Identified! PA - White Haven, 'Beth Doe' & Unborn Baby 169UFPA, 16-22, Dec'76 - #1 - Evelyn Colon

Status
Not open for further replies.
busses are numbers - ex: M1 or SI1 -
trains are letters - so like 8th street station take the o train to 4th street.....etc.
I don't know about in '76

I read about the following crime this morning. It reminded me of the murder of Beth Doe and supports the theory that it could have been an "honour" killing. I think that this theory really makes sense, especially because it is possible that Beth Doe was of Mediterranean descent.

Butcher cuts wife’s nose, ears off for suing him
A butcher from the eastern province of Bingöl allegedly cut his wife’s nose and ears off on Saturday after being released from prison, where he stayed for three months after she filed a domestic violence complaint against him.

Aysun K., who is seven months pregnant and a mother of three disabled children, filed a complaint with the Provincial Gendarme Command, after which her husband, Gıyasettin K., received a three-month sentence and was imprisoned in Bingöl. Released from prison one week ago, Gıyasettin K. drove his wife to a place between the villages of Kılçadır and Yamaç. He cut off the ears and nose of Aysun K. and then dropped her off at the door to Genç State Hospital.

The man was later caught by gendarmes and arrested by a Bingöl court. The woman was first referred to the Bingöl State Hospital and then to the Fırat Teaching and Research Hospital in neighboring Elazığ province. She is reportedly in good condition.

One of the woman’s ears did not entirely come off while the other one was found and given to hospital staff by the gendarme. Her nose could not be found. Social Services Provincial Director Ahmet Kaya told reporters that they have set into motion the official procedures to ensure the safety of the mother and her three children.

16 March 2010, Tuesday
TODAY’S ZAMAN İSTANBUL

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/n...r-cuts-wifes-nose-ears-off-for-suing-him.html

I have an uncle that used to tease me as a child. He would pull out his pocket knife and tell me "come here, I'm going to cut off your ears." I was always so scared of him. I know it's off the subject, but I was just remembering it after reading the latest posts.

I wish they had a more definative age on her. Have you ever gone to classmates or those other school reunion sites? They have who is 'missing' (and often a yearbook photo)from the class to contact for reunions. I thought that may be a good resource for school in that area but with the several year age swing it makes it tough.

I am assuming she was from the NE and had not just landed here from abroad.

I have an uncle that used to tease me as a child. He would pull out his pocket knife and tell me "come here, I'm going to cut off your ears." I was always so scared of him. I know it's off the subject, but I was just remembering it after reading the latest posts.

Ouch. That's nasty teasing.

But yeah, I'm under the impression that sort of mutilation is not uncommon even in places where "pseudo-honor" is not at stake.

The one thing that bugs me as an 'honor killing' is: don't they usually leave the female on display as an 'example' to others?

I guess perhaps if you are in a country that doesn't accept that type of behavior it may morph a bit but the 2 cases I can think of from this country (recently) the husband just chopped the wife's head off and the father in the other one just ran the daughter over. They didn't try to hide the victim.

The one thing that bugs me as an 'honor killing' is: don't they usually leave the female on display as an 'example' to others?

I guess perhaps if you are in a country that doesn't accept that type of behavior it may morph a bit but the 2 cases I can think of from this country (recently) the husband just chopped the wife's head off and the father in the other one just ran the daughter over. They didn't try to hide the victim.

Yeah. Something about it just does not feel like an honor killing to me. The shooting plus strangulation, the facial mutilation, the dismemberment all feel like overkill, like a serial killer's thrill or a lover's rage.

I read about a couple other cases here and one theme ran through all of them, they (the perp) never tried to cover it up. They felt they had a right to do what they did.

I read about a couple other cases here and one theme ran through all of them, they (the perp) never tried to cover it up. They felt they had a right to do what they did.

Yes, exactly.

I think it's still a possibility -- that the perp felt he had a right to do it, but was aware the laws around him were different. But I don't think it's the most likely explanation.

This site made a comment about the breasts being cut off.

http://peace4missing.ning.com/profiles/blogs/carbon-county-beth-doe

I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere else before. I'm just wondering if they were at the scene also or missing like the nose & ears.

