Identified! PA - Philadelphia, 'Boy in the Box', WhtMale 4-6, 4UMPA, Feb'57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want this little boy in the box identified and his real name on his gravestone.He deserved this a long time ago.I will never forget about him.

[video=youtube;LImoCjRjpfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LImoCjRjpfQ&feature=share[/video]

One of the most moving videos of an identified person I have ever seen.
It was heart-warming and reassuring to see all those good men laying that child to rest with all the dignity that he deserved.
Simple, with facts, photographs and appropriate music, it touched my soul.

I believe it was also 1957 on the site they have a date of 8/17/57 from the Philadelphia Inquirer (oh NeverMind I just saw it was answered above!! sorry)

http://www.americasunknownchild.net/Archives5Text.html#fourq
they also mention this missing woman and her kids but never hear anything after if they were found or not.. its kind of funny.. like ok its not the boy in the box move along next missing person...and they even have photos of the people missing

Homicide detectives have a fresh and exciting interest today in the case of the murdered boy of Fox Chase. A father came to police with a story that there is a chance the dead boy is his long-missing son.
Harold Sanders, 31, of Dover, Del., had a son who was fair, thin, about the age of the child found battered to death in a cardboard box at Verree and Susquehanna rds. Last February.
The father thus revived a search for his missing family-wife, two daughters, and a son. The father learned only recently about the murder, that the Fox Chase boy had not been identified.
Homicide Lieutenant David Brown said, "Even if it was not the Sanders boy, we are working on the strangest disappearance case in Philadelphia police records."
Missing without a trace are Mrs. Jean Sanders, 32, her daughters, Bonnie, 9, and Carol, 7, and son, John, more than 4, if still alive.

Whatever became of the disappearance of the Sanders family? I couldn't find a thread on them.

Whatever became of the disappearance of the Sanders family? I couldn't find a thread on them.

ive googled like crazy, I cant find anything so likely she ran off with the kids or something, because I found nothing , of course who knows if they were really missing if they filed a report even , things were very different back then.

Thanks for sharing this link. There's a lot of detail in that book, including one I'd never read before - that our boy's throat was coated in an unidentified dark substance. I'm surprised they never figured out what it was. I assume they must have ruled out poisonous chemicals through toxicology tests as something that contributed to his death, but I don't know what technology there was for such testing in 1957.

The darkened throat was referenced in a passage from this book, also mentioned is the little boy's eye, which appeared to be a metallic blue under an ultraviolet light.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=mo...epage&q=dark substance in throat 1957&f=false

Yes, I just saw that when I clicked on the first link given to the same book. I'm just surprised to learn about the throat. I knew about the eye (I think it's mentioned on the Vidocq website for the boy), but the throat is new info to me.

Never heard of an eye becoming metallic blue under ultraviolet light. Wonder what could cause that? Anyone know?

Yes, I just saw that when I clicked on the first link given to the same book. I'm just surprised to learn about the throat. I knew about the eye (I think it's mentioned on the Vidocq website for the boy), but the throat is new info to me.

ETA
The darkened throat was referenced in a passage from the same book, also mentioned is the little boy's eye, which appeared to be a metallic blue when exposed to ultraviolet light.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=moaOUiOFg1IC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=dark+sub stance+in+throat+1957&source=bl&ots=95T9WY6xu4&sig =2ZDysWfqu5giSdCGbzoWuwMqh_A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKE wjk056H28XTAhWi14MKHakhAMYQ6AEINDAD#v=onepage&q=da rk%20substance%20in%20throat%201957&f=false
Unsolved Crimes

By Michael Newton, John L. French

I think they can use medical dyes to determine whether there has been damage to the cornea of the eye. It seems like such a specific kind of test to do on a young child, especially for the era. He had other surgical scars as well. Without knowing the truth of his background...to me, it's always seemed like he had relatively good care in life up until a point, and then things went really bad for some reason.

