PA PA - Philadelphia, 30th St Station, AsianMale 20-30, UP7438, gun stolen from WI, note, scars, Apr'94

I've spent a lot of time in Philly. FWIW I definitely think that "The Dragons" is a reference is The Flying Dragons, a Chinese gang in the northeast. They had a documented presence in Philly in the '80s and the '90s (and still do today). It is probably worth mentioning that around this time The Dragons were taking a major hit - the leader was convicted in 1992, and shortly after there were a lot of arrests which likely also means a lot of snitching, double-crossing, and general violent turmoil. You may not realize it, but street gangs are very real and very prominent on the coasts. The murder rate in Philly was huge around the 80s and 90s, and a big percentage of that was attributed to gang violence. I don't think Chinatown buses were a thing until the late 90s, but, even so, there would definitely have been A LOT of traffic (buses, trains) moving through the 30th St. Station that would have been coming from and going to gang hotspots.

It seems many people think that if this was a "gang hit" it would have went down with the sly quality of mob hits in movies and they wouldn't have left a calling card. There are a lot of identified gangs, and lesser-known factions of those gangs, and individuals from those gangs acting independently, and so on. They all have their own identity and MO --- some street gangs leave symbols or messages behind identifying themselves all the time. That's how a "turf war" works. People tend to stay out gang business, even LE. I could aboslutely see a murder occuring in a busy station. I'm sure someone would have guarded the door, and people would have known to stay away. The world isn't filled with vigilantes, and ESPECIALLY not the gen pop of the 30th St. Station in the early '90s.

And, the fact that the gun came from WI. I don't think it is a far stretch by any measure to imagine that a gang member from WI in posession of a stolen gun could have made his way into NYC or Philly and integrated with some of the larger gangs. Believe it or not, Asian street gangs are the most prominent violent organizations in WI. For example, the Menace of Destruction is a Hmong gang that thrives mostly in the mid-west, especially in MN and WI. One of their main activities is reportedly weapons trafficking. The Hmong people migrated in large number to WI in the '80s because of a war in their homeland, resulting in the Hmong becoming the largest Asian minority in the state. Young Hmong men were often recruited by larger Vietnamese gangs in bigger cities. Research has shown that American-Hmong youth in WI have been particularly prone to engaging in gang violence. Hmong people tend to have Southeast Asian and European facial features, which would account for the discrephrency between whether our UID is Asian or Hispanic.

Personally, I think it makes much more sense that Asian gang violence was involved as opposed to imagining that this guy randomly stole a gun, arrived at a bus station in Philly nearly a decade later (a ~15 hour drive and even slower by bus), put on gloves and wrote a weird cryptic note explicitly referencing a gang, then shot himself in the head.

Yeah, but the UID forum is full of people who took buses to possibly faraway locations to kill themselves, leaving cryptic notes, or no notes. And just because the gun was stolen doesn't mean it was in this guy's possession all that time. He could have bought it from a dealer or illegal source at any point.

And it's possible he's a gang member who committed suicide. I can see that note meaning that he thought death was the only way to get out of the gang life.

Yeah, but the UID forum is full of people who took buses to possibly faraway locations to kill themselves, leaving cryptic notes, or no notes. And just because the gun was stolen doesn't mean it was in this guy's possession all that time. He could have bought it from a dealer or illegal source at any point.

And it's possible he's a gang member who committed suicide. I can see that note meaning that he thought death was the only way to get out of the gang life.

Agree, how do you leave a gang life?

I know gangs like to leave a "message" however seems very detailed, can anyone give a example of something similar left to give a "warning"

While Tan Tieu Hong is somewhat smaller than the UID, there is something about him that reminds me of the man found in the men's room (beyond that they are both Asian). Tan Tieu Hong is wanted by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for an attempted murder that took place in Toronto on January 31, 1994. Unfortunately, the photo of Mr. Hong is at sort of an unusual angle and honestly, I can't tell if it is scarring on his forehead or just run of the mill acne.

canadianhong.jpg http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/wanted/tan-tieu-hong

Mr. Hong side by side with Carl's reconstruction. Yeah, the angle doesn't help, but they do have very similar facial structure. That does look like it could be scarring on Hong's forehead. Ears and nose match up (sometimes I discount that but since he was found immediately, I presume the PM/recon are pretty close to what he was in life. Always a question though.)

Do the height/weight/timeframe match up?

Attachments

• tan tieu hong with phillie suicide.png
    tan tieu hong with phillie suicide.png
    130.1 KB · Views: 141
Mr. Hong side by side with Carl's reconstruction. Yeah, the angle doesn't help, but they do have very similar facial structure. That does look like it could be scarring on Hong's forehead. Ears and nose match up (sometimes I discount that but since he was found immediately, I presume the PM/recon are pretty close to what he was in life. Always a question though.)

Do the height/weight/timeframe match up?

I think the timing is ok -- Tan Tieu Hong shot a waiter at a Toronto restaurant on the night of January 31, 1994 and [I am assuming somewhat] he left Toronto not very long after this. It's possible that he could have crossed the border and traveled to Philadelphia before the UID was found in the men's room on July 22, 1994. Tan was born in December of 1967, so he would have been about 26 years old at the time (which is within the Medical Examiner's estimate of between 16 to 30 years old). Height and weight are sort of off, though -- Tan is described as being 5'6" and 133 lbs (yet I'm not sure how accurate this is because his hair is listed as brown and it really looks black to me in the photo). http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/wanted/tan-tieu-hong

That is even a plausible scenario -- if he came to Phillie expecting that the gang there would help him or something, and then got in bad with them, that might have led to suicide.