Assuming it's true - it kind of puts a different light on the nose/ears thing - in my mind.

This site made a comment about the breasts being cut off.

http://peace4missing.ning.com/profiles/blogs/carbon-county-beth-doe

I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere else before. I'm just wondering if they were at the scene also or missing like the nose & ears.

Assuming it's true - it kind of puts a different light on the nose/ears thing - in my mind.

No, I hadn't seen that before either, and yes, I agree, that puts quite a different light on things.

I also hadn't heard this before: "McAndrew said a forensic anthropologist determined her ancestry was from east central Europe and she may have been of Polish or Czechoslovakian descent."

That is NOT the Mediterranean that has been discussed frequently, and it's not an area where honor killing is part of the culture.

I'm going to look around more and see if that info gets repeated anywhere else.

I've been off this discussion (and WS for awhile) but hopefully I can begin contributing again.

I've never seen the bit about the breasts being cut off before, certainly puts a new spin on things if it's true. Breast removal might point to more of a ritual dismemberment rather than a dismemberment due to convenience.

In most other sources it appears that the torso was cut in two with the baby, head, and two pieces of torso in two suitcases, legs and arms in the third suitcase. Torso "in two" may refer to the separation of the chest from the lower torso.

Those dentals are incorrect, which is why they are no longer on Pennsylvania Missing Persons. New dentals were completed when Beth Doe was exhumed in 2007.

So....I'm wondering - in my amaturish fashion - if this is a case where there was a found crime scene and possibly a conviction, but no body.
I've always looked for missing persons but not strictly for murder victims.

I was looking at this map that I attached and I found an article in Maine with Pauline Rourke - who is assumed murdered, but had not come up listed in the Missing Persons database I searched prior.

The map shows an area where Beth Doe could have come from within her time of death. I figured it at driving 16 hours at 50mph. I took off 8 hours (she was assumed dead under 24 hours) for dismembering the body, sleep, eat, gas stops etc. So I would ASSUME the farthest she could have come from was 16 hours away - at 50mph. Now this map takes into consideration roads that exist now and not in '76 so probably she is further inside the highlighted area.

Attachments

• bethdoetravelmap.jpg
    bethdoetravelmap.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 26
I happened to be on Wikipedia and stumbled upon the entry about Dolores Della Penna. For those of you who aren't familiar with the case, Della Penna was a 17 year old girl kidnapped from Philadelphia in 1972. Like Beth, she was dismembered. Her torso and arms were found in Jackson Township, NJ, her legs were found in Manchester Township, NJ, and her head was not found. It is believed she was murdered by drug dealers who thought she had stolen from them. This can not be certain because Della Penna's murderer was never found.

At least one reporter felt there may be a connection to seven other murdered females, all who were supposedly associated with a gang that somehow involved methamphetamine. This link names the murder victims from and has more details: http://www.northeasttimes.com/2007/1108/gangstwo.html

A few things strike me about this:
Some of Della Penna's body parts were found in Jackson. That location isn't exactly close to White Haven, but it may be notable that the I-476 interchange, which one would use to get to Jackson is right near where Beth was found. Could this general corridor be used frequently for dumping bodies?

According to a blog I read (and I would not take this as gospel) around 40-50 bodies, mostly dismembered have been found in the Tom's River area where Jackson is. Most were involved with the mafia, a few are probably drug related. The place is apparently a perfect dumping ground due to its isolation and being half way point between NYC and Philadelphia.

Mafia involvement has been brought up before and somewhat dismissed due to the dismembering. I think it seems relatively clear from these sources that dismemberment is actually relatively common in the NY/NJ/PA mafia world. In fact, one of the most famous mafia groups during the time of Beth Doe's death was the Westies, who apparently were known for dismembering people. I don't think mafia involvement or drug involvement can be totally taken off the table. We assume that Beth Doe's death had something to do with her pregnancy (shamed family, upset father) but it could be that her death was due to her involvement in something else and she just happened to be pregnant.

Just a thought, I'm going to look into some of these other girls mentioned in the Della Penna article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288