PA PA - Philadelphia, Schuylkill River, WhtFem 30-60, UP16623, Fur Hat, Lord & Taylor Skirt, Mar'68

Maria Ruthling went missing in 1965 it also states in the article below that she was born in NY.. I was thinking the Lord and Taylor skirt connection and she has long dark hair and seems to wear long skirts..the article says she was 57 but other articles say 50 and others say 49 so I don't know.. But anyway wanted to post her because she has the long hair and the nose is similar.
Scottsdale Progress Archives, Oct 16, 1970, p. 24

AZ - AZ - Maria Ruthling, 49, Scottsdale, 23 Sept 1965

Those circles/bruises under her eyes certainly resemble the sketch, imo. Her page at Charley has more pics so I took a screenshot. I hope it's okay. If not, then please delete, run over to Charley's and get a look.
Maria Theresa Ruthling – The Charley Project

I dont know how to make this pic appear in the msg unless it magically appears when i press "post" and twinkle my nose. Hopefully it'll work.

Screenshot 2019 02 19 13 49 06 1 — Postimage.org

The fact that she was wearing size 10, is very telling. She was 5'2" 115 lbs. That would make her a real life size 4 or 6.
Wearing size 10 means she did not shop for these clothes, she was homeless or picked up the clothes on the street or donated to a shelter and she wore them to have clothes and to stay warm.

The fact that she was wearing size 10, is very telling. She was 5'2" 115 lbs. That would make her a real life size 4 or 6.
Wearing size 10 means she did not shop for these clothes, she was homeless or picked up the clothes on the street or donated to a shelter and she wore them to have clothes and to stay warm.

A size 10 in 1968 would have been very small. The equivalent of a modern day size 0 or 2. Vanity sizing.

Not necessarily. Sizing was very different back then from what it is now. There was no size 0, 2 or 4, maybe not even a 6. It's called Vanity Sizing. The attached waist chart doesn't have all the sizes but illustrates pretty well how sizing has changed over the years. There's an additional chart for bust size at the link.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-chart/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8708d6730b49

Attachments

• Vanity Sizing Philly F 96-2900.JPG
    Vanity Sizing Philly F 96-2900.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 15
Lord & Taylor was pretty hoity-toity at the time. They wouldn't have let me in the door :D

Let us in the door, likely. Assign someone to follow us around & keep us out of the merchandise & out of the way of the preferred customers, yessiree.

Long ago in a galaxy far away, I lived in an extended suburb of New York City. My Dad rode the train in to work.

A girl in my class was the daughter of a switchboard operator at Lord & Taylor in New York. Haven't thought of her in years!

But then whose bones are those that were found in the yard at Mary's former home?

Ooops my bad, I meant to do the other Mary. Er, Maria.

eta: Here she is. She seems closer around the eyes though the nose doesn't match, though I suppose she could have broken it in the interval between her disappearance and the UID's death.

Attachments

• maria ruthling with Phillie JD.png
    maria ruthling with Phillie JD.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ooops my bad, I meant to do the other Mary. Er, Maria.

eta: Here she is. She seems closer around the eyes though the nose doesn't match, though I suppose she could have broken it in the interval between her disappearance and the UID's death.

I hope you don't mind that I stole your idea of side-by-side comparison. This waymis much easier on the eyes than flipping/scrolling screens. :oops::confused:

cKKykP7v

Screenshot 2019 02 19 21 46 43 1 — Postimage.org

The remains in Garfield (Pittsburgh) have been ID'd - it's Mary.
Remains Found In Yard In 2018 Identified As Woman Who Went Missing In 1960s

CCJD, ty for this update! :) Closing cold cases is always good news and is always welcome in some form or fashion (IMO).

:D Yes!! Amen, Hallelujia! Thank you Lord for uncovering years of uncertainties for Mary's family and friends.

I send my deepest condolences to all who loved and lost Mary. May God comfort you and provide strength to you during this heartbreaking time.

--

Congratulations to all who've worked so hard to find Mary and identify her remains. You're much appreciated by many and respected by many many more. May God bless you. ;)

In 1968 there was also a Lord and Taylor in Manhasset, NY (Long Island) as well as Manhattan.
Thank you Houndpounder..I know about the Lord and Taylor in Manhattan as the original.. I did not realize the one in Manhasset was there in 1968 also.. That is good to know. I still have not been able to find any info on any Lord and Taylor in PA in 1968.. I had been looking.. So if the only Lord and Taylor stores are in NY, I believe this woman has ties to NY.

There were two Lord & Taylor stores that I found in the Philly area, in Bala Cynwyd and Jenkintown. The pic is a want ad from '67 but I found ads back to '63 so the stores weren't new at the time the UID was found.

Google map of stores locations: Google Maps
oh nevermind.. how did I miss this post.. ok so there were Lord and Taylor in the Philly area..ok.. so she then could be from the Philly Area.. just prob never reported missing.. oh that is sad..

People of means used to travel quite a distance to shop to the popular high end stores like Lord&Taylor, Nordstrom's, etc. So while it's possible she's from the NYC or Phillie area, it might mean she was from the area where she was found but made trips to get better clothing.

But you would think that somebody who could afford to do that would have been reported missing.

People of means used to travel quite a distance to shop to the popular high end stores like Lord&Taylor, Nordstrom's, etc. So while it's possible she's from the NYC or Phillie area, it might mean she was from the area where she was found but made trips to get better clothing.

But you would think that somebody who could afford to do that would have been reported missing.

Yeah I know.. or unless she was reported locally in some small town far away from where she was found Or had no family and was never reported? . I don't know she just seems likes someone would know her.

It's not mentionedthat they thought she was homeless or anything like some reports mentón on UIDs . So IAM assuming her clothing did not look worn out in the conditions of someone that worn them daily w out washing like a homeless person would. Or if the shoe soles were all worn out.

I had no idea What chucka Boots are so Iam assuming it's a typo. And it's Cukka?. That's the only thing I found in men's 1950 vintage style shoes. Below is attached image. Also I have been looking for the other label names mentioned. It's a shame they don't mention which piece of clothing had which label.

Between the long skirt and the long hair I keep wondering if it could be Maria. The Nose is slightly different but like someone said it could have been broken sometime after she disappeared .

Attachments

• IMG_3259.PNG
    IMG_3259.PNG
    404.7 KB · Views: 14

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads