GUILTY PA - Steven Esworthy, 32, murdered on Harrisburg street, 19 June 2016

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/06/harrisburg_homicide_wedding_st.html

Steven Esworthy was walking home from his brother's wedding celebration in Harrisburg when a robber surprised him from behind by slamming an object against his head.

The robber took cash and some of Esworthy's personal belongings before fleeing from the scene in the 1200 block of Green Street in midtown...

Witnesses who saw a man rifling through Esworthy's pockets as he lay dying provided a general description of the robber. He was described as a black man, tall, possibly 6 feet tall and thin, wearing light-colored or faded jeans with a white tank-top around his neck.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/06/harrisburg_hammer_attack_midto.html

Brant Hansen's wife was walking their dogs one morning in April in midtown Harrisburg when a stranger threw a hammer at her. She reached down to pick it up and the man charged her, put her in a headlock and threw her down on the street without saying a word.

Since the bizarre attack, Hansen and his wife have seen the same man in their midtown neighborhood. They've taken photographs of him, followed him home, called 911 and provided all the information to police...

The hammer-throwing suspect was described as a black man, 6 feet tall, slim, with a light-colored complexion wearing black and white camouflage pants and a matching jacket...

"I don't know what else to do. You take pictures and give them the address and then obviously when I saw the murder news yesterday, I'm like it seems like the same MO (method of operation.) I don't know if it's the same guy. I have no idea. I want this guy taken care of..he's got to be taken off the street."

http://abc27.com/2016/06/21/coroner-releases-new-details-in-harrisburg-homicide-case/

Coroner Graham Hetrick said it appears the attacker came up behind 32-year-old Steven Esworthy and struck him extremely hard with a piece of 1¼” x 1¼” oak lumber.

“He immediately went to the ground so quickly he could not even put his hands out, that’s how quickly he lost consciousness,” Hetrick said.

Surveillance video released:

http://abc27.com/2016/06/21/harrisburg-police-video-shows-suspect-in-beating-death/

Family to get Harrisburg murder victim memorial items back

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/03/family_to_get_harrisburg_murde.html

The family of Harrisburg homicide victim Steven Esworthy has learned that it will get back a memorial filled with pictures and other remembrances that recently was taken down without notice near the site he was killed in June.

Esworthy's brother, Brian Esworthy, said the person who took down the memorial within the past week reached out to the family to claim responsibility. Brian said the individual has asked to remain anonymous, and he is honoring the request.

It was immediately unclear why the memorial was taken down.

Esworthy, 32, died after police said Shamir Hunter, 19, clubbed him in the head with a piece of wood as he walked home from Brian's wedding, where he served as best man on June 19. The incident occurred in the 1200 block of Green Street at about 1:30 a.m. on June 19.

Hunter was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. His trial is pending in Dauphin County court.

From last month:

Shamir Hunter convicted of killing Harrisburg man after his brother's wedding

A Dauphin County jury deliberated only about an hour Wednesday morning before convicting Shamir Hunter of killing a Harrisburg man who was walking home from his brother's wedding reception last year.

The convictions for second-degree murder and robbery mean the 20-year-old Hunter will spend the rest of his life in prison after Judge Deborah E. Curcillo sentences him in June.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Gettle argued during the three-day trial that Hunter killed Esworthy by hitting him on the back of the head so hard with a wooden stake that his skull was separated from his spine. Hunter netted $20 from the slaying when he rifled through Esworthy's pockets, investigators said.

Evidence Gettle presented including that stake, which was broken by the impact. It contained Esworthy's blood and Hunter's DNA, witnesses said. The prosecutor also played for the jury a recorded statement Hunter gave city police admitting to the killing.

Hunter took the witness stand Tuesday afternoon and denied killing Esworthy. He said someone else must have put his DNA on the murder weapon. Police tricked him into confessing to a crime he didn't commit, he said.

Brother of man slain in Harrisburg is moving forward with forgiveness

Brian Esworthy says the night his brother will killed, was a roller coaster of emotions.

“It’s hard to go from the highest high in your life,” Brian said, “to the lowest low that quickly, within a few hours.”

Brian says the murder devastated two families that were in the courtroom.

“During one of the recesses, I walked over to Shamir’s mother and introduced myself.” Esworthy said. “I said that I am sorry that our families are going through this, and I am praying for them, and she shook my hand and wished the same for our family.”

Brian says the guilty verdict does not help ease the pain. He says the healing process takes time, but he also said that he forgives Hunter, and he hopes that the punishment will allow him to turn to God and repent and accept Jesus Christ as his savior.

A killer or an 'innocent kid?' Trial starts in murder of Harrisburg man killed after brother's wedding

'I couldn't control myself': Jury hears Shamir Hunter admit killing man after his brother's wedding

Police fooled him into taking blame for killing man walking home from wedding, suspect testifies

Harrisburg robber who killed a 'shining light' after his brother's wedding goes to prison for life

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06/harrisburg_robber_who_killed_a.html

Steve Esworthy's relatives, a dozen or so of them, expressed their grief - and remarkably their forgiveness - right before Judge Deborah E. Curcillo sentenced 20-year-old Shamir Hunter to life in prison for the murder.

"The world has lost a shining light," Brian Esworthy told the tall, hulking Hunter. "What you did was evil. I hate what you did, but I'm not going to hate you. I forgive you."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back