PA PA - Philadelphia, BlkMale, 25-40, UP16981, found in river, green-brown high heeled shoes, June'73

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
NamUs #UP16981

Demographics
Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: Black / African American
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years): 25-40
Estimated Year of Death: 1973
Estimated PMI: Days
Height: 5'9" (69 inches), Measured
Weight: 140 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: June 20, 1973
NamUs Case Created: September 3, 2017
ME/C QA Reviewed: N/A
Location Found: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
County: Philadelphia County
Circumstances of Recovery: Unknown male found floating in the Delaware River. DNA submitted to FBI and entered into CODIS, as well as Latent prints done by FBI.
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair Color: Black
Head Hair Description: Curly
Facial Hair Description: Recently shaved
Eye Color: Brown
Distinctive Physical Features: Circumcised

Clothing and Accessories
- Brown check pants, green long sleeved shirt (On the Body)
- Green-brown high heeled shoes, size 10 (On the Body)

If the Doe was found with high heels, this kinda tells me that the Doe could have been trans, queer, or a drag performer. I know the ballroom scene in Philly was big among LGBTQIA+ Black folks back in the day, maybe that could be a starting point?

If the Doe was found with high heels, this kinda tells me that the Doe could have been trans, queer, or a drag performer. I know the ballroom scene in Philly was big among LGBTQIA+ Black folks back in the day, maybe that could be a starting point?
I wonder if the Doe was wearing platform shoes?
They were popular with the disco set and Philadelphia was the home of the "Philadelphia sound" and some of the first disco hits!

platform-flagg-bros-shoes.png

Last edited:
I wonder if the Doe was wearing platform shoes?
They were popular with the disco set and Philadelphia was the home of the "Philadelphia sound" and some of the first disco hits!

platform-flagg-bros-shoes.png
I agree. It was the 70s. Men (straight and cis) wore all sorts of stuff that wont fly today outside the queer fashion market (and even that one is fairly tame, a bit genderfluid, a bit leather but thats about it).

I agree. It was the 70s. Men (straight and cis) wore all sorts of stuff that wont fly today outside the queer fashion market (and even that one is fairly tame, a bit genderfluid, a bit leather but thats about it).
I think it got started in the movies. (Movies like Super Fly etc)
Pretty soon catalogs were selling these outfits.

I think it was a good marketing strategy,. Fashion marketing for black men was pretty much non-existent before the late 1960's. As one sees today, it is still a lucrative market.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd