PA PA - James Amabile, 38, Folsom, 4 Dec 2003

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

2. Loading...

3. summer_breeze

summer_breeze New Member

4. bpinkbinkie

bpinkbinkie New Member

Bumping...

Being local to this missing person, I had heard about it when James when missing in 2003, but it wasn't until I watched this the other night that I heard a few tidbits like he may have been involved in selling prescription narcotics and that his best friend named Dennis, the last person who saw him, wouldn't talk.

Missing person, Have you seen Jimmy Amabile? - YouTube

I always find it very strange when someone's vehicle goes missing along with the person. The area he disappeared from is a very heavily traveled area, and around that time of day would have been very busy. Which leads me to believe it wasn't some random act of crime, or something like a carjacking.

5. alucardsdream

alucardsdream New Member

Bumping

I was living in that area when he went missing and I remember the initial coverage of the case. I was working in pharmacy at the time and he was one of our customers...we were all hoping for a quick resolution because he was diabetic and we knew he wouldn't be able to survive long without insulin. It's hard to believe they never found any trace of him or his truck.

6. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

This decedent was found living out of his car in Philly:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/17019

but physical characteristics don’t match.

This decedent was found on the banks of the Delaware River, also in Philly:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16508

Same height. Clothing does not match.

Might be a few more matches here [WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES]

http://lostandfound.revealnews.org/...01/1900&end_date=12/31/2017&missingperson=762

Check the box ‘Show only results after Dec. 4, 2003’. I didn’t select for race or ethnicity.

7. alucardsdream

alucardsdream New Member

It's odd, there was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer right after he disappeared and it says he had an insulin pump implanted in him, which is what I remember him having. But Namus doesn't mention it. I have a bunch of notes on his case because I wrote a book about unsolved missing person cases in Pennsylvania and was originally going to include his but decided against it at the last minute. I just pulled out some of my notes and the first article that mentioned the insulin pump was on Thursday, December 11, 2003..."Police continue search for diabetic, missing one week" by Marc Schogol. If the article is right, Namus should probably update that because that device could really help ID him.

8. Bohemian

They should. An ‘insulin pump’ is a cannula inserted under the skin, with external tubing and pump, isn’t it? So he would have one(or more) small abdominal scar(s). Would it noticeable enough to be recovered if James’ remains were/are found incinerated/immersed in water/skeletonized? Did he also have a Continuous Glucose Monitor?

Congratulations on your book!

9. Bohemian

10. alucardsdream

alucardsdream New Member

Thanks!
    He would definitely have marks where the catheter was inserted, and I believe you're supposed to change the needle on the infusion set a couple of times a week. If he was found submerged in water, the pump would probably be long gone. If he got buried somewhere it would still be with the body, at least the plastic parts of it. Most of the pumps are hooked up to a monitor so it can give extra insulin if the person's sugar drops.

If I remember correctly, when police interviewed his wife, she said James would only have enough insulin in the pump to last a couple of days. She thought maybe his sugar got too low and he got disoriented. I guess it's possible he went off the road and into water somewhere, but that would mean he was pretty far off course from where he should have been if he was just driving to the babysitter's to pick up the kids.

11. alucardsdream

alucardsdream New Member

The height is the same...weight is a lot lower but that's probably to be expected since the body was decomposed. I noticed there's no DNA listed as being on file for James, either. Definitely worth a shot!

12. Bohemian

Or he was the victim of foul play. There are other decedents on The Lost & The Found who may be potential matches. I’ll do a more thorough search tomorrow. Late here in Oz :eek:fftobed:

13. Bohemian

14. Bohemian

15. Bohemian

If you don’t find any potential matches for James/Jimmy/Jim with PA UID persons, I’d be inclined to those from other Mid-Atlantic states, particularly NJ. Folsom and Woodlyn are not far from the PA/NJ border (as you’d already know):

[​IMG]
    Source: https://goo.gl/maps/weRf26rsEfE2

I can’t tell you the number of potential matches for mispers that I’ve found for UID persons in neighbouring states, or even neighbouring counties.

16. alucardsdream

alucardsdream New Member

Plus, I-95 runs right through there, giving easy access to pretty much anywhere on the east coast. It goes from Maine to Florida and it passes right through Delco near Woodlyn. If he was disoriented and ended up on that highway there's no telling how far he could have gotten.

17. Bohemian

That’s true. I suspect James/Jimmy/Jim didn’t get very far.