PA - Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, West Willow, 5 June 1984

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by Richard, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Richard

Richard New Member

Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, Missing 5 June 1984 from West Willow, PA

Mary Ann Bagenstose
    Missing Since: June 5, 1984
    Location Last Seen: West Willow, Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania

Physical Description

Date of Birth: Unknown
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 25
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125-130 lbs
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Mary Ann had a slight limp caused by a car accident when she was younger; wore a lift in one shoe.
    Dentals: Available
    Fingerprints: Unknown
    DNA: Unknown Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Blue jeans, black t-shirt, brown sandals
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance

The morning of Tuesday, June 5, 1984 would be the last time that Mary Ann's mother would speak with her. In that last phone call, Mary Ann told her mother that her estranged husband would be picking her up to go look at a car he was considering buying for her.

Mary Ann's husband would later tell police that he did go to the West Willow Road home that morning, but that Mary Ann wasn't ready, so the husband took the couple's 2-year old son to Long Park to feed the ducks.

Upon returning to the residence, the husband said that Mary Ann was gone, but had left a note saying that she was walking to a nearby Turkey Hill Minit Market since her car wouldn't start. The clerks at the store, who knew Mary Ann well, stated that they didn't see her that day.

Police searched the fields and woods around the Bagenstose home, but found nothing. Relatives, neighbors and friends, including a boarder who was staying at the home at that time, were interviewed, but nothing substantial was learned.

A roadblock was set up to see if anyone had seen Mary Ann walking along the road that day. The garage floor at the home was dug up - but nothing was found.

Mary Ann's husband said that he'd thrown away the note he said his wife left. It was never recovered. It would be totally out of character for Mary Ann to voluntarily leave her son behind, or to leave without contacting her mother, who she used to speak to every day. Foul play is strongly suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)

If you have any information about this case please contact;

Pennsylvania State Police
    Trooper Gerry Sauers
    Phone Number: 717-299-7650

Agency Case Number: J01-308-428 Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Information Source(s)
    Pennsylvania Missing
    The Doe Network: Mary Ann Bagenstose - 3091DFPA

2. Loading...

3. CastlesBurning

CastlesBurning New Member

If there really had been a note - which somehow I doubt - and the husband had thrown it away, I'd think it would still be in the trash can, easily retrievable. If they didn't find anything, that IMO says something, combined with the clerks not seeing Mary Ann that day.

Did anyone check to see if there was really anything wrong with the car?

Too bad the son was only two years old. I doubt that he would have been able to provide any useful information to investigators.

4. belleyes

belleyes LOOK I learned how to type a user title.

I am so glad someone posted this. I have wondered for years about this case. I remember being young, riding in the car with my mom and being stopped for questioning. It really rattled me. It is a very small town. I have always wondered what her name was (I just asked my mom about this 2 days ago)

5. Houston Mom

Houston Mom New Member

6. traacker13

traacker13 New Member

7. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

8. Richrd

Richrd Active Member

PA - Mary Ann Bagenstose, 25, Lancaster County - 5 June 1984

NamUs Case File - MP # 12184

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/12184

Mary Ann Bagenstose
    Missing Since: June 5, 1984
    Location Last Seen: West Willow, Lancaster Co, PA

Physical Description:

Age at Time of Disappearance: 25
    Race: White
    Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5
    Weight at Time of Disappearance: 125-130 lbs
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Mary Ann had a slight limp caused by a car accident when she was younger; wore a lift in one shoe.
    Dentals: Available
    DNA: Unknown Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Blue jeans, black t-shirt, brown sandals

Circumstances of Disappearance:

The morning of Tuesday, June 5, 1984 would be the last time that Mary Ann's mother would speak with her. In that last phone call, Mary Ann told her mother that her estranged husband would be picking her up to go look at a car he was considering buying for her.

Mary Ann's husband would later tell police that he did go to the West Willow Road home that morning, but that Mary Ann wasn't ready, so the husband took the couple's 2-year old son to Long's Park to feed the ducks.

Upon returning to the residence, the husband said that Mary Ann was gone, but had left a note saying that she was walking to a nearby Turkey Hill Minit Market since her car wouldn't start. The clerks at the store, who knew Mary Ann well, stated that they didn't see her that day.

Police searched the fields and woods around the Bagenstose home, but found nothing. Relatives, neighbors and friends, including a boarder who was staying at the home at that time, were interviewed, but nothing substantial was learned.

A roadblock was set up to see if anyone had seen Mary Ann walking along the road that day. The garage floor at the home was dug up - but nothing was found.

Mary Ann's husband said that he'd thrown away the note he said his wife left. It was never recovered. It would be totally out of character for Mary Ann to voluntarily leave her son behind, or to leave without contacting her mother, who she used to speak to every day. Foul play is strongly suspected.

Investigating Agency(s)

Pennsylvania State Police - Lancaster Station
    Phone Number: 717-299-7650

Agency Case Number: J01-308-428

Information Sources:
    http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/bagenstosemaryann.html
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/12184
    The Doe Network: Mary Ann Bagenstose - 3091DFPA

9. Dark Sleuth

Dark Sleuth Member

Found this article on the case from 2004 in which Bagenstose's mom said:

http://lancasteronline.com/news/haunted-by-memories/article_1db9944b-42cd-597c-8067-f9b23748f389.html

The article also mentions that in 2004, there seemed to be new developments in the case which were not publicly revealed. Bagenstose's mom is quoted as saying " “I’'m hoping charges will be filed before the end of the year. I don’t want to say more."

Sadly that doesn't seem to have happened.

Last article I found is from 2011. It mentions that a private investigator who was hired by Bagenstose's mom (also mentioned in the 2004 article) continues to send any tips he gets to police.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/sti...cle_7569b625-41d3-5999-adeb-5fc454474cdd.html

10. Trackergd

Trackergd SAR Search Manager

Shiprock Woods Nature Preserve looks like the closest spot to dispose of remains within the time frame. Next best would be the woods around Goods Run.

11. Ibiz

Ibiz Back to work again.

Seems odd that she would disappear while dad and son were at the park feeding the ducks.

12. Trackergd

I agree. Looking at google earth, it does not appear there is a dire risk of assault between her home and the TH mart. Only question to me would be if the actor was at the TH mart looking for a victim to abduct.

13. Ibiz

Ibiz Back to work again.

Well, apparently everyone at the TH mart knew her, and stated that she was never there. Also, her mother said Mary Ann had a bad leg and walked with a limp, and would have never walked to the TH Mart. Then there was the note she supposingley wrote but was never found.

Also, WHY WOULD SHE walked down to the TH Mart when she knew her EX was waiting for her to get ready to possibly go buy a car?

14. Trackergd

Ibiz, I agree. All the evidence (that we know of) points in one direction. Problem is that even if you knew the general area of the remains, they would still be difficult to detect depending on depth. I wonder if there is a junk yard in the regional area that (during the 80"s) accepted 55 gal drums, and if they are still there. Next would be if "someone" had and still has a storage locker or possibly a shed on the property. I have had some luck detecting jewelry, belt buckles and dental amalgam at depths of 12-17" using a hybrid search coil. Shoelace eyelets tend to be "ffy" depending on depth.