PA PA - Markia Benson, 36, found slain in bathtub, Secane, 30 Mar 2016

Bolded by me.

I'm not sure any of us here know the area well enough to answer this question. I'd like to see the Cold Case ladies tackle this one. I bet they could get answers.

Delaware County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia
That has some maps of Delaware County. I'm not sure if that helps.
$5,000 reward in year-old Delaware County murder case
Here is a link to the apartment complex
https://www.hgliving.com/new-orlean...&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=website_link
I grew up in the area and I can't describe it lol.

I was thinking about this case. It bothers me that it wasn't made into a big deal in Delaware County PA. I've seen people post on my old towns FB page with more intense feelings over a lost dog. How does this not get attention or scare people. I wonder if it would have been treated differently if she was white. If she was a white woman would neighbors and people in the area possibly be more offended by the death and scared for themselves? It's so sad.

I don't think it is race, but the fact there is nothing new to report. It is that way is most cases. I also think that they have some idea of who did this, but you have to have evidence to put a person away.

I was thinking about this case. It bothers me that it wasn't made into a big deal in Delaware County PA. I've seen people post on my old towns FB page with more intense feelings over a lost dog. How does this not get attention or scare people. I wonder if it would have been treated differently if she was white. If she was a white woman would neighbors and people in the area possibly be more offended by the death and scared for themselves? It's so sad.

BBM - Are you talking about Pistol?

I don't know if it's about race but I do think in cases like this that seem to fade into oblivion it's largely because there is no family/friends pushing on social media, etc. Squeaky wheel and all that. I'm not implying her family and friends don't care. They might just not be savvy.

BBM - Are you talking about Pistol?

I don't know if it's about race but I do think in cases like this that seem to fade into oblivion it's largely because there is no family/friends pushing on social media, etc. Squeaky wheel and all that. I'm not implying her family and friends don't care. They might just not be savvy.

I grew up in Ridley Park and I noticed a lot of racism in the area and I'm white. Racism is everywhere. This isn't unique to Delaware County. The Carolyn Byington case in NJ attracted muche more attention and actually has an arrest.
NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest* #2
I'm not using this site as an example of racial bias. The thread shows that there was media attention, public concern. Markia Benson's family did interviews. Dead white women get more attention in the media. Their stories become national news, black women often barely stay in local news. Laci Peterson was all over the news which is as it should be when people go missing. I was living in Philadelphia in 2005 and Latoyia Figueroa was another pregnant woman that was missing. The local news covered her dad leading search parties. Her case didn't attract the same attention as Laci Peterson.
Murder of LaToyia Figueroa - Wikipedia
That always stuck with me. I was a new mom and also watching searches of areas not far from me.

I'm getting annoyed that the cops in Ridley seem to have pushed this case to Darby. Markia Benson was slaughtered in her home.

Hello

I'M MARKIA sister and I appreciate you for caring ❤. We have not given up on her . It hurts every day not having her here. I will tell you that the Two Detectives that was on her case, has stayed in contact with our family. I love them them for that and will be grateful for life. I can not tell you to much, but we ( Family) have an idea and we all including friends and coworkers pointed to one person, who did fail the lie detector, which stated in the news. I will say this much to you and all that has been supporting even through you all don't know us. With every bone in my body I will see one way or another we get him. It was some from her pass who couldn't let go.

Ladies when a man refuses to let you go or make remakes like " If I can't nobody can " belive him and get help. I'm not saying that took place, but from what was told to us from friends he was a verbal abuser.. To put others at ease it wasn't the recent Boyfriend which was my close friend his whereabouts was with us ( Friends) at the time. It was personal for sure and I can't give out details.

What I would love 4 you and anyone eles to pray for my family and justice for her. Markia was a good girl and am not saying it because she was my sister am saying the kind of girl that waited to get married so she could have children, did right to everyone who came across her, the girl who went to church and took her Aunt and Mom out on Saturday outing. That was her.

I truly miss her so much, and I still cry at times but being strong for my Parents is always 1st priority. Thank you for your kind words .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-160540_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715-160540_Facebook.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 8
Hello

I'M MARKIA sister and I appreciate you for caring ❤. We have not given up on her . It hurts every day not having her here. I will tell you that the Two Detectives that was on her case, has stayed in contact with our family. I love them them for that and will be grateful for life. I can not tell you to much, but we ( Family) have an idea and we all including friends and coworkers pointed to one person, who did fail the lie detector, which stated in the news. I will say this much to you and all that has been supporting even through you all don't know us. With every bone in my body I will see one way or another we get him. It was some from her pass who couldn't let go.

