Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57 #2 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we could hear more. I hope there's an update soon. Sounds like there's something there?

RSBM

Maybe PM a mod and ask if you can put up the timestamped video. We are no longer allowed to post unapproved videos.

It was nothing but a blurt, "Oh boy in the box", nothing else more was said.
Kinda like they maybe, might have something. This was back in October, so I take it with a grain of salt.

I personally think the boy had developmental issues and his parents abused him. It makes me think of those cases where parents tie up their kids in the backyard. JMO
His head shape also looks like an abused kid. (Took care of premies in a previous life. He has the head shape of a kid who was bedridden for years)

So if he was abused by his parents, maybe LE is keeping it quiet to protect other siblings..jmo

Last edited:
I read that the info that M provided was already known to the public and that is why she was not taken seriously.

Everything I’ve read claims that she provided at least two details that were not made public at the time - the baked beans and wrinkled fingers - and wasn’t taken seriously due to a mental health condition.

“One evening at dinner, the boy vomited up his meal of baked beans and was given a severe beating, with his head slammed against the floor until he was semiconscious. He was given a bath, during which he died. These details matched information known only to the police, as the coroner had found that the boy's stomach contained the remains of baked beans and that his fingers were water-wrinkled.” Boy in the Box (Philadelphia) - Wikipedia

Who is the Boy in the Box? (Part Two) - Philadelphia Magazine

Brings to mind the infamous Georgia Tann who died in 1950 but whose Home and crew reamined in palce until the late 50s sending kids out accross the country. She's just one of the worst, but far from alone in the genre of sketchy adoptions/kidnappings/sexual abuse of girls & boys she'd managed to "acquire"/murders of kidnapped kids who had 'defects' etc.
How a Woman Stole 5,000 Babies and Made Money Off Their Adoptions (insider.com)

Googled "kids for sale" and am creeped by the depression era photo popping up in images.

Just confirms for me that desperate people do desperate things, so "black market" babies doesn't surprise me as being factual. Tann's babies were certainly not legal adoptions having been kidnapped children.
OMG @Vern . I just read the story on the link. What a heartbreaking article. For anyone who wishes to read it ,
be prepared for some shocking revelations about what went on. This was in Tennessee btw. JMO MOO

Does anyone know if Ms Suzanne is OK? She used to post on this and a few other threads frequently and now it seems she hasn't posted in a long time.
Hi Thank You and the others for asking about me. You all are sweet. I have been having health problems and I do mostly write on my facebook pages because it is all in one place. I will never forget this sweet little boy ever. He will be in my heart forever and I pray he is Identified very soon. Just like the other little ones being Identified now. It is wonderful they are being Identified and I pray this little boy gets the same honor and his real name on his grave stone too.

Last edited:
Hi Thank You and the others for asking about me. You all are sweet. I have been having health problems and I do mostly write on my facebook pages because it is all in one place. I will never forget this sweet little boy ever. He will be in my heart forever and I pray he is Identified very soon. Just like the other little ones being Identified now. It is wonderful they are being Identified and I pray this little boy gets the same honor and his real name on his grave stone too.

Glad you are ok! Sorry your having health issues. I know from reading over the years that this is a case that means a lot to you, hopefully it's solved soon

OMG @Vern . I just read the story on the link. What a heartbreaking article. For anyone who wishes to read it ,
be prepared for some shocking revelations about what went on. This was in Tennessee btw. JMO MOO

There were a ton of similar rackets; the Irish Roman Catholic Church ran one too, where they'd basically imprison unmarried pregnant women and force them to work in laundries, and adopt the surviving children out to Americans. In hindsight I don't think this child is one of those adoptees, but let's not kid ourselves: the history of adoption isn't as sparkly clean as we would like.

I an unsure if this has been mentioned before. If the boy's birth was recorded, but not his death, it suddenly got me thinking. Since he was the right age, his family (or caretakers) may have eventually have received a summons for Vietnam.

The idea came to me after re-reading an account from a three-year-old boy killed through neglect in West Germany in the 1960s, but whose family did not report the death. The West German authorities, unaware of the death, said that the boy had to sign up for military service, at which point the parents lied and told them that the boy had fled to East Germany. They also told the school that the boy should have gone to that he was too disabled to attend (which would have been true).

