PA - Shane Montgomery, 21, Philadelphia, 27 Nov 2014 #5

I just don't see the suicide angle whatsoever. He knew that area. If he were suicidal, I don't think he's jumping off a ledge where an injury is a much more likely outcome than instant death. Even if he was drunk. If he was suicidal, he would go up to the Green Lane Bridge. I still haven't seen or read anything that makes me think anything but accident.

Whether Shane's death was due to foul play, suicide, an accident or sheer fluke, I earnestly pray that all his peers and classmates who maintained a vigil while he was missing remain vigilante in their own actions and honor Shane by taking a lesson from this tragic experience.

Just sitting here reading through the thread, thinking of Shane and his family, wishing they all find peace.

Cement: since we were separated at birth- I'm curious, who's older?
I have the same nagging questions. Believe me. Normally, I love detecting mysteries, but there are too many unanswered confusing questions.

For the record: keys do not float. Try it yourself in a bathtub or swimming pool. Add the lanyard-add a ID card. They do sell floaters for keys, because keys sink. Many boat/jet ski etc... Have their keys on a floatable key ring for that reason.
Someone told me Shanes keys were on the news?...does anyone have a photo or link to this- I can't seem to find one.
I also do not believe Shanes body would have traveled 800 yards on the bottom of the river, with virtually no current on the bottom- if he did get moved around at all, there is plenty of debris to get trapped on. He would have most likely been trapped in a pocket 7-8 feet.
Where they found his body is where he succumbed to the effects of drowning.

Jonesy I remember you said before a source told you weeks before Shane was found that cameras were being checked from Venice island to see if they could see Shane in the water.......do you know where this camera or cameras are at? I wanted to know if we could rule out potential spots that he jumped in from and also spots on land that it could be confirmed he never got to.

CP, to answer one of your questions, it does appear the track bridge that you mentioned as a possible suicide spot is near where he was found...., unless Im looking at things wrong. Im looking at Google earth,. He was found behind the brewery I believe.

My source said not a lot if cameras in the backs of these businesses however the agent said anything he did see or what they looked for in the extreme darkness was any shadows/figures walking along the towpath. The camera they were looking at was from the new Venice island looking for a body floating by they found nothing.

I have the same nagging questions. Believe me. Normally, I love detecting mysteries, but there are too many unanswered confusing questions.

For the record: keys do not float. Try it yourself in a bathtub or swimming pool. Add the lanyard-add a ID card. They do sell floaters for keys, because keys sink. Many boat/jet ski etc... Have their keys on a floatable key ring for that reason.
Someone told me Shanes keys were on the news?...does anyone have a photo or link to this- I can't seem to find one.
I also do not believe Shanes body would have traveled 800 yards on the bottom of the river, with virtually no current on the bottom- if he did get moved around at all, there is plenty of debris to get trapped on. He would have most likely been trapped in a pocket 7-8 feet.
There are pockets and you know the river better than me but I do believe the point of entry was somewhere in that parking lot area. We can rule out a robbery his money and cell phone were on his person.

LOL@ the birth/age thing. Were you born in 72 also? :p

I totally agree with everything you've said.

My source said not a lot if cameras in the backs of these businesses however the agent said anything he did see or what they looked for in the extreme darkness was any shadows/figures walking along the towpath. The camera they were looking at was from the new Venice island looking for a body floating by they found nothing.

bolded by me. This camera would be somewhere between the parking lot and the brewery right? Because I know some have guessed he could have entered in the water at the lot and fought drowning until he got to near the brewery.

bolded by me. This camera would be somewhere between the parking lot and the brewery right? Because I know some have guessed he could have entered in the water at the lot and fought drowning until he got to near the brewery.

No I don't believe so Venice island is farther down from the brew pub

Again- Here is a arial photo of the distance. To refresh our visuals.
As I'm reevaluating this stretch. I think if it 10 feet out from the lot where he went in- the river banks bend & jut out- leaning me to believe he would have had obstacles in the way to have a direct flow to where they found him.
image.jpg

In other words a direct route could not have been traveled without hitting the banks.

