Found Deceased PA - Shevy McGiffin, 13, Clarion, 9 Sept 2016

If you can, please join her group on FB. Lots of locals, family and neighbors posting.
Including several saying they just searched along that creek, and she was not there.

If you can, please join her group on FB. Lots of locals, family and neighbors posting.
Including several saying they just searched along that creek, and she was not there.

The ME should be able to tell how long ago she died and if she had been outside for 3 days. How high was the water in that creek the day they were searching? Could she have been washed downstream by it between the first time they searched there and the next time when they came back?
I know it's hard to accept but accidental drowning does happen. I know a story from my local area about a grown man who drowned trying to cross a flooded stream--his friends saw him go in the water and go under. It took searchers 2 weeks to find his body and he had washed up on a bank already searched the day before.
I know this must be so hard for her parents and I'm sorry for their loss. If there was any foul play, I hope the ME will be able to tell by looking at how long she was outside. If someone else placed her there after killing her they should be able to tell that too from other forensic evidence.

I just went in YouTube and watched about ten Creek flashfloods caught on film. A healthy, fit adult would surely drown, nevermind a 13 year old child. I'm surprised more of her belongings weren't thrown off her in the force of the flood. I've seen trees pulled off banks. And then when it's over it becomes a quaint, trickling little stream again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It is sad to know that we always think the worst when someone goes missing in our country today. The world can be so cruel and evil
RIP Shevy, only happiness and love from now on

BBM

I'm reserving judgement on this one... her mom said she's "heavy", but to me she looks... um... like she's carrying her weight a bit... oddly? Kind of in the front?

I'm sorry, but I've looked at that picture a zillion times, and every time I think the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
She looks a bit like a child with an autoimmune disorder, or perhaps asthma. Regular corticosteroid use will add weight to the face and stomach.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I am totally crushed.
Why would a girl her age go into that creek area with a newly bought coloring book.?
Answer me. Because I don't understand it.

Why was her sweatshirt not on her body? Do they automatically come off as you die of drowning in PA?
Why was she not at that spot 2 hours earlier?

That area had already been searched. She. Was. Not. There.

ETA: it was searched within 20 minutes of neighbours and locals knowing she was missing.

Not sure if I'm even allowed to ask this, definitely slap my hand if not. The rules on here are scary sometimes for newbies. :)

IFFFF by chance she did happen to be pregnant, would LE/ME be required to disclose that? Yes, there are other reasons her belly could be distended for other reasons, but it does appear very pregnancy-like.
Just wondering if that did happen to be the case, will we ever know? I think that would put an entirely different set of possibilities in play.

Not sure if I'm even allowed to ask this, definitely slap my hand if not. The rules on here are scary sometimes for newbies. :)

IFFFF by chance she did happen to be pregnant, would LE/ME be required to disclose that? Yes, there are other reasons her belly could be distended for other reasons, but it does appear very pregnancy-like.
Just wondering if that did happen to be the case, will we ever know? I think that would put an entirely different set of possibilities in play.

Given accidental drowning, I don't think any medical information other than COD will ever be released. It would be different if there would eventually be a trial, but, no, I don't think we'll ever know.

That area had already been searched. She. Was. Not. There.

ETA: it was searched within 20 minutes of neighbours and locals knowing she was missing.

I am totally crushed.
Why would a girl her age go into that creek area with a newly bought coloring book.?

Why was her sweatshirt not on her body? Do they automatically come off as you die of drowning in PA?
Why was she not at that spot 2 hours earlier?
The path across the creek may have been her usual route, and she took it by habit. Or it may be a bit shorter and she chose the shorter route because of the rain. Or it could be some other reason, but chances are it was for a totally rational (to her) and innocuous reason.

She wouldn't be the first person to misjudge the force of water. She was just a kid, and adults who should know better get swept away because they overestimate their ability and underestimate the power of water. People try to drive through a flooded area and their cars get swept away. She may have been completely unaware of how fast water can rise in a storm, or how strong the current would be. And it doesn't take much water.

