Found Deceased PA - Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, Bird-in-Hand, Lancaster County, 21 June 2020 *kidnapping arrest* #4

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by TTF14, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Trackergd

Trackergd SAR Search Manager and Footprint Tracker

There is at least one security camera that I saw. I could not get close enough to see if there was one on the side and out back along the rail line without being real obvious about it.

2. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

This is a quick photo of map. Little box/square things circled as well as access from Walker lane

Attached Files:

3. Trackergd

The little box things are culverts for streams and creeks to pass under the rail right of way. Walker way ends in the woods at the driveway for a house.

On occasion there are still ash pits, water tower, switch tower and turn table foundations along sections of right of way and trunk lines that are left over from the steam era.

4. momsof3

momsof3 Well-Known Member

I'm just now seeing that Linda was found and have read through all the posts. I have two thoughts - first 42 inches is deep - did JS have access to a small bobcat or other earthmoving equipment through his job? Could he have used that to dig instead of digging by hand.

My second thought is that I am profoundly relieved she was found in a place connected to JS's employment with cell phone data that corroborates his whereabouts. Plus the DNA. I am an attorney (not criminal) and there was compelling circumstantial evidence prior to finding Linda but it was scant enough that I worried about reasonable doubt. Not any more. There is so much evidence now and very little argument for the defense to make.
    My thoughts are with her family right now - what a mix of emotions they must be feeling.

5. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Wasn't he a wrestler in high school?

I'll see if I can find confirmation of this.

If he was, then maybe he could have carried her fairly easily.

ETA: Yes he was a wrestler, according to this link: Old Order community witnesses, latter-day technology led to arrest of suspect in Amish woman’s kidnapping

@momsof3 , you mentioned a small bobcat, or other earth-moving equipment, for digging the hole. I've been wondering if he had access to an ATV (all terrain vehicle) to transport her there.

Questions, questions.

JMVHO.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    sallye818, StarEyes, MaryG12 and 10 others like this.
  6. Rockfarmer

Rockfarmer Well-Known Member

Looking at the Lancaster County property assessor documents, the group of properties along the east side of the railroad tracks are owned by the same entity. The large property to the west of the tracks is owned by a separate individual. So, in the area of Dutchland, Inc., the railroad parcel is only the narrow strip along the tracks.
    I can't imagine that digging was easy in that narrow strip of the railroad right of way, but I don't think heavy equipment was needed. With a bar and a shovel, and moderate soil conditions, I would say it would take a half day for a wimpy person in moderate physical shape--like me. Or maybe a few breaks and lunch hours for a younger stronger person.
    It looks on google maps like the graveled Dutchland back parking lot and laydown yard are completely enclosed by high fence, possibly chain link. There would need to be a breach in the perimeter fence. The gravel lot is quite close to the fence along the tracks. There are sheds, trucks, and other items staged along that area as well which would screen a car parked there or other activities.
    I don't understand why take the risk of making the move.
    I don't understand why pick a spot with any connection to him.
    I don't understand anything about this horrible, horrible series of acts.
    Parcel Details for 5505323800000
    ArcGIS Web Application
    Google Maps

7. Trackergd

I'm thinking a mattock and shovel. Still a little puzzled. There is no cover in that area on the RR right of way. Most of it is fist sized ballast rock (grey area under tracks and ties) and narrow dirt strip on either side. Any locomotive or light rail car crews would have spotted someone digging in that area during the day and called Amtrak Police to investigate. Can't see JS moving a ton of ballast rock, digging a hole and covering it all back up. Ground under the ballast must be full of all kinds of oils, grease and PCB's from the old PRR GG1 electric locomotives days. Edited to add, I just pulled out my tape measure and looked at 42", then figured 4' by 6'...that is a LOT of dirt.

8. Rockfarmer

Rockfarmer Well-Known Member

~rsbm~
    Nothing makes me think he is going to treat her with kindness and respect after the fact. Apologies, but after rigor mortis passes, a conveniently roundish 18"- 24" would do for the sole purpose to conceal.
    (ugh so sorry. I'm very sad and appalled.)

9. UnapologeticallyAspie

UnapologeticallyAspie Well-Known Member

Unless he did it over a longer period of time before he even took Linda, and if he knew the train schedules. MOO

Brubon, MaryG12, IHAVENOCLUE and 7 others like this.
  10. Twolabs

Twolabs Well-Known Member

The Harvest Road location is also very open in a lot of places. What I observed was the 2 businesses and the tracks ran right behind them. Across the tracks are some houses, maybe made into apartments. Looking at the businesses from their own parking lot, to the left there is some tree line hiding the railroad tracks but it is not thick or dense until you go down quite further. He would have had to take her pretty far to be undetected there. It makes no sense to me that he would bury her there and then move her a couple of days later. I know it is possible he did that though. I can't wait to see the evidence they have that leads them to believe that. JMO of course.

11. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

RBBM

That is a lot of dirt.

All that work--digging a hole, moving her--he had help.

JMVHO.

12. WildOrchid

WildOrchid Well-Known Member

A tribute to Linda from the find Linda fb page.

Attached Files:

tesni, sallye818, Weeobanite and 25 others like this.
  13. Rosiebones

Rosiebones Well-Known Member

Maybe the evidence is someone's confession to helping him dig and then move.

14. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

[bbm]

so he probably threatened her with the knife and that's why she appeared to be walking willingly to his car - I really hate him so much

15. Izmack

Izmack Well-Known Member

“They’re gonna go get Linda today.” Sounds like it was prearranged to bring JS to identify the site.

sallye818, bluenoser, LadyL and 15 others like this.
  16. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

17. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

I'm glad she was found, but I'm so sad for her family. I bet they still had some hope. For some reason, I thought she could be alive.

18. Maryland Oracle

Maryland Oracle Well-Known Member

I was appalled to hear that Linda had gone missing on Fathers Day last year and have hoped for the safe return to her family ever since. Linda's obit is very difficult for me to read and I'm finding it hard to have any Christian or charitable thoughts for Smoker at this moment. Utterly evil, worthless piece of ****.

sallye818, LadyL, Stopthehate and 8 others like this.
  19. P. Kitty

P. Kitty Member

I've been following this case since day one. Although expected after a while, it's still sad to see it end this way. Rest in Peace, Linda. May her family and friends find comfort and strength. They are in my thoughts.

sallye818, bluenoser, LadyL and 9 others like this.
  20. Coppertop15

Coppertop15 Well-Known Member

sallye818, LadyL, MaryG12 and 16 others like this.