I wonder what the weapon used in the Toronto murder was. I don't think ballistics information is normally shared US to Canada unless there's a reason.

Are the fingerprint systems linked between the US and Canada? It's one of those things that seem like it should be but might not actually be.

There's some linkage now but as far as I know it's still not automatic. So unless they had some reason to request a check from Canadian authorities, it wouldn't have happened.

I could be wrong of course but I'm pretty sure.

I think there's a similarity in the face, to a point, but it's hard to tell. The unidentified appears to have a darker complexion.

I found this story about Tan Tieu Hong from 1988.

The Globe and Mail
A 20-year-old man wanted in connection with two Metro Toronto Police
homicide investigations was stopped crossing the border at the Rainbow
Bridge in Niagara Falls Friday night.

Tan Tieu Hong of Glebemount Avenue was returned to Toronto and charged
with attempted murder, pointing a firearm and the possession of an
unregistered restricted firearm.

Sergeant Robert Clarke said that while homicide detectives were looking
into the shooting death of Ge Wi Ng after a dance outside the St. Lawrence
Market on July 30, they learned "of an unreported attempted murder" on
July 22.

He said that "although the victim of this occurrence is not the murder
victim, this incident precipitated the murder of Ge Wi Ng the following
week."

The homicide officers added that the "identity of the victims" in the
charges against Mr. Hong will not be released. He will appear in Old City
Hall courtroom today on the charges.

Police said Mr. Hong was spotted by U.S. Border Patrol officers as a
car in which he was a passsenger tried to cross the Rainbow Bridge. He
surrendered without a struggle and was not armed.

Meanwhile, homicide officers are still looking for a 17-year-old youth
on a charge of second-degree murder in connection with the Ge Wi Ng
shooting.

Normally his identity would not be revealed under the Young Offenders
Act, but late Friday a court order was obtained from a Family Court judge
authorizing the release of the identity and photograph of him for a 48-
hour period, which ended yesterday afternoon.

The authorization was granted after homicide officers convinced the
court that the youth was dangerous.

Last Wednesday, Metro Police arrested and charged Chi Thanh Nguy, also
known as Sun Ma Jai, of Chalkfarm Drive in Downsview, with second-degree
murder in connection with the Ge Wi Ng shooting.

Tan Tieu Hong has very similar facial features to the UID, when I imagine his head tilted to the front. The bulb on the tip of his nose, and the corners of his mouth, which seem to naturally curve downward and the position of his cheek bones are very close. There's nothing which is really 'out of place' between the two faces.
I wonder if Hong made bail? I'm guessing he did since he's still wanted and since he was apprehended trying to enter the US there's no reason to think he didn't flee there.
What if the waiter Hong had attacked had had friends or relatives involved in The Flying Dragons gang and they'd tracked him down and shot him in the men's room, placing gloves on his hands so that there would be no fingerprints on the gun and therefore no real way to know if it really was a fact that he had shot himself?
Placing an odd, cryptic note of that kind into his pocket might also have been a method of throwing doubt onto this element of the crime and be a method for the disguising of this murder.
Throwing the kind of doubt onto a murder which makes it seem like the suicide of someone mentally deranged would serve to protect the murderers quite well, since no one would be looking for them.

From the Globe and Mail article, it sounds like Tan Tieu Hong had a criminal record years prior to the shooting of the waiter in 1994. Do you have a link to the original article? Maybe there are more in the same site that discuss his earlier (1988) attempted murder charge? I would guess that it was somehow dismissed because a few years later, he was free to shoot someone else? A few days ago, I did multiple internet searches and couldn't locate anything about Tan Tiew Hong other than what is on the RCMP website.

I was looking at Wook Kim as a match for him. Wook's height is clearly an estimate (5'4-5'8) and UID's is 5'9. His picture is blurry and he's looking down. Maybe if he grew some facial hair and cut his hair...IDK. He would be 23/24 at the time of UID's death and it doesn't sound as if he was murdered.

Also Wook is noted as being very quiet, and the suicide note sounds as if he was a loner who depended on things like music, instead of other people. Just an observation.

Also Wook is noted as being very quiet, and the suicide note sounds as if he was a loner who depended on things like music, instead of other people. Just an observation.

Pardon me for asking - but how can it be inferred he was a loner who had a strong affinity for music based solely on that note? That's quite a stretch. We have no idea what this man was thinking when he wrote the note, or if it was even written by him at all. It's unclear if it is even a suicide note. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread it might have just been a song lyric or a phrase he jotted down. Perhaps it has no concrete meaning or relevance to his death. Just my two cents.

I think the Dragons, whoever they are, have read a lot of Agatha Christie novels. How weird.

Pardon me for asking - but how can it be inferred he was a loner who had a strong affinity for music based solely on that note? That's quite a stretch. We have no idea what this man was thinking when he wrote the note, or if it was even written by him at all. It's unclear if it is even a suicide note. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread it might have just been a song lyric or a phrase he jotted down. Perhaps it has no concrete meaning or relevance to his death. Just my two cents.

It was just an observation...they say that true character comes out during death. A lot of suicide notes discuss family/romance, but he talks about his music or the "dragons", seems those were his final thoughts. Unless of course it was not written by him.

I know it could've been a gift or something but maybe he has some sort of connection to Florida because of his sweater "Palm Beach, USA". He could've also just visited. Sorry if already mentioned. I really think it was a gang hit, also. He definitely seems to be a darker complexion asian to me. I knew an asian guy in NY who was gang affiliated and he had a strict family so he was ultra discreet about it. You'd never know. Seems like he has bold eyebrows, that is something significant facially for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back