Her sweatshirt may have snagged on something and came off due to the current. Or maybe she took it off to wrap around the coloring book so it wouldn't get wet.

Her coloring book would be very light and could have been swept much farther, there's a river a bit further down, right? Or it could have gotten completely waterlogged and be at the bottom of the stream covered with mud. Or covered by branches and debris.

She may have still been underwater when the area was searched. Or the searchers were close, but not quite where she was found. And, if you look through these threads, it's very common for someone to be found in an area already searched. All it takes is for the nearest searcher to take a step or two while scanning in the other direction. (Especially common with volunteer searchers who aren't trained). And, my personal opinion, volunteer searchers want to find a living person, and imo will subconsciously not "see" a body. That's Jmo based on following these cases for many years.

I am totally crushed.

I think she was trying to cross the creek and slipped or fell. She's probably done the same thing a hundred times and didn't realize how dangerous it was in those conditions.

I just went in YouTube and watched about ten Creek flashfloods caught on film. A healthy, fit adult would surely drown, nevermind a 13 year old child. I'm surprised more of her belongings weren't thrown off her in the force of the flood. I've seen trees pulled off banks. And then when it's over it becomes a quaint, trickling little stream again.

I followed your lead and watched a few flash flood videos too. Thanks for the suggestion because I've never seen anything like that before. It's amazing how quickly the water level can increase and the force of the water is evident. Scary stuff.

Anyone seeing a source for where she was found? I only see the Clarion River being given so far. It would have been quite a hike through the woods and I don't think she went there on her own. Here is her path from her street to the Dollar store: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fra...19addbd6c55782e!2m2!1d-79.3898223!2d41.206131

I read somewhere that she washed down that far. IMO it is possible that she went down to the creek for some reason she slipped hitting her head which knocked her out and drowned. I just don't understand why it took them so long to find her if that was the case.

I followed your lead and watched a few flash flood videos too. Thanks for the suggestion because I've never seen anything like that before. It's amazing how quickly the water level can increase and the force of the water is evident. Scary stuff.
Omg, right? I used to wonder how the heck people drowned in these things. Now I know. Have to give Mother Nature the respect here.

When I first saw the pictures, its what I thought to, it was a little startling because their is photos where she would never look it, then the one in the pink shirt commonly seen where she does look pregnant.

But in regards to the case, it seems a little strange a 13 year old is still into coloring books, nothing wrong with it if she is, ive just not known children to really show interest in coloring books past about age of 10. What kind of raised the flag with me also on top the fact she was seen talking to an older guy.

It was probably one of those adult coloring books with the very intricate designs. My friend is a middle school guidance counselor and they are all the rage with that age group here. They color at lunch, in the halls during down time, she keeps a steady supply of them in her office because a lot of students open up easier with her while coloring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It was probably one of those adult coloring books with the very intricate designs. My friend is a middle school guidance counselor and they are all the rage with that age group here. They color at lunch, in the halls during down time, she keeps a steady supply of them in her office because a lot of students open up easier with her while coloring.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Coloring-Books&highlight=adult+coloring+books

I color, and I'm an adult! I know many others who color, as well. Of course, I use the adult coloring books now, but just a couple of years ago I was in the hospital for a while, and I colored in kids coloring books. It's actually quite relaxing.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I color, and I'm an adult! I know many others who color, as well. Of course, I use the adult coloring books now, but just a couple of years ago I was in the hospital for a while, and I colored in kids coloring books. It's actually quite relaxing.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Oh don't worry, one of my favorite times of day is after the kids are in bed, and I can sit down with a glass of wine, my coloring book, and watch (listen) to a show or two with my husband. It's a great way to relax and I have even gotten him to join me in coloring lately.

I just mentioned it to show that coloring books aren't just for little kids anymore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back