Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #1 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bern
Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Betty also has a mole above the left eye. Something I remembered from my dad's WWII days. He said that when he was in Africa that the platoon leader recruited some of the locals to kill the Nazis. He would pay them $2 an ear. They would bring the ears back strung on a cord as proof of the killings. I read that her ears and nose were removed. I thought maybe it was some kind of proof she was dead. Just a thought.

Just my thoughts on why no one is seemingly looking for her. I agree that it could be that someone is be looking for her, but they haven't made the right connections for whatever reason. And I'm constantly reminded of cold cases that have recently been solved. For example, Boulder Jane Doe...if you look at that thread, Sylvia Pettem has has posted a link to her epilogue of the story and how it all came together in the end. Jane, whose name we now know is Dorothy 'Dot' Gay Howard, was reported missing by her family, even though at the time of the discovery of her remains, the Boulder LE didn't make the connection with any known missing reports from other LE agencies. And 55 years later it was resolved because Dot's great-niece was doing some research for a college paper & she stumbled upon the story of the Boulder Jane Doe, and then one thing led to another.

Lately I've been coming across a lot of similar stories: the person was reported missing, but no one ever made the connection OR the person was a runaway and never reported as missing.

For example, there is a resolved case of a UID on Doenetwork and that lass went missing from Wyoming in the 80s & the remains were located in Florida & she was never reported as missing/runaway:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/identified11.html (she's in the second row)

Or perhaps, the situation was not taken seriously--that scenario is why my friend, who was murdered in 1979, wasn't initially being sought out by LE because they believed she was a runaway (her mother knew better, of course), and they didn't take the matter seriously.

Sometimes I feel strongly that Beth is being looked for, but the connection hasn't been made. However, I don't discount the other theories, like a familial person or persons being involved in her death.

My gut tells me that one of these days, someone out there is going to do what I keep doing in my mid-life: 'I wonder whatever happened to...' or 'I wonder if they ever found so & so', jump on Google or whatever, and eventually come across all the info that is out there...

What is Mediterranean decent? Would that mean Greek?

I grew up in Pennsylvania and many parts of it have small groups of nationalities that live together. I am going to research White Haven and surrounding areas. She may have been living with a man and got pregnant and not married. The bags are not from a set, they are all different in color, and luggage sets don't have 3 small ones. He may have gotten them from a thrift store. They could have been a young couple living in an apartment or house and no one thinks anything of this girl missing, just that they moved away. I wonder if there are any veterinarian schools or med schools near by? If she ran away or left town before she was pregnant, it could be a missing profile maybe 1 to 2 years earlier. She looks like a couple of girls I went to school with, they were twins and Greek. I was born in 1954 so I know the time frame, sad to say.

Geez, did you see the DATE on this one? September 26, 1976? And the facial similarity? And married woman likely done in by her husband?

It doesn't mention pregnancy. And geez, where could she have been for three months?

Hey - I submitted this as posible match - response was no

Laura Bean,

Just adding the bracket so we can do the side by side...

Then a question. Being preggo adds weight to the face, I agree but would it cause the shape of the chin to be so much less pointy than Sallie's?

I submitted her as well

Sallie Margaret Reed
Betty Redmond

I thought I submitted both of these as possible matches previously - but maybe I did not submit them correctly.. Can we do this again?

Stacey, I don't see why not...at least you could just approach it something like, 'I am not sure if this person has been ruled out, but...etc...'

Then we can know for sure (unless someone on here already does?) & we can keep a list of rule-outs.

I found this new update on doenetwork:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2597dfuk.html

This trial has recently been going on over here & the father has been convicted of killing Tulay (they are of Turkish heritage).

I thought it would be interesting to note, since we have considered the possibility of Beth being a victim of an honour killing.

Hey - I submitted this as posible match - response was no

We were going to try to get a list of updated rule-outs from PSP. TrishyPA was going to send email over the weekend, but I don't know whether that happened. If not, I can do it, or you can if you want to. I started a message on Friday but ran out of time because I couldn't figure out what to say.

I found this new update on doenetwork:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2597dfuk.html

This trial has recently been going on over here & the father has been convicted of killing Tulay (they are of Turkish heritage).

I thought it would be interesting to note, since we have considered the possibility of Beth being a victim of an honour killing.

That's an interesting case, Kitbits. Thanks.

If Beth is from a community like this, her female relatives probably know what happened. They might not have been able to report it, but they would know she's missing.

We were going to try to get a list of updated rule-outs from PSP. TrishyPA was going to send email over the weekend, but I don't know whether that happened. If not, I can do it, or you can if you want to. I started a message on Friday but ran out of time because I couldn't figure out what to say.

Haven't done it yet. I can draft something up today so I can send it out when I get home tonight. I've been procrastinating everything on my to do list.

Is there not a NAMUS page for Beth Doe? I have checked, double-checked and triple checked and the last entry they have on NAMUS (National Missing and Unidentified Persons System) is for 1979 in PA. If she doesn't have a NAMUS entry I think we should contact the ME or the detective assigned to her and get her listed.

https://identifyus.org/

Is there not a NAMUS page for Beth Doe? I have checked, double-checked and triple checked and the last entry they have on NAMUS (National Missing and Unidentified Persons System) is for 1979 in PA. If she doesn't have a NAMUS entry I think we should contact the ME or the detective assigned to her and get her listed.

https://identifyus.org/

I also looked on NAMUS for Beth last week and found nothing. I will include something in my e-mail to PSP about getting her listed. Once I have a draft e-mail, I will post it here so whomever gets the chance to e-mail first can do so.

It is weird she is not entered into NAMUS, isn't it?

E-mail address for Corporal Thomas McAndrew is thmcandrew@state.pa.us

Subject: 169ufpa

Draft - feel free to edit (even if I send later) as I'm not a writer:

Cpl. McAndrew,

I am a member of an internet true crime discussion forum and one of the cases I am interested in is that of 169ufpa or Beth and Baby Doe.

I would like to obtain a copy those women who have been ruled out as being Beth (169ufpa) to share with the group. We are spinning our wheels when it comes to whom has successfully been submitted and confirmed as being ruled out.

Upon further research, we discovered that Beth (169ufpa) is not listed on NAMUS. Is it possible to have her case details added to this listing?

Someone, somewhere, may be searching for this young woman and doesn’t know where to look. Recent identification of long-time unidentified persons gives us renewed hope that Beth can be identified and reunited with a family that may not know of her fate.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule,

Any thoughts on that draft? I don't want to sound like an idiot.

Any thoughts on that draft? I don't want to sound like an idiot.

Sorry, I was out all day doing Christmas things and only just got back.

Your letter is pretty much what I had been thinking. I was going to include something about not wasting the investigators' time submitting duplicates, but yours is fine the way it is. Nice and polite and to the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak