Pair Claims Buffet Restaurant Banned Them For Hearty Eating

White Rain

Reaction score
If someone can edit my title please put a "y" at the end of heart! Thank you! I hate mis-spelling things.
OK guys, this is kinda like Bible reading lady kick off the bus....everybody weigh (no pun intended) in!

My opinion: A buffet is a buffet. Unless there is something in writing stating you will be asked to pay more if you eat the high dollar items, you shouldn't have to pay more.
I am glad the manager gave them a complimentary meal, but I do feel it was kind of discriminatory to ask them not to come back.

HOUMA, La. — A 6-foot-3, 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet line, then banned him and a relative because they're hearty eaters.
A spokesman for the restaurant denies the claim.
Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.
On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.
"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,"' Labit said.
Labit and Borrelli said they felt discriminated against because of their size. "I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277," Borrelli said, adding that a waitress told him he looked like he had a "baby in the belly."
Houma accountant Thomas Campo said the men were charged an extra $10 each on Dec. 21 because they made a habit of dining exclusively on the more expensive seafood dishes, including crab legs and frog legs.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,319688,00.html

Food is for eating, not for toys for your child - or 20% added?
Sounds like they are SOME people at that resturant!!

Houma is a VERY blue-collar town, and if this restaurant isn't accustomed to hearty eaters, then they should close down now. I don't know this restaurant, but will look for it soon.

If someone can edit my title please put a "y" at the end of heart! Thank you! I hate mis-spelling things.
OK guys, this is kinda like Bible reading lady kick off the bus....everybody weigh (no pun intended) in!

"I was stunned, that somebody would say something like that. I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277," Borrelli said, adding that a waitress told him he looked like he had a "baby in the belly."

I took care of your "y" darlin.

I love the sentence: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277,"

Don't serve high dollar items on "all you can eat" or limit it to "X number of trips to food bar for X dollars" I've seen that in some places. This guy eats there (or used to) 3 times a week? While it was handled poorly, at some piont they should have changed their policy, buffet or both.

I took care of your "y" darlin.

I love the sentence: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "I ain't that fat, I only weigh 277,"

thank you! I am a stickler for spelling, and hate looking like an idiot!
I know what u mean about that sentence...GRRRR I'm not even NEAR that weight and feel like a beached whale! I wish I had that much self-confidence!
I can just see this person as one of those who wears the skimpy skimpy clothes and think they are the bomb...
and just so everyone knows, I didn't used to be but I am over-weight now. I really do wish I had this person's self-confidence.

A simple "One visit to the high dollar items will be allowed per customer per visit from now on." and set those items all together with a notice above them would have sufficed. Then supply plenty of other low cost but tastey items for the hearty eaters to consume.

Isn't that discrimination?
Kinda like being asked not to read in the bookstore? :p

Don't put an item on an "all you can eat" buffet if you don't want your patrons to "eat all they want." :hand:

Very poor taste to ban them from the restaurant.

<snip>I know what u mean about that sentence...GRRRR I'm not even NEAR that weight and feel like a beached whale! I wish I had that much self-confidence!
I can just see this person as one of those who wears the skimpy skimpy clothes and think they are the bomb...
and just so everyone knows, I didn't used to be but I am over-weight now. I really do wish I had this person's self-confidence.

To be fair, according to this BMI calculator a weight of 239 pounds at six foot three inches tall is a BMI of 29.9. At 277 pounds and six foot three inches tall his BMI is 34.6. He is thirty eight pounds overweight, it isn't as if it is a hundred. Yeah, he could stand to lose some weight, but I see MORBIDLY obese people in this town. We are talking five feet four inches and at least three hundred pounds.

Wow I don't even know what to think. I mean obviously if it's a all you can eat buffet then you eat all you can right?!.. On the other hand I hate buffets because people grose me out piling their plates high like it's the last supper. I much rather go to a resturant and just be served what I order. I have not been to a buffet in 3 years.

Wow I don't even know what to think. I mean obviously if it's a all you can eat buffet then you eat all you can right?!.. On the other hand I hate buffets because people grose me out piling their plates high like it's the last supper. I much rather go to a resturant and just be served what I order. I have not been to a buffet in 3 years.

It absolutely disgusts me to see people pile up their plates and then not eat half of what they take, or elt their kids waste food. My kids know that if they take it, they eat it. Just gross how some people gorge themselves and then wonder why people look at them funny.

To be fair, according to this BMI calculator a weight of 239 pounds at six foot three inches tall is a BMI of 29.9. At 277 pounds and six foot three inches tall his BMI is 34.6. He is thirty eight pounds overweight, it isn't as if it is a hundred. Yeah, he could stand to lose some weight, but I see MORBIDLY obese people in this town. We are talking five feet four inches and at least three hundred pounds.

I wasn't speaking badly of this person. As I said before, I wish I had his self-confidence. Also I am also over-weight. I would be the LAST person to poke fun at anyone.
Well I guess my post really didn't sound like that though right?

I think the restaurant thinks they will go out of business the way these people take food, not that they're trying to be the fat police.

I think the restaurant thinks they will go out of business the way these people take food, not that they're trying to be the fat police.
I totally agree Linas. I think this is just about this couple crippling the buffet. I think it is reasonable for a restaurant owner to expect people to use common sense when eating at a buffet. You know,just like you can't get a to go carton, you have to use some restraint so the guy doesn't go out of business.
Just greed at work here, IMO.

It absolutely disgusts me to see people pile up their plates and then not eat half of what they take, or elt their kids waste food. My kids know that if they take it, they eat it. Just gross how some people gorge themselves and then wonder why people look at them funny.

I kinda agree, but sometimes what you pile on your plate (that you normally like) doesn't taste good at some places.
For instance, I love cabbage, so when I went to Golden Corral I loaded up...got sat down, and the cabbage was still hard and crunchy, it wasn't even close to soft like I like it. Therefore, I'm not gonna eat it.
Who could screw up cabbage? All ya gotta do is boil it, throw in some butter, vinegar, sausage, ham, whatever your tastes. yet it was disgusting!

He is actually 265 which is a bit higher BMI and puts him in the Obese category. FWIW.

I totally agree Linas. I think this is just about this couple crippling the buffet. I think it is reasonable for a restaurant owner to expect people to use common sense when eating at a buffet. You know,just like you can't get a to go carton, you have to use some restraint so the guy doesn't go out of business.

Just greed at work here, IMO.

Agreed, I think we've all been to one of those restaurants at one time or another and watched some glutton empty a whole bin of ribs onto their plate or watched as a person or persons leave enough food on their plates to feed a 3rd World Family for a week.

A restaurant is still a private business and the owners have the right to refuse service for reasons of abuse or tell a customer not to fire up that cigar...it doesn't take a scientific rocket to figure it out.

BTW, if anyone wants to drop in and sample the fare at Manchuria, it's on Grand Caillou just North of