Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 #3 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
I am new here and did a search for this case and couldn't find anything...forgive me if there is a reference here and I couldn't find it.

Anyone familiar with this case?

The website (listed below) has soooooo much information, it took me a couple of days to read it all!

Here is a link to the website http://americasunknownchild.net

___

Thread #1
Thread #2

ADMIN NOTE:

Do NOT post names and information about individuals and their family members and addresses unless you are 110% sure it is the same individual. To speculate on random people just because they have the same name is inappropriate.

That type of sleuthing can be done behind the scenes or by members within a private conversation but is not to be posted on a public thread.

Thank you.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

There is a reason why Websleuths only allows official images and those created by credentialed forensic artists. There is absolutely nothing personal about that decision. We are not mean, crazy, or totally out to lunch ;)

We can have numerous members all doing great looking renderings, but if all those people are allowed to post their own unique interpretation, we could end up with 5, 10, 15 unique but varying representations that influence thousands of members and guests, and no real idea what the UID really looks like.

On another note, contacting family members is not condoned by Websleuths. Can you imagine all the websites on the internet that discuss missing and unidentified people, and X members from each site contacting family?

Well, that other thread turned into a mess lol. Personally, I don't think the bio parents (whoever you believe them to be) really had anything to do with Joseph's death. Think about cases like Georgia's "Dennis" from 1999, if LE knows it's the parents they have no qualms about just releasing their name. You wouldn't release the name of someone who's innocent? I still believe M. Wish one of the reporters asked about that tip.

My theory is that Joseph was born out of wedlock and put up for adoption. Hence LE's using bio parents and saying that he had siblings on both sides. The bio parents likely went on to have other families. I don't believe they, whoever, they were, were involved in Joseph's death. As far as not alerting LE at the time, if he was given up as an infant, it would be unlikely that they would have even recognized him as their child. The father may not have even known about him.

People looking at genealogical information might want to remember that a birth certificate in 1953 with an unmarried mother could name the child with the mother's maiden name. People shouldn't so quickly assume the name of the father is the same as the surname given for the child.

From the 65-Year Mystery Solved as Philly Cops Finally Identify Murdered ‘Boy in the Box’

“Joseph has a number of siblings on both the mother’s and father’s side who are living and it is out of respect for them that their parents’ information remain confidential,” said Smith.”

“The organization was able to pair DNA taken from the boy’s exhumed body and find a list of potential relatives.

From there, Smith said cops were able to dig up Zarelli’s birth certificate—the only trace of his existence.”

"Police said during a Thursday morning press conference that they will not be identifying the boy's parents at this time out of respect for Zarelli's siblings, some of whom are still alive."

Totally understandable,imo

'Boy in the Box' Joseph Augustus Zarelli has living siblings 60 years later
I think this bears repeating here for the sake of TOS, and out of respect for little Joseph's living siblings.

"Police said during a Thursday morning press conference that they will not be identifying the boy's parents at this time out of respect for Zarelli's siblings, some of whom are still alive."

My aunt got pregnant when she was unmarried, and she gave the baby to my grandfather's brother and SIL to raise. To my knowledge, there was no official adoption paperwork. This was in the early 60s.

I really don't know why everybody keeps focusing so closely on the male Zarellis as potential fathers. If a child is born in 1953 to parents who are not married, it is very likely that his birth certificate will name the father but his surname will be the same as his mother.

My aunt got pregnant when she was unmarried, and she gave the baby to my grandfather's brother and SIL to raise. To my knowledge, there was no official adoption paperwork. This was in the early 60s.
A similar situation happened in my family, although way back in the 1920’s. A great uncle was raised by his grandma, as her child as far as anyone but her and her daughter (his bio mom) knew. No formal adoption. Had the same last name anyway since it was out of wedlock. No one knew a darn thing otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