PA PA - Toni Sharpless, 29, Gladwyne, 23 Aug 2009

Discussion in '2000's Missing' started by KaylynnCouture, Aug 28, 2009.

1. janewall

janewall Well-Known Member

As a frequent NJ visitor I wouldn't call the Pine Barrens dicey, but they're definitely a good place to lose something that you don't want to be found anytime soon, and I believe a certain marginal element of society is familiar with that feature.

I happen to love the remoteness, history, and quirkiness of this amazing natural area, smack in the middle of the US' most densely populated state. I have often fantasized about living waaaay down one of those sandy tracks in the woods. (I'm a wannabe hermit at heart, but I do need a few features of civilization, so someplace that's practically wilderness yet well under 100 miles from 2 major cities is right up my alley. :) )

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020

2. J Block

J Block Maj. Crimes

I think she’s in the Schuylkill. I have from day 1.

I think the Petrone & Imbo couple met a similar fate as well.

PPD/SAR find/pull-out dozens of vehicles from the Schuylkill. Fairly regularly.

I know a large amount of them are stolen/dump jobs, but still, there’s so many places you can enter the river around the I-76 corridor. Especially if your not familiar with the area and/or impaired or under duress.

MOO.

turanna25 likes this.
  3. Trackergd

Trackergd SAR Search Manager and Footprint Tracker

Toni went missing in August of 2009. I am wondering if the Philly PD was still skewing the city's crime report. I was watching Forensics Files S:7 E:36 covering the Shannon Schieber case. She was one of the Center City Rapist victims. It was noted that around 1997-1999 Philly was not reporting cases to keep the published crime rate down. Rapes were notably under reported. Missing persons were also easy to ignore. There was November 1, 1998 Philadelphia Inquirer article "How to cut the cities crime rate, don't report it". Sadly I think the issue extended well past 1999 as mayors love to tout lowering crime rates. I wonder if this would be enough to force Philly to re-open the case?

JnRyan, janewall and turanna25 like this.
  4. Trackergd

Trackergd SAR Search Manager and Footprint Tracker

There are sections close to Double Trouble state park where the trees are so thick, it takes an hour to move 50 feet. If you are claustrophobic and panic, you would be stuck for a while until you calmed down and worked your way back out. I prefer along ceder creek. Areas near Toms River have too many wild dog packs for my liking anymore.

janewall likes this.
  5. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

I haven’t read up on this case but a friend posted this link to her FB page. So many unanswered questions. This is dated Jan. 10th and I don’t see where it has been link but I could have missed it too. She sounds like such a strong lady to overcome so much but fate turned its hand. Poor lady. I’m glad her last text to her daughter was reassuring and loving.

Into the Night: The Toni Lee Sharpless Disappearance

KAE, janewall and turanna25 like this.
  6. JnRyan

JnRyan Well-Known Member

I wonder if Philly has a large backlog of rape kits like a lot of places across the US, too.

Trackergd, turanna25 and PayrollNerd like this.
  7. Tildanor

Tildanor New Member

I think the letter us an interesting piece of evidence. Makes me wonder if possibly Toni was pulled over for suspected DUI on her way home and met with foul play at that point... worth noting the information in the letter that could be verified was accurate.

turanna25 and scriabina like this.