PA - Helen Miller, 19, stabbed to death by sister, 14, Manheim Twp., Feb 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Richrd, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

Just because both girls had a life outside the home, it doesn’t mean she wasn’t a caregiver to her sister. The key is at their time together at home.

2. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

Having a sibling with special needs often places unique stressors on the other siblings. The stressor doesn’t have to be a caregiving role. It can be the anxiety of knowing your sibling can easily aspirate food, have a seizure, fall and suffer a concussion, etc. I’m curious about what her defense will be.

3. Richrd

Richrd Seven Year Member

Still Awaiting Next Court Date*
    Defendant:
    Claire Elaina Miller, Now 15

- Manheim Township,
    Lancaster County,
    Pennsylvania -
    - 22 February 2021 -

11)) NBC News:
    Attorney for Lancaster County teen accused of killing sister plans insanity or mental health defense

12)) Google™ Supplements & Updates:
    Claire Elaina Miller - Lancaster, PA - Google Search

14)) Pennsylvania (Lower) Court Docket:
    *https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/Report/MdjDocketSheet?docketNumber=MJ-02102-CR-0000057-2021&dnh=Uu1OQZZnPnnCj8BLJcwwJA==
    via: Case Search

15)) Autopsy:
    Cause of Death :: Stab Wound
    Manner of Death :: Homicide
    Mechanism of Death :: Exsanguination

16)) February 2021 -- Lancaster Online dot Com:
    Read the criminal complaint: Lancaster Country Day School student charged with killing her sister
    [GRAPHIC Text]

18)) Medium dot Com:
    This 14-Year-Old TikToker Killed Her Disabled Sister
    & = And - [AMP' err sand]
    § = Section / Silcrow - [SILL' crow]
    §§ = Sub-Section - [Double-Silcrow]
    = Trademark
    Autopsy = Body Examination to Determine Cause & Manner of Death
    CP = (Upper) Court of Common Pleas
    C.S.A. = Consolidated Statutes - Annotated
    DA = District Attorney
    DP = Death Penalty - NOT Eligible for PA Juveniles
    Exsanguination = Major Blood Loss
    F/14 = Female / Age 14
    F/19 = Female / Age 19
    F1 = Felony-Grade Crime of the 1st Degree
    Fratricide = Killing of One's Sister
    GED = General Equivalency High School Diploma
    LCP
    = Lancaster County Prison
    LE = Law Enforcement
    LWOP = Life With-Out Parole
    ME = Medical Examiner
    MJ = (Lower) Magisterial District Judge Court
    Ms. = Female Form of Mr. / Mister
    via = by-way-of
    YOA = Years of Age

Our Support to All Domestic Violence
    Survivors and Victims...

[Contribution # 8072
    Thread # 560437]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  4. Be the Change

Be the Change Member

Forced into premature CARETAKER ROLE as you mentioned is what my immediate response was- Especially when it was noted that WHITEBOARD of CLAIRE’S CHORES was among evidence investors gathered. If so, that’s an ENORMOUS BURDEN to have placed upon a child. Also noted was that parents remained asleep during all of this- Is this indicative of HOW IT WAS FOR young Claire? Tragic all around.

borndem, Alcina, mickey2942 and 6 others like this.
  5. Bradley Q.

Bradley Q. Active Member

Kinda curious as to why it's been so long without any updates.
    Huh, I never heard about the whiteboard earlier. What article was that from?

6. LizzyE

LizzyE Well-Known Member

I was able to find the information in this news article. Hope this helps.

Witness: Lancaster County teen charged in sister's murder was having 'suicidal, homicidal thoughts' | fox43.com

7. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in the beginning that a list of chores was one of the things taken from the home. I don't think that necessarily means Claire was her sister's caretaker, though. Most teenagers have chores and many parents make a list.

Marg from Oz, rhino, Laughing and 7 others like this.
  8. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Did they have an aide come in every day to bathe Helen, clean her, feed her, dress her and get her into her special wheelchair?

I doubt both parents worked unless they had hired a daily caregiver to be with Helen.

The specific forms of cerebral palsy are determined by the extent, type, and location of a child’s abnormalities.