Could be ( probably ) waay off here, but might there have been exposure to a compound, calcite? found in Texas?speculation.
http://www.minerals.net/resource/property/fluorescence_phosphoresence.aspx
Minerals that exhibit fluorescence are known as "fluorescent minerals". Fluorescent minerals contain particles in their structure known as activators, which respond to ultraviolet light by giving off a visible glow.
Phosphorescence is a phenomenon exhibited in several fluorescent minerals where the mineral continues to glow even after the UV light source has been removed. The glow slowly fades, and after several seconds (or minutes in a few cases) is no longer visible to the eye. Only few minerals phosphoresce; phosphorescence is only noted as interesting mineral property, rarely as a diagnostic identification property. Certain mineral specimens from specific localities all phosphoresce. Calcite specimens from Terlingua, Texas fluoresce bluish-white with a strong phosphorescence.
rbbm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcite
[h=2]Use and applications[/h]High-grade optical calcite was used in World War II for gun sights, specifically in bomb sights and anti-aircraft weaponry.[SUP][10][/SUP] Also, experiments have been conducted to use calcite for a cloak of invisibility.[SUP][11][/SUP] Microbiologically precipitated calcite has a wide range of applications, such as soil remediation, soil stabilization and concrete repair.

I have been thinking about this for a while and never mentioned it.. But now that we are talking about the stuff that glows in the dark that was put in his eyes.. He also had signs that he had surgery at some point. Do you think its possible he was one of those little kids that were used as science experiments? I was looking and found some.. but have not found in PA as of yet

this is just an example but I know there were more.

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/resources/bioethics/timeline/

1956-1980
Saul Krugman, Joan Giles and other researchers conduct hepatitis experiments on mentally disabled children at The Willowbrook State School. They intentionally infected subjects with the disease and observed its natural progression. The experiments were approved by the New York Department of Health.

I have been thinking about this for a while and never mentioned it.. But now that we are talking about the stuff that glows in the dark that was put in his eyes.. He also had signs that he had surgery at some point. Do you think its possible he was one of those little kids that were used as science experiments? I was looking and found some.. but have not found in PA as of yet

this is just an example but I know there were more.

https://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/resources/bioethics/timeline/

1956-1980
Saul Krugman, Joan Giles and other researchers conduct hepatitis experiments on mentally disabled children at The Willowbrook State School. They intentionally infected subjects with the disease and observed its natural progression. The experiments were approved by the New York Department of Health.

I think anything is possible. In fact, you've reminded me that I just recently saw something about mentally disabled children in a facility in Pennsylvania in the same time period, who were also abused and treated badly. It's certainly possible our boy came from such a place, IMO. A quick Google search gave me Pennhurst, in Chester County, PA, not far from Philadelphia. It's definitely the place I was thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennhurst_State_School_and_Hospital

THE BOY IN THE BOX(The Fox Chase boy) - I have studied this little boys case extensively and I have looked everywhere for a long time to find out who he was.When I visited him at his grave I promised him I would not give up trying to find out his real name so we can put his name on his gravestone and I won't.I have come to 2 theorys and boys who I think he is.

1. Horsham Suspects - a mass night raid on a farm near Horsham, PA in September 1957 netted four persons who were questioned about the murder of the unidentified boy. Carried out by State, Montgomery county and Philadelphia police, the raid was made as a result of confidential information given to the Montgomery County District Attorney by an unidentified woman. The exact location of the farm and the identities of the six persons living there were not disclosed. After questioning, all of the suspects were released.

He is the little boy found in the picture at that farm.An informant had said he was living there at one time and not living there any more.

This lead is What I feel happened.This is based on my feelings only.It was my first thought.I am not usually wrong at my first thoughts.

2,Unidentified Pennsylvania Couple - In March 1957, a Manayunk, PA couple told detectives they thought the boy might be their 6-year-old son, whom they had last seen seven months earlier when he was placed in an orphanage by the Municipal Court. The mother said the boy "looks like him" and the father said he wasn't "too sure." A team of detectives later found the boy in a private orphanage in West Philadelphia.

This is where I feel my long investigation led me to.This is why.The boy in the box when he was found had an institution style hair cut.A dye was found to be put in his eye and the blankets were cut in half like they were from an institution,orphanage or foster home.The boy in the box was in ill health for almost a year. The Manuyunk Pennsylvania last saw their boy about 7 months before.I feel he possiblly got malnourished in the institution ,foster home he was put in.I feel the boy in the box was just changing care takers.There was no sexual assault on him.His bruises were all inflicted at the same time.There were no other bruises in different stages of healing.No broken bones.

