PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFem 50-70, UP16994, head in basement of vacant property, Feb'63

Romulus

Reaction score
Namus UP 16994

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/16994

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)

Found February 4, 1963 in Philadelphia County, PA
Body Condition: Recognizable face
Probable year of death: 1963 to 1963
Estimated postmortem interval: Days

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: Unknown Age (Adult - Pre 70)

Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color: Grey
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks:
Appearing well-nourished

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available
DNA:
Sample is currently not available

Case History: Found head in basement of vacant property under demolition for construction of I-676. Recent post-mortem interval.

I came across this case on Namus today. Supercreepy.
I'm surprised I can't find anything on this in newspapers from the time, you'd think finding the head of a newly-dead elderly lady would make at least some tiny type of headline.
How much effort did they put in trying to identify her or finding the rest of her body?

According to this website, the building was on Philadelphia's skid row, but since she's described as "Appearing well-nourished" she doesn't sound like she was homeless. Depends if they mean "healthy" or "overweight" I guess. Hair also looks like it was taken care of, except messy, but like she had a cut and perm.

I can't find anyone matching her anywhere.

The old NamUs entry for this woman had the address found as 426 N Franklin St - property under demolition for construction of I-676. The current page has no address listed that we can see, just Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106 and an inaccurate map.

I've found several articles that have the address where the head was found as 624 N Marshall St (zip code 19123) - over a 1/2 mile north of N Franklin St & Rte 676.

Google Maps

Maybe not huge deal since the address is no longer publicly viewable. I am wondering though, if there's another case where someone was found at the Franklin St address.

Attachments

• Philly F 02-04-1963 address.JPG
    Philly F 02-04-1963 address.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Philly F 02-04-1963 house.JPG
    Philly F 02-04-1963 house.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 59
The old NamUs entry for this woman had the address found as 426 N Franklin St - property under demolition for construction of I-676. The current page has no address listed that we can see, just Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106 and an inaccurate map.

I've found several articles that have the address where the head was found as 624 N Marshall St (zip code 19123) - over a 1/2 mile north of N Franklin St & Rte 676.

Google Maps

Maybe not huge deal since the address is no longer publicly viewable. I am wondering though, if there's another case where someone was found at the Franklin St address.

According to your newspaper clipping, this lady was still alive when she was decapitated. That is awful, and it's exceedingly rare in these UID cases. I originally assumed that she died naturally and that her death was concealed by those who lived with her (possibly in an attempt to receive benefits intended for her).

According to your newspaper clipping, this lady was still alive when she was decapitated. That is awful, and it's exceedingly rare in these UID cases. I originally assumed that she died naturally and that her death was concealed by those who lived with her (possibly in an attempt to receive benefits intended for her).

I don't think I ever thought it was a natural death. Head in a paper bag and where in the world are the rest of her remains. Other vacant houses in the area were searched but they didn't find anything.

I'm attaching another article. Hope it's readable once it's uploaded.

Attachments

• Philly F 02-04-1963 article 2.JPG
    Philly F 02-04-1963 article 2.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 109
I don't think I ever thought it was a natural death. Head in a paper bag and where in the world are the rest of her remains. Other vacant houses in the area were searched but they didn't find anything.

I'm attaching another article. Hope it's readable once it's uploaded.

I always knew that the circumstances of this case were obviously very suspicious, but I would have never imagined that the dismemberment of her body would take place before she actually died.

The new screenshot that you posted says that she could have died "as recently as a week" prior to her discovery, but NamUS lists the PMI as "days". The fact that they could not determine eye color suggests to me that she was probably dead for closer to a week than to just a few days, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Crossposting from Marie Coleman's WS thread:
PA - PA - Marie Coleman, 49-50, Philadelphia, 10 Jan 1959, NamUs MP 70359

Marie Coleman was added to NamUs in June, and she made me think of this Jane Doe. She went missing from Philadelphia in January 1959, four years before Jane Doe was found, so that is a bit off. Her common-in-law husband, Thomas E Burns, was convicted of murdering her, and he allegedly boasted that he had cut up her body and disposed of it. This was the first murder case in PA to be tried without a body. Her remains have never been found.

I do not know if she's been ruled out being this Doe.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I actually have just noticed that The woman in the Lord & Taylor suit and Fur hat along with the old woman the in the green dress loafers w earring were found not to far from this woman. I get that they were not decapitated but they were found in water.

Just wondering if someone was targeting older women around this time. Maybe old widowed women. Just a thought I had.

Iam going to see if I find any others.

I actually have just noticed that The woman in the Lord & Taylor suit and Fur hat along with the old woman the in the green dress loafers w earring were found not to far from this woman. I get that they were not decapitated but they were found in water.

Just wondering if someone was targeting older women around this time. Maybe old widowed women. Just a thought I had.

Iam going to see if I find any others.

Hi @madamx Is there a link to these cases? I'm not sure were you referring to?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back