Helen was nonverbal.

Did she have seizures, hearing loss, ongoing infections?

Was she able to feed herself? Did you have to watch her carefully when she ate due to food aspiration?

Could Helen get to a bathroom on her own? Perform her own transfers, dress and undress? Perform her own hygiene?

If Helen needed something in the middle of the night how did she communicate her needs? A monitor in her bedroom?

9. Dancemom1

Dancemom1 New Member

I am almost sure Helen could not get to the bathroom herself. She wasn't ambulatory.

borndem, Laughing, elliefant and 3 others like this.
  10. HM99

HM99 Well-Known Member

My adult daughter has a friend with CP. This woman spends all her waking hours in a wheelchair but can use the bathroom on her own. In fact, she attended college away from home and lives entirely on her own. She doesn’t drive, but does have a job as a counselor in a medical facility. That is not to say that Helen could do the things this woman does, just that she may not have been totally helpless. There are varying degrees of abilities in people who have CP. moo of course

11. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

She attended a residential school for students with CP; it’s in West Philadelphia, a fairly long ride away from Lancaster where the family resided. Not sure if Helen boarded there like some students, or if she was a day student and commuted in every day. She was 19, which is slightly older than what we expect in K-12 schools but this particular school appears to offer a supportive living program to students who are 19-20. The school’s website is HMSSchool.org.

I was wondering if Helen typically stayed at school during the week and just came home on weekends, and perhaps the pandemic put an end to that (school was forced to close per PA state regulations, as explained in the school’s 2019-2020 annual report on its website). I believe both parents are employed outside the home in some capacity, but would have to go back in the thread to see where this question was previously asked and answered to point you to a source that supports my recollection. In short, though, Helen suddenly living at home full time (if she previously had not) would likely have changed the family dynamics under that roof, IMO. This would be especially true, I think, if Claire was suddenly ALSO at home doing online school due to the pandemic and if the parents were out of the house for some of the day, working.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  12. MsBetsy

Yes, for an insanity defense I would think they would have to prove that she did not know what she did was wrong at the time of the murder.

She called police right away and was reportedly hysterical, crying that she had just stabbed her sister, which implies that she knew what she did was wrong.

It will probably be much clearer when we find out the results of her psychological evaluations. I'm curious if her preoccupation with violence and murder themes will play a role. Imo

13. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

I think saying that Claire didn't take on a caretaker role for her sister is a bit naive. I'm sure Claire did help her sister with daily things, there's no way she didn't. Everyone in that home was Helen's caretaker.

14. MsBetsy

Oh I'm sure she helped out in caring for her sister. I just haven't seen any evidence that she was "forced into a caretaker role" or that it was so much of a responsibility that it placed too much pressure on her. Her parents were likely the primary caretakers throughout Helen's life, and Claire helped out just like any other sibling would be expected to do. Imo

15. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m over-thinking this, but I just don’t see the parents paying for prep school (which usually require a lot of extracurriculars) only to saddle her with caregiving responsibilities.

However…
    This was February 2021. I’m guessing that Helen’s in-person care (school & in-home care) was drastically reduced or eliminated due to covid. If the parents both worked, they wouldn’t exactly be alone in struggling to put in a full work day. I'm just a SAHM of neuro-typical, healthy kids but I've found myself giving my oldest extra responsibilities when a fully WFM spouse needs quiet for important calls because I only have two hands and can't have a toddler interrupting a call while I'm changing a diaper, and I can’t exactly take my unvaccinated kids to the aquarium or museum like we used to. I can empathize with a stressed parent who is trying to keep it all together. It’s very hard.

If the parents did assign some caregiving to Claire, I get it. It’s not fair, but I get it. What were their options? Quit work and lose the house? Before you say "hire someone!," please remember that Helen was likely particularly vulnerable to covid and the parents might have decided that it was safest to have Claire temporarily handle her sister's needs. I know I continue to make decisions that prioritize my family's physical health to the detriment of their mental health, like very limited playdates. They may have prioritized Helen's physical health over Claire's mental health.

This is just a sad thing for everyone.

JMO.