Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it is him. They also announced the solve as an "unsolved mystery" on social media. But can be anyone, the Mad Trapper or any other case theyre at
On the Websleuths YouTube channel last night, it was stated that it was a really huge case from the 1950s. It's what makes me think it could be the Boy In The Box case.

Looks like.
Man, am I excited!
I wonder if the M story was a dud or true

I’ve always believed M. I think she was largely dismissed due to mental health issues. The stomach contents and water-shriveled fingers match up. The neighbors said the idea of a child living there was ridiculous but…it’s not that hard to hide a child’s existence, unfortunately. JMO.

I’ve always believed M. I think she was largely dismissed due to mental health issues. The stomach contents and water-shriveled fingers match up. The neighbors said the idea of a child living there was ridiculous but…it’s not that hard to hide a child’s existence, unfortunately. JMO.

I fully agree. I’ve always believed her too. She was pretty much doxed a while back and she seems to be a respectable woman with no reason to lie.

Agreed! I've been saying this for years.

What is the "M story"? I've not heard of it.
America’s Unknown Child Still Unidentified - Can You Help? | Josie Klakström | NewsBreak Original
''A woman named Martha

In February 2002, a woman came forward claiming to know the identity of the boy. She told police that her mother had bought the boy in 1954, and his name was Jonathan. She claimed that the boy had been sexually and physically abused during his two and a half years with the family, which eventually came to a head one evening over dinner.''

''Police tried to verify Martha’s story but the neighbours who lived next door to the family didn’t recall ever seeing a young boy at the property and told police that Martha had a history of mental illness, which was verified by medical reports. The investigation into the family went no further''.

America’s Unknown Child Still Unidentified - Can You Help? | Josie Klakström | NewsBreak Original
''A woman named Martha

In February 2002, a woman came forward claiming to know the identity of the boy. She told police that her mother had bought the boy in 1954, and his name was Jonathan. She claimed that the boy had been sexually and physically abused during his two and a half years with the family, which eventually came to a head one evening over dinner.''

''Police tried to verify Martha’s story but the neighbours who lived next door to the family didn’t recall ever seeing a young boy at the property and told police that Martha had a history of mental illness, which was verified by medical reports. The investigation into the family went no further''.

Well, if she grew up in that kind of family, it's no wonder she had mental issues. Who knows what sorts of trauma she may have endured.

If his biological family is identified, I wonder how difficult it will be to prove what happened to him after birth. Could M's story be true but difficult to prove?

I’m worried about this too. If Martha is correct, “Jonathan” may have been a new name her mother gave him.

The boy would be approaching 70 if he was alive today. Even if there were any family members aware of what happened to him and willing to talk about it, most of his family would be dead.

If his biological family is identified, I wonder how difficult it will be to prove what happened to him after birth. Could M's story be true but difficult to prove?

I think it will be difficult to prove simply because of time and because potential witnesses are dead and documents (like M’s psychiatrist’s notes) are gone. Anyone know if M is still alive? Her age puts her at risk of covid. Wouldn’t it be something if the bio mother was still alive? It’s possible, especially if the bio mother was still a child herself. JMO.

I think it will be difficult to prove simply because of time and because potential witnesses are dead and documents (like M’s psychiatrist’s notes) are gone. Anyone know if M is still alive? Her age puts her at risk of covid. Wouldn’t it be something if the bio mother was still alive? It’s possible, especially if the bio mother was still a child herself. JMO.
Unfortunately, she passed away in 2020. If her story is true (and I believe it is personally), I wish she could have been alive to get some answers and some semblance of closure for what her family put them through.

Does anyone notice his head shape?

To me, it appears he was confined to a crib for months and he may have had a developmental delay in which he could not lift his head by the normal age.

Or he could have been heavily bound as a neonate for months.

Either way, head deformities like these usually occur before the fontanels close. They occur due to lack of mobility.

They are fairly common in premies, but fortunately are usually temporary because the child becomes mobile enough before the sutures close.

I think this poor kid was abused and hidden from the beginning. I can't see him "passing" as a girl. He may have had long hair, but it was probably due to neglect...

MOO

To me, it appears he was confined to a crib for months and he may have had a developmental delay in which he could not lift his head by the normal age.

Either way, head deformities like these usually occur before the fontanels close. They occur due to lack of mobility.

They are fairly common in premies, but fortunately are usually temporary because the child becomes mobile enough before the sutures close.

I think this poor kid was abused and hidden from the beginning. I can't see him "passing" as a girl. He may have had long hair, but it was probably due to neglect...

MOO
Now that you mention it! Think you’re right!
It does flattens the head,if you don’t turn a baby’s head ,while they are asleep.
After every midnightfeeding,I always did.Also took the advice to lay them on their stomach,so to strengthen their necks by lifting their heads up.
Only used the maxi cosy for travels

Last edited:

MOO

It wasn’t just the possibility of long hair that made Frank Bender theorize he was raised as a girl: the eyebrows appeared styled. Boy in the Box (Philadelphia) - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa