Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

A few things I have picked up by reading all the pages in the last thread:
J's hair had been long. It was shaved so as to hide his identity with some of it still stuck to his body.
The box was already on the scene when the body was brought there. The location was full of discarded trash.

I have not heard anything about refusing to cooperate etc.
They just couldn't verify the story.
I am so curious about this. All of the MSM documentation that I have found likewise says they found her credible but were simply unable to verify.

However, posters here and elsewhere have also stated things with great confidence such as: M had a changing story, they were inconsistencies in M’s story, or that she tried to insinuate herself into other cases.

If these allegations about M and her account are documented and published it would go a long way toward allowing us to rule M’s parents out as suspects and focus on other scenarios. The other thing I can’t seem to find is MSM documentation about the neighbors in Lower Merion being interviewed and stating they did not believe there was a young boy in the house. I am so on the fence about M and the possible validity of her account. It would help so much if we could fill in some of these details!

I will keep searching for this information and post it if I find any of it, I would love it if some other sleuths do the same! Also want to thank @J. J. in Phila for all your local and historical information! There could be a tiny clue in the historical record that seems unrelated that spurs an older adult’s memory or establishes a link that could be really valuable.

Edited for some typos, and to clarify that I don’t disbelieve M, I just feel like we need a lot more detailed info to decide whether her account is something to keep taking seriously or not.

Last edited:
J's hair had been long. It was shaved so as to hide his identity with some of it still stuck to his body.
The box was already on the scene when the body was brought there. The location was full of discarded trash.

I don't think that we know for sure that the box was already there when JAZ was left there. LE did explore where the box originated, so at least at the time they thought he was transported there in the box.

My theory is that he was placed in the box to make transport easier, so the box arrived at the site with JAZ already inside.

Is there proof that the box was already on the scene?

MOO: The box was likely brought to the scene with JAZ. The box was from a different part of town. (15 miles away) It came from a JC Penney's in Upper Darby.

It also was intact, fairly new and not "weather worn" like the rest of the trash. It was sold between 12/03/56 and 02/16/57 by the J.C. Penney store at 100 S. 69th St., Upper Darby, PA. Someone purchased that bassinette recently.

MOO: Also, most people keep large boxes like that, they usually don't discard them, especially after a short time. (This is because the boxes get re-used ) My dad kept every large box that came his way and so did we. MOO

No matter the circumstances of JAZ's birth and if he were given away or sold, why didn't the bio mother come forward? Surely, there was a tiny resemblance, a possibility he could have been hers? Wouldn't she want justice for her baby? She played a part in the cover up, if not responsible for his death, and she wasn't strong enough or cared to come forward.
The bio mother was the link in revealing his identity, I don't think we can get away from that fact. He was an abandoned soul by all who knew him in life.
Unless, she left the country and never returned, jmo.

I am so curious about this. All of the MSM documentation that I have found likewise says they found her credible but were simply unable to verify.

However, posters here and elsewhere have also stated things with great confidence such as: M had a changing story, they were inconsistencies in M’s story, or that she tried to insinuate herself into other cases.

If these allegations about M and her account are documented and published it would go a long way toward allowing us to rule M’s parents out as suspects and focus on other scenarios. The other thing I can’t seem to find is MSM documentation about the neighbors in Lower Merion being interviewed and stating they did not believe there was a young boy in the house. I am so on the fence about M and the possible validity of her account. It would help so much if we could fill in some of these details!

I will keep searching for this information and post it if I find any of it, I would love it if some other sleuths do the same! Also want to thank @J. J. in Phila for all your local and historical information! There could be a tiny clue in the historical record that seems unrelated that spurs an older adult’s memory or establishes a link that could be really valuable.

Edited for some typos, and to clarify that I don’t disbelieve M, I just feel like we need a lot more detailed info to decide whether her account is something to keep taking seriously or not.
"February 2003: The investigators reported that they have successfully tracked down and interviewed several people who used to live in the Lower Merion neighborhood where the unknown boy allegedly resided. Thus far, none of these potential witnesses have been able to confirm that a child matching the unknown boy's description lived there at that time. The search for additional former neighborhood residents continues."

"September 2004: During the past year, Vidocq Society investigators located and interviewed additional people who used to live in the Lower Merion neighborhorhood where, according to the unsubstantiated testimony of an Ohio woman, the unknown boy was secretly confined in a basement and subjected to physical and sexual abuse for two years prior to his death. Two of the former neighbors had been frequent visitors to the home, and they had access to all areas, including the basement. They flatly denied that a young boy lived there. A female neighbor who had been a close friend of the family and attended the same church, said that she was astonished to learn of the false accusations being made against them. She stated that the Ohio woman's allegations are "preposterous." The Vidocq Society investigators believe they have now exhausted all investigative options relative to the Ohio lead. Sadly, what had initially appeared to be the most significant breakthrough in the long history of this investigation, has ultimately turned out to be just another frustrating dead end."