Ladies when a man refuses to let you go or make remakes like " If I can't nobody can " belive him and get help. I'm not saying that took place, but from what was told to us from friends he was a verbal abuser.. To put others at ease it wasn't the recent Boyfriend which was my close friend his whereabouts was with us ( Friends) at the time. It was personal for sure and I can't give out details.

What I would love 4 you and anyone eles to pray for my family and justice for her. Markia was a good girl and am not saying it because she was my sister am saying the kind of girl that waited to get married so she could have children, did right to everyone who came across her, the girl who went to church and took her Aunt and Mom out on Saturday outing. That was her.

I truly miss her so much, and I still cry at times but being strong for my Parents is always 1st priority. Thank you for your kind words .

Thank you for giving the update. I was thinking of your sister just today. I will continue to pray for you, your family and the detectives on the case.

Hello

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad Markia's case is still being investigated. I hope and pray she gets justice soon. She sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Hello

Thank you for posting, Monica. I think about Markia often. She is not forgotten! I hope someday soon the perpetrator slips up and tells someone what happened, someone with a conscience, who can give the police that one tip they need to nail him.

Good Day All!

I am Markia's oldest sister and would like to echo @MONICAKIA42, on our appreciation for the heartfelt comments, regarding our sister's case.
As you can imagine, it has been a long 4 years and contrary to popular belief, Markia's case is still very much active.
We have opted to keep information close to vest for a multitude of reason.
I have to say, reading through of the the comments was a bit interesting, to say the least.
And yes, we have had a lot of the very same questions and concerns.
I will say, as the 'spokesperson' for the family, I have and continue to remain in close and direct communication with the detectives on Markia's case.
With this, we have developed a very good relationship and I am 100% confident that they are 1000% vested in this case.
That said, if any of you come across anything you think would prove useful, please don't hesitate to let me or my sister know.
Again many, many thanks for your concern, kind words and support.
It means more than you know, especially coming from people who do not know us or Markia, personally.
@Skully, if possible, I'd like to chat with you offline.
I am new to this blogging thing, so if you could send me a private message with your contact details or private message me on FB (Monique Benson), that would be great.
Thanks.

Just heard about Markia's case on the Unsolved Mysteries podcast. PA is my home state, and I'm disappointed to have not heard more about this before now. I hope there is justice for Markia and for her family. Her life was taken in a horrific way when she had so much more ahead of her.

Just heard about Markia's case on the Unsolved Mysteries podcast. PA is my home state, and I'm disappointed to have not heard more about this before now. I hope there is justice for Markia and for her family. Her life was taken in a horrific way when she had so much more ahead of her.
I hope this case gets more attention. It’s an awful crime and no one in Delaware County PA seemed concerned. I’m listening to the podcast now, thanks for letting people know it exists!

I don't think it is race, but the fact there is nothing new to report. It is that way is most cases. I also think that they have some idea of who did this, but you have to have evidence to put a person away.
After following the Gabby Petito threads and seeing all the main stream media and political attention given her case, I sadly now do think that this case (and perhaps many others) is/are not receiving as much attention as some others due to race (or, what some talking heads are claiming is “Missing White Woman Syndrome”). I think there is something to this claim.

It sure seems the case should have been solved by now. It’s been 5 years. Where is LE? I guess just not much evidence - though that seems hard to believe given the crime scene. Seems LE should maybe consider releasing some info (especially with fewer LE available to work on cases these days).

Where is info on possible fingerprints? dna? and the murder weapon? Any cctv of vehicles entering Markia’s apartments and nearby intersections at the right times)? Was there ever a sketch? Handwriting analysis? Surely they have cell phone records (locations, times and durations of call and texts), usage info and posts on other apps, and posts on social media in the lead up , and during, this encounter. License plate reader info?

It can’t be a very big pool of possible suspects (in fact, don’t they have a poi?).Has LE searched the ex boyfriend’s house and autos? Who else would Markia have let in?

Were there any witnesses who might’ve seen any suspicious persons near the building? Can anybody place the ex-boyfriend near Markia’s apartment? Has he taken a lie detector test recently?