It's not too hard to come up with an accidental reason to be in the river. Perhaps he went to the river to pee/smoke and was twirling his keys on the lanyard and they flew off his finger and into the river. This happened to me all the time when I had keys on a lanyard or string in college (especially when drinking), except not into a river thankfully. If they were floating because of the ID or something and he saw them, perhaps he instinctively jumped in to get them or tried to wade out to get them and slipped or succumbed to hypothermia. If he was inebriated and not thinking straight and maybe even had done the same thing in the summer when the cold temperature wasn't as dangerous, it doesn't seem implausible.

Anyway, obviously, I have no evidence or reason to believe this specifically is what actually happened, but my point is that it's certainly not impossible to conceive of a host of accidental reasons for him to be in the river that are no less plausible than suicide or foul play since there isn't really anything to support either of those theories, either. Sadly, I don't think we're ever going to know exactly what happened.

I think you have missed my point. The reason I do not feel it was an accident is because I cannot for the life of me understand why he would go back to that river, unless he wa 1) meeting someone, which could then bring in foul play or 2) he wanted to commit suicide. That's it for me. I have been on here fron the start. I have listened to some absolutely fabulous theories from my fellow sleuthers and this is where I have ended up. I just don't see accident. In addition to these two, several great people from this thread have taken the time to walk us through the area, and I just don't see that happening.

Is Tracker in here? Or has anyone heard of the Brandyn Schweitzer case? Living in Absecon then last seen in Roxborough on December 22nd? There is an article on phillyvoice.com When you click on there choose law enforcement.

Is Tracker in here? Or has anyone heard of the Brandyn Schweitzer case? Living in Absecon then last seen in Roxborough on December 22nd? There is an article on phillyvoice.com When you click on there choose law enforcement.

Trackergd was willing to search. He explained on the previous thread. Land searches came to a halt, without LE permission or invite.
The Brandyn case: he has to be reported missing in his hometown by law. He was last seen in Rox-Citizens bank, I believe. His last known whereabouts were here.

Using your photo, I believe the entire area I semi circled in red is the entire property of the pub. I've put an X where I think he may have been found. Is this correct does anyone know? And, any closer to the back of the building would indicate he fell into the canal and drifted down that to the location he was found. Which I definitely DO NOT believe. No way he drifted in the canal as it barely moves. IMO If the river was strong enough that night I can see him going into the river near the keys/wall and then drifting down towards the X spot and succumbing there. I mean, that seems possible to me.

image.jpg

Again- Here is a arial photo of the distance. To refresh our visuals.
As I'm reevaluating this stretch. I think if it 10 feet out from the lot where he went in- the river banks bend & jut out- leaning me to believe he would have had obstacles in the way to have a direct flow to where they found him.
View attachment 67018

This is what I mean. He went in around the wall....YELLOW X.......traveled down to where he was found....RED X. It's possible, I guess. If the river was moving enough to push him along. Was it? Or did he somehow get back onto the canal edge/train track, walk that train track to the part right behind the pub, and fall off into the water there? Possible too. But still doesn't explain the keys being upstream. Those damn keys!!

REFRESH if the pic doesn't show correctly. I originally posted the wrong one.

image.jpg

Shane was reported found behind the Manayunk Brewery. I believe CP where you have marked with an X is Mad River Bar.

image.jpg

Keep in mind the Green lane Bridge is approximately 150ft. wide. This covers the rivers span. If the river is approx. 80-100 feet in width. 10 feet out from the wall wouldn't be that far out. Does anyone have a width of this part of the rivers stretch?...I'm judging by the length of the bridge.

Yeah, I see why you think I'm X'ing that spot but no. I mean here in this area behind the pub in red. The other place is outlined in yellow.

pub.jpg

Gotcha. Yes, and when the diver was reporting on the news- he was standing in Mad Rivers entrance.

This distance roughly?

dist.jpg

Keep in mind the Green lane Bridge is approximately 150ft. wide. This covers the rivers span. If the river is approx. 80-100 feet in width. 10 feet out from the wall wouldn't be that far out. Does anyone have a width of this part of the rivers stretch?...I'm judging by the length of the bridge.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back