Wikipedia touches on this lady's statements too and it sounds like they were always a bit skeptical since she had a history of mental illness. She also came out with this statement in 2002. I was reading an article in the website above from 1957 and they were talking about the haircut. Makes you wonder what other details were out that this lady could have taken and ran with (baked beans).

Is there proof that the box was already on the scene?

MOO: The box was likely brought to the scene with JAZ. The box was from a different part of town. (15 miles away) It came from a JC Penney's in Upper Darby.

It also was intact, fairly new and not "weather worn" like the rest of the trash. It was sold between 12/03/56 and 02/16/57 by the J.C. Penney store at 100 S. 69th St., Upper Darby, PA. Someone purchased that bassinette recently.

MOO: Also, most people keep large boxes like that, they usually don't discard them, especially after a short time. (This is because the boxes get re-used ) My dad kept every large box that came his way and so did we. MOO

I agree with all of this and I’m leaning that way as well, however I also think it’s important to remember that people from exurban areas did used to go to more downtown areas to shop for large or expensive items in the 1950s. So the murderer could be from the Fox Chase area, and just had that box in their home from a bassinet they had gone to Philadelphia to purchase. Could it also be trash from the unwed mothers home that was right across the street? Makes sense they would buy a bassinet—many bassinets most likely—and perhaps toss the box across the way, although I would hope investigators would have looked into that possible connection at the time.

I recall reading about this years ago and wondering if our boy Joseph was being raised to appear as though he were a girl, with long hair. Even what they called "greaser" styles back in the 50's were only longer on top (think of Elvis, or John Travolta in Grease) but little boys didn't get their hair cut that way and they also didn't wear it long, like some little boys do now. I know it might sound a little "out there" but it wouldn't be the first time an abusive mother did this.

I'm starting to wonder if bio mom and dad were married outside of the country, and JAZ is legitimate (excuse the outdated term). Is it confirmed that JAZ's birth certificate was issued in PA?
Considering the only official record that exists is his birth certificate and the investigators had a specific address in Philly (61st and Market?), I think its likely he was born in Pennsylvania and the west Philadelphia address they cited was listed on his birth certificate as the address of at least one of his parents.

Almost all of the MSM info is here.

The house M and her mom lived at in 1957, was in another county, so you have jurisdiction issues, so I suspect there was bit of that going on.

In reference to Joseph’s hair, if he was kept in horrible conditions and his hair was not kept that could have been reason to cut it. Was it not said that he had been bathed- fingers wrinkled?

I am baffles by the bruises on the front of his legs.

Jmo

In reference to Joseph’s hair, if he was kept in horrible conditions and his hair was not kept that could have been reason to cut it. Was it not said that he had been bathed- fingers wrinkled?

I am baffles by the bruises on the front of his legs.

Jmo
One of his hands and the bottoms of his feet were wrinkled. According to the America's Unknown Child website, they theorized that the bruises on his forehead were from someone forcefully holding his head still while they cut his hair. Does that mean he was alive when his hair was cut?

ETA: By "they" I mean the ME. Also, answering my own question, it must mean he was alive because he would have held his head still if he was dead. If that's truly what those forehead bruises are from.

Last edited:
No matter the circumstances of JAZ's birth and if he were given away or sold, why didn't the bio mother come forward? Surely, there was a tiny resemblance, a possibility he could have been hers? Wouldn't she want justice for her baby? She played a part in the cover up, if not responsible for his death, and she wasn't strong enough or cared to come forward.
The bio mother was the link in revealing his identity, I don't think we can get away from that fact. He was an abandoned soul by all who knew him in life.
It could be that...she was dead.

It could be that...she was told that her baby was dead.

It could be that...she was told her baby was adopted out to a family in Virginia or New York or anywhere else.

It could be that...she never saw the photos of him post-mortem, or the reconstructed photos.

It could be that...he did have a syndrome of some sort, that affected his appearance and masked any potentially familiar features.

It could be that...he didn't really take after any of her family members, or bio dad, in appearance, or she would have imagined her baby to have darker features, or, or, or.

Many reasons for bio mom to not have come forward. If he was removed from the care of his bio mom at or shortly after birth, no matter how it happened, I don't see how anyone could assign any blame to her. All MOO.