The mother of the boy put in that orphanage said the boy in the box looked like her son.This really bothers me a lot.I cannot get past this.I believe her and feel the boy in the box could be her son.

I believe the boy in the Box died in a type of instution of some kind and he died getting groomed and in the middle of a hair cut and his death resulted from the actual hair cut.The more he fought getting a hair cut.The harder the person hit him to get him to obey and get a hair cut.

If I had to choose which one of these leads to look into.It would be very hard for me to decide which one.The horsham suspects and the little boy found in the picture at that farm is just my feelings I had of who he could be.very strong feelings.I am usually never wrong at these feelings.My investigation led me to the Manayunk Pennsylvania boy put in that orphanage.I need to know what West Philadelpia Orphanage he was put into.I feel DNA testing might lead to one of these boys that were early leads.I pray they please check them with DNA

So if I had to choose which boy to check I would choose the Manayunk Pennsylvania boy put n that West Philadelphia Orphange.I do belive DNA testing of these 2 boys will lead to who the boy in the box is.

Hopefully they are really doing DNA testing and it will lead to who ever he is.

Since it was suggested by Frank Bender, still keeping eyes open for missing girls. Knowing what we do now about gender identity issues, could it be possible that the young boy identified as female perhaps with a mother's help ( placate a physically ill child ).
Perhaps a father who had been away returns home and infuriated by what he sees, beats and forcibly cuts the child's hair?
imo, speculation.
http://www.ranker.com/list/facts-and-theories-about-the-boy-in-the-box/cat-mcauliffe
attachment.php

Photo: Frank Bender/America's Unknown Child Another popular theory about the Boy in the Box is that he had been raised as a girl, which is why investigators had difficulty finding out his true identity. One of the biggest proponents of this theory is Frank Bender, a forensic artist and co-founder of the Vidocqu Society, a private group of skilled professionals who are dedicated to solving crimes.

According to Bender, the reason the child's hair was cut around the time of his death was to hide the fact that he'd been raised as a girl. Bender also said pictures taken of the Boy in the Box show evidence that the child's eyebrows had been plucked before or after his death, indicating someone had altered the boy's appearance to make him appear more feminine.

In an effort to help identify the child if he had in fact been raised as a girl, Bender drew a sketch of what he thought the Boy in the Box would have looked like with long hair and bangs.

Attachments

• he-may-have-been-raised-as-a-girl-photo-u1.jpg
    he-may-have-been-raised-as-a-girl-photo-u1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 202
WOW I please need help with finding out more information on this unidentified man found in Philadelphia April 8th 1957.I'm trying to connect this to the boy in the box.I'm thinking this man may be his father or a relative.
https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/1662

I'm thinking could this unidentified man be the man and a boy an artist saw on the bus and drew the man.40 to 50 years old? From America's unknown child website.Unidentified Bus Passenger - In March 1957, a woman amateur artist identified the body in the morgue as the same boy she had seen sleeping in a man's arms on a bus running from Philadelphia to southern New Jersey. The pair had boarded the bus in Camden, she said. The woman submitted a sketch she'd made of the man, but the investigators weren't able to verify her story.
http://americasunknownchild.net/Artists.html

I'm thinking could this unidentified man be the man and a boy an artist saw on the bus and drew the man.40 to 50 years old? From America's unknown child website.Unidentified Bus Passenger - In March 1957, a woman amateur artist identified the body in the morgue as the same boy she had seen sleeping in a man's arms on a bus running from Philadelphia to southern New Jersey. The pair had boarded the bus in Camden, she said. The woman submitted a sketch she'd made of the man, but the investigators weren't able to verify her story.
http://americasunknownchild.net/Artists.html
From link.
Hypothetical bust of what the unknown boy's father may have looked like, by forensic sculptor Frank Bender, V.S.M.
(Photo credit: America's Most Wanted.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• boxfathr.JPG
    boxfathr.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online