PA - Shannon Berthiaume rammed van into Philadelphia school, 2005

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by VespaElf, May 24, 2005.

1. VespaElf

VespaElf Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)

PHILADELPHIA — A woman apparently upset over the treatment of her children by other students rammed her minivan into the front of the Huey Elementary School (search) in West Philadelphia this morning.

No children were injured, but a bus attendant standing inside the school was slightly injured when the van with the woman and three children crashed into the front door of the school, about 50 feet from the street.

There was no major damage to the vehicle or the school building and little more than a bumper mark on the door of the school.

School officials say the woman had been complaining that her children were being picked on by other students since being transferred to Huey Elementary in December.

Investigators say they found signs in the van protesting the children's treatment. Authorities say the woman had threatened to drive into the school on Monday, but police were notified and an incident was averted then...........http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,157545,00.html

2. Loading...

3. angrymom

angrymom New Member

I swear it wasn't me!

Seriously though, how awful to risk killing someone like that, maybe even your own kids. Nice role model MOM :doh:

4. lostfaith

lostfaith Lost my mind too!

Not condoning what she did, but there have been times............

5. 1986

1986 New Member

I wonder if her defense will be that she was being picked on. Could her behavior be an indicator of her child's behavior?

6. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

IN THE PICTURES that fourth-grader Destiny drew about her life at school, the little girl with a long ponytail labeled "me" always has tears streaming down her face.

"I am afrade to go to Huey School," she wrote in a note her mother found in her bookbag.

In one picture, the girl with the ponytail is surrounded by other children who have their arms stretched out as if hitting the girl in the center.

In a note, the 9-year-old wrote: "Dear Mom, Can you help? I wish you can get help. Help us Mom. I am sad and afrade."

For six months, said Shannon Berthiaume (the pronunciation rhymes with perfume), her three children came home from school with almost daily accounts of having been taunted with racial remarks like "whitey," "white girl," or "white boy," or having been punched, scratched or spat upon

Berthiaume says she called DHS to report that her kids were being abused at school. She said the DHS worker told her the agency could not investigate complaints against a school.

She says she's gotten calls from the American Civil Liberties Union, the Education Law Center and a mental-health organization because she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has a bipolar disorder.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/11881362.htm

7. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

October 2010:

http://www.everymothernetwork.net/avalanche-of-anguish/