Good questions.
Some possible reasons bio mom never came forward:

- She was threatened (and similarly assaulted) by whoever put him there
- She was the one who put him there
- She was underage
- He was taken from her (or given up willingly) as a baby and she didn't recognize him at all, from the pictures she saw in the papers

Those are just off the top of my head. In addition to the idea that women (of any age, really) didn't have the confidence in that day, that they'd be taken serious or believed, as much as we do today. It was a much, much different world. So even if she did know that was her baby boy, whoever did that to him might have also been doing the same to her. If that was the case, there would be no way she'd come forward, especially if maybe there was another baby at home? Just some other possibilities.

I agree with all of this and I’m leaning that way as well, however I also think it’s important to remember that people from exurban areas did used to go to more downtown areas to shop for large or expensive items in the 1950s. So the murderer could be from the Fox Chase area, and just had that box in their home from a bassinet they had gone to Philadelphia to purchase. Could it also be trash from the unwed mothers home that was right across the street? Makes sense they would buy a bassinet—many bassinets most likely—and perhaps toss the box across the way, although I would hope investigators would have looked into that possible connection at the time.
Fox Chase probably had numerous JC Penney's close by. They would have had to go to the other side of Philadelphia to shop in Upper Darby which was also another suburb of Philadelphia. JC Penney's used to be everywhere in the 1950's. They were kinda like WalMart. They had alot of small stores.

Fox Chase probably had numerous JC Penney's close by. They would have had to go to the other side of Philadelphia to shop in Upper Darby which was also another suburb of Philadelphia. JC Penney's used to be everywhere in the 1950's. They were kinda like WalMart. They had alot of small stores.
The bassinet wasn't necessarily bought by the person who killed Joseph...even if we assume that they brought the box with them and it wasn't already at the crime scene, the bassinet could have been given to them by someone else, maybe as a gift. It's been so many years that I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the box.

The bassinet wasn't necessarily bought by the person who killed Joseph...even if we assume that they brought the box with them and it wasn't already at the crime scene, the bassinet could have been given to them by someone else, maybe as a gift. It's been so many years that I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the box.
Yes, a gift is always a possibility.

The area that Joseph was found was used as an unofficial dumping ground back then, so it’s also possible that he was brought there with the intention of just leaving him or burying him in a shallow grave, but the box was already there so they put him in it instead.

In my opinion, the “ bath” and haircut and nail clipping was the mother attempting to clean up her child to make him look presentable ( in her mind) when found. He was truly neglected so no hair cuts, not fed much, etc and beat in life so her doing this was probably some reach to show some care for him and ease her guilt. I do think a step dad or boyfriend used Joseph as a punching bag and he was abused by both mother and her husband or boyfriend but the majority of the physical abuse came from the male.

It could be that...she was dead.

It could be that...she was told that her baby was dead.

It could be that...she was told her baby was adopted out to a family in Virginia or New York or anywhere else.

It could be that...she never saw the photos of him post-mortem, or the reconstructed photos.

It could be that...he did have a syndrome of some sort, that affected his appearance and masked any potentially familiar features.

It could be that...he didn't really take after any of her family members, or bio dad, in appearance, or she would have imagined her baby to have darker features, or, or, or.

Many reasons for bio mom to not have come forward. If he was removed from the care of his bio mom at or shortly after birth, no matter how it happened, I don't see how anyone could assign any blame to her. All MOO.
I agree, any of those theories could be a possibility, but imo, she still can't be removed from the picture until all those are answered, especially if he were given up as a toddler or older.

Good questions.
Some possible reasons bio mom never came forward:

- She was threatened (and similarly assaulted) by whoever put him there
- She was the one who put him there
- She was underage
- He was taken from her (or given up willingly) as a baby and she didn't recognize him at all, from the pictures she saw in the papers

Those are just off the top of my head. In addition to the idea that women (of any age, really) didn't have the confidence in that day, that they'd be taken serious or believed, as much as we do today. It was a much, much different world. So even if she did know that was her baby boy, whoever did that to him might have also been doing the same to her. If that was the case, there would be no way she'd come forward, especially if maybe there was another baby at home? Just some other possibilities.
Those are good theories and imo, the answer is there.
I agree, women had it so difficult back then, the ideal family represented the 1950s, and unwed mother's brought shame upon the family. :(
I had previously thought he was a home birth, unregistered, and the mother powerless, this new information opened my mind up to other possibilities.
He might have been kept within the family and hidden due to shame of his birth, he was unwanted and his mistreatment led to his death.
Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back