Found Deceased PA - Matthew Mindler, 19, MU student, did not return to his room, Millersville, 24 Aug 2021

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, Aug 26, 2021.

1. MyJoey

MyJoey Verified Family ~ Joseph “Joey” Ressler III

NOoooooo ! Horrible!

Marg from Oz, Filly, abr and 6 others like this.

2. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Poor little guy. What happened? Will it be reported in MSM as to cause of death? We'll have to wait & see.
    Manor Township looks entirely rural, from what I can observe via Google Maps. Why there? Or was he just taking a walk, kind of wandering around and just being away and alone?
    Kidnapped/murdered, accident, meds/seizure/OD, vehicle hit & run, or self-harm? So young, so young.
    Prayers for his grieving family and for the university.

3. Richrd

Richrd Eight Year Member

Millersville University:

"Millersville University
    Dear Campus Community,

It is with a grieving heart that I let you know of the death of 19-year-old Matthew Mindler from Hellertown, Pennsylvania, a first-year student at Millersville University. Our thoughts of comfort and peace are with his friends and family during this difficult time.

A search had been underway for Matthew since Thursday, after he was reported missing. Millersville University Police and law enforcement agencies from the area had been searching for him since that time. Matthew was found deceased this morning, Saturday, August 28 in Manor Township near campus. Matthew was transported to the Lancaster County Forensic Center by the Coroner for further investigation.

This is a time of grief for the family, our campus and the community. I ask that the campus community come together to support each other, and our students, during this difficult time.

Students in need of support are encouraged to contact the Millersville Counseling Center (717) 871-7821, chaplains within Campus Ministries, Health Services (717) 871-5250 and the Center for Health Education and Promotion (717) 871-4141. Employees impacted should contact the State Employee Assistance Program at 1-800-692-7459.

In sadness,

Daniel A. Wubah, Ph.D.
    University President"

4. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

5. heartgoesout

heartgoesout Well-Known Member

Just heartbreaking. A parent's worst nightmare.

Marg from Oz, dacjess, Filly and 8 others like this.
  6. Sweet Tooth

Sweet Tooth Well-Known Member

He looks so sad in that picture. RIP Matthew, so young. :(

7. MyJoey

I agree. His eyes look really dark in other pictures he has blue eyes.

8. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Self harm? :(

9. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

I didn't realize this until SweetTooth brought up the sadness. My son's college ID was horrid, so I brushed it off. But now that I look at it again, and you mention the once vivid blue eyes, I see the sadness now too. I hope self-harm was not the case -- those have to be the worst on families. We have just come off a year and a half of covid restrictions and isolation, and at that age, it's exceptionally stifling I would assume.

10. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

I tried to look up info regarding student suicide but I'm not finding too much specifically related to that. Other than men are much more likely to be successful in doing so.

Him leaving with a backpack seemed like he was intentionally going somewhere to eat, study or meet with someone. I've often read that suicidal people leave stuff behind and often give stuff away.

I'll be anxious to hear if he sent any communication to anyone that evening.

11. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

12. MyJoey

Lancaster Co news wants everyone to pay, so I can’t send a link.

Attached Files:

13. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

I've only seen "unintended death" used in overdose cases. Big sigh.

14. Breezie

Breezie Well-Known Member

15. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

16. MyJoey

Yes that’s my guess. Plus he wasn’t far from the sidewalk, the way it sounds. That tells me he was in a hurry to use. There has been a lot of fentanyl in the area. So very sad for him and his family.

17. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

That's what I understand to be true of the area. I wonder if he was alone that night. Tragic either way.

18. MyJoey

I imagine he was, he was new to the area. Definitely a guess but I believe it was suicide by drugs. I wonder how many room mates he had?

19. MyJoey

Definitely didn’t go far .

Attached Files:

SUNchips, SaucyWalker, Richrd and 8 others like this.
  20. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

Ohhhhh noooooo!

Handsome kid. Life ahead of him. This is heartbreaking. My deepest and sincere condolences to his mom.

Although I can't see the comments on Twitter from reading our kind and reliable WS comments I am now "assuming " an overdose may have been involved?

Hate to preach to the choir. There is no more opiates as we knew back when. As @MyJoey mentioned everything is cut with fentanyl. Even "hippie drugs" like mushrooms and such got the fentanyl. Every single time you use it's Russian roulette.

Mods if not appropriate please remove. No matter the cause of this talented young man's death the world lost another promising kid.