If we could somehow look for men who were supposed to sign up for the army between roughly 1968 and 1971, presumably from the Philadelphia area, but did not for some reason, we might find something. It's a long shot, but I think it's worth looking into.

I an unsure if this has been mentioned before. If the boy's birth was recorded, but not his death, it suddenly got me thinking. Since he was the right age, his family (or caretakers) may have eventually have received a summons for Vietnam.

The idea came to me after re-reading an account from a three-year-old boy killed through neglect in West Germany in the 1960s, but whose family did not report the death. The West German authorities, unaware of the death, said that the boy had to sign up for military service, at which point the parents lied and told them that the boy had fled to East Germany. They also told the school that the boy should have gone to that he was too disabled to attend (which would have been true).

If we could somehow look for men who were supposed to sign up for the army between roughly 1968 and 1971, presumably from the Philadelphia area, but did not for some reason, we might find something. It's a long shot, but I think it's worth looking into.

I don't think they kept records of people who hadn't registered. They probably only kept records of those who registered. Not everyone registered either. It didn't mean they were dead. Currently it works like this. If you apply for financial aid etc, they will check to see if you are registered. I believe all college admissions were required to register back then etc. However, if are someone who lives "under the radar", etc, then you could get away without registering. (Kinda like driving without a license. No one knows unless you get stopped etc)

What Happens If You Don’t Register for Selective Service

If you are required to register and you do not, you will not be eligible for state-based student aid in many states, federal job training, or a federal job. You may be prosecuted and face a fine of up to $250,000 and jail time of up to five years. If you’re an immigrant to the U.S., you will not be eligible for citizenship.

If you never registered and are being denied federal or state benefits, you may still be able to get them. To do so, you must provide evidence that you did not intentionally avoid registering

I don't think they kept records of people who hadn't registered. They probably only kept records of those who registered. Not everyone registered either. It didn't mean they were dead. Currently it works like this. If you apply for financial aid etc, they will check to see if you are registered. I believe all college admissions were required to register back then etc. However, if are someone who lives "under the radar", etc, then you could get away without registering. (Kinda like driving without a license. No one knows unless you get stopped etc)

What Happens If You Don’t Register for Selective Service

If you are required to register and you do not, you will not be eligible for state-based student aid in many states, federal job training, or a federal job. You may be prosecuted and face a fine of up to $250,000 and jail time of up to five years. If you’re an immigrant to the U.S., you will not be eligible for citizenship.

If you never registered and are being denied federal or state benefits, you may still be able to get them. To do so, you must provide evidence that you did not intentionally avoid registering
Sorry about that. I think things worked differently in Germany.

Everything I’ve read claims that she provided at least two details that were not made public at the time - the baked beans and wrinkled fingers - and wasn’t taken seriously due to a mental health condition.

“One evening at dinner, the boy vomited up his meal of baked beans and was given a severe beating, with his head slammed against the floor until he was semiconscious. He was given a bath, during which he died. These details matched information known only to the police, as the coroner had found that the boy's stomach contained the remains of baked beans and that his fingers were water-wrinkled.” Boy in the Box (Philadelphia) - Wikipedia

Who is the Boy in the Box? (Part Two) - Philadelphia Magazine
Yes, the M theory definitely makes the most sense! I hope they discover “Jonathan’s” real, true name soon.

There's something weird about the father's name on the death certificate. It looks like originally, it was written as Richard (can't read initial) Nagle. Then Richard was crossed out, Harry was placed in front of it and an M was written over the unknown initial.
Not sure if that means anything, but figured it was weird enough to point out.
That almost looks like it was a "D"

There's something weird about the father's name on the death certificate. It looks like originally, it was written as Richard (can't read initial) Nagle. Then Richard was crossed out, Harry was placed in front of it and an M was written over the unknown initial.
Not sure if that means anything, but figured it was weird enough to point out.
That almost looks like it was a "D"

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

There is a reason why Websleuths only allows official images and those created by credentialed forensic artists. There is absolutely nothing personal about that decision. We are not mean, crazy, or totally out to lunch ;)

We can have numerous members all doing great looking renderings, but if all those people are allowed to post their own unique interpretation, we could end up with 5, 10, 15 unique but varying representations that influence thousands of members and guests, and no real idea what the UID really looks like.

On another note, contacting family members is not condoned by Websleuths. Can you imagine all the websites on the internet that discuss missing and unidentified people, and X members from each site contacting family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288