering up complaints
    • He also faces skepticism over insistence he knew nothing about years of alleged sexual misconduct by former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick in Washington DC
    • McCarrick is accused of sexually abusing young priests, and spent nearly 20 years molesting a young boy beginning when the child was 11
    • Wuerl said Catholics need to help victims but has not addressed allegations against himself

11. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

The long-awaited grand jury report was full of vivid examples of horrendous abuse. In one such example, a young girl was raped by a priest visiting her while she was in a hospital following surgery to remove her tonsils. In another, a priest tied up a victim with a rope in a confessional booth, and when the victim refused to perform sex, the priest assaulted him with a crucifix.

Vatican in ‘shame and sorrow’ over abuses in Pennsylvania

12. Betty P

I wish they would convene a grand jury for all the cases in Ohio. They did some scattered investigations back in the early 2000's, but most of the prosecutors and judges in these areas were Catholic and were very reluctant to pursue investigations vigorously. There wasn't much follow up, just a purging of a few of the guilty clerics. None of the higher ups who covered up abuse were held accountable. The few investigations that did happen in Ohio revealed some very disturbing crimes. Looking at this database, it's shocking to see how many abusers were outed in Steubenville, OH, a fairly small town.

Login

It seems like the Ohio investigations were pretty much based on reports from victims who went to the news media. I don't think there was any kind of independent, systematic review of the records and there certainly wasn't any community outreach to offer safe haven to victims who hadn't reported abuse. The investigations in Ohio were done internally, by the Catholic Church, not by prosecutors or the courts.

To be fair, this kind of sexual abuse happens in other religions in the US. All churches, including non-denominational ones, need to clean house.

ETA: There was conflict among the prosecutors & judges in my area back in the early 2000's when the news media began writing about abuse. Nearly all of the county prosecutor's office and most of the judges were Catholic. There were some big "conflicts" between prosecutors and judges who wanted to vigorously pursue more investigation and charges.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  13. MicheleT

MicheleT Well-Known Member

14. PaulR

Why the Roman Catholic Church still struggles with sexual abuse scandals

Good article. Let's look at this Bishop.
    • Bishop Ronald Gainer wrote a letter to the Vatican in 2014 recommending an accused priest not be removed from the priesthood, and be permitted to live out his life "without risking public knowledge of his crimes."
    • Bishop Ronald Gainer tried to shut down the Grand Jury investigation in 2016.
    • Bishop Ronald Gainer held a "mass of forgiveness" on August 17, three days after the Grand Jury report came out. I have no idea what a forgiveness mass is, but if he wants forgiveness for being pro-pedophile, I have one word for him: no.

15. J. J. in Phila

Respectfully snipped:
    In this, there are some extenuating circumstances for the bishop's action.

1. While not removed from the priesthood, he had been suspended, i.e. unable to serve as a priest, for 20 years; the suspension occurred well before Gainer became bishop. The priest was not in a position to threaten children during that time.

2. The suspended priest was 88 years old and in poor health. It was fairly evident that he was not going to be around too much longer. He did, in fact, die in 2016, I think.

I am not certain of the length of time needed for the formal process, which includes a church trial, but it may take several years. It would even be possible that the priest may not competent to stand trial in a criminal court at that point.

Unlike most of the actions described in the presentment, I can at least understand this one.

bluesneakers and Betty P like this.
  16. Betty P

17. PaulR

Pennsylvania AG: Cardinal under scrutiny over report on priest abuse 'is not telling the truth' - CNNPolitics

18. J. J. in Phila

19. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Pope addresses latest sexual abuse claims in letter - CNN

20. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native