Very much hoping this case gets the attention it deserves. There needs to be justice for Markia. And anybody who could commit such a rage filled helter skelter murder is a threat to do so again. LE (and WS) needs to turn up the heat and get this monster off the streets. Jmo

After following the Gabby Petito threads and seeing all the main stream media and political attention given her case, I sadly now do think that this case (and perhaps many others) is/are not receiving as much attention as some others due to race (or, what some talking heads are claiming is “Missing White Woman Syndrome”). I think there is something to this claim.

It sure seems the case should have been solved by now. It’s been 5 years. Where is LE? I guess just not much evidence - though that seems hard to believe given the crime scene. Seems LE should maybe consider releasing some info (especially with fewer LE available to work on cases these days).

Where is info on possible fingerprints? dna? and the murder weapon? Any cctv of vehicles entering Markia’s apartments and nearby intersections at the right times)? Was there ever a sketch? Handwriting analysis? Surely they have cell phone records (locations, times and durations of call and texts), usage info and posts on other apps, and posts on social media in the lead up , and during, this encounter. License plate reader info?

It can’t be a very big pool of possible suspects (in fact, don’t they have a poi?).Has LE searched the ex boyfriend’s house and autos? Who else would Markia have let in?

Were there any witnesses who might’ve seen any suspicious persons near the building? Can anybody place the ex-boyfriend near Markia’s apartment? Has he taken a lie detector test recently?

Very much hoping this case gets the attention it deserves. There needs to be justice for Markia. And anybody who could commit such a rage filled helter skelter murder is a threat to do so again. LE (and WS) needs to turn up the heat and get this monster off the streets. Jmo

My uncle lived in the building back in 20o4. I grew up in the area. I thought the apt complex was in Secane and was in Ridley Township not Darby. It doesn’t matter really. The Darby Police could be in charge of the area but it also seems like something that should have been investigated with every resource in the county and surrounding counties. I remember being shocked how little people seemed to care. If I lived in the building I would have been scared. Even at the time I remember thinking was it a serial killer because they were vague with details but what was released sounded brutal.

If she didn’t give out her key it doesn’t mean someone couldn’t get it. The office or maintenance would have a copy. Someone could have taken her keys and made one. She also might have opened the door in a rush for a friend or ex, or someone she thought was maintenance. When it’s daylight people sometimes open a door to check the temperature. I wonder what it what it was. You might not be as cautious locking a door if you are about to leave. I think my uncle thought the walls were thin. He also had moved in because he was separated from his wife and was back in an apt for the first time in awhile. Being able to hear other people can give you a false sense of security. You feel like someone is always close enough but you also get used to hearing other people moving around, talking loudly or a tv being on. Most people don’t want to be the neighbor that complains about every noise. It also sounds like she might not have had the chance to struggle. So tragic smh.

The killer possibly showing up when people were getting up, going off to work or school is kind of like hiding in plain sight. It wouldn’t be weird for people to be coming and going.

There is racism in that area. A pregnant woman went missing around the same time as lacy Peterson in Philadelphia. She wasn’t white or married. LaToyia Figueroa didn’t get national attention. Her dad was leading searches all over Philly. There is definitely a disparity between the attention given to POC that go missing or are murdered and white people that share the same fate.
Murder of LaToyia Figueroa - Wikipedia
This case just bothers me. Markia seemed to have a great life and someone took that and then people didn’t see appropriately upset in a suburb that possibly had a killer in it. I hope she gets justice.
Sorry for the rant.

I don't know why white women seem to end up on CNN and crime shows, more than AfroAmerican women, but I do know that the person that screams the loudest, gets the attention. Not saying the family didn't, but you have to chase the media with something that they can talk about on the news, or blog about. It's sad that this is the case, but some of these cases are just weird. I wish Markia would get the attention she deserves and get justice for her and get a monster off the streets as well. If there is nothing new to report about a case, it dies out. Hoping something develops and she gets her justice. Thanks for the insight too, I don't disagree with you.

You know, there are a lot of things in these cases that are not fair. One thing is that there are not enough detectives to give the cases the hours and months and years it takes to get to the bottom of it or get it to court. Many times they know who did the deed, but they don't have evidence to prove the guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Or the DA won't prosecute it because they don't trust a jury to get to a guilty verdict. I get it, you only get one chance, so you have to wait to get what you need, but sometimes I think you have to really push to get someone to talk, like here. Someone knows but they are not coming forward because of fear. Let's hope it doesn't take another murder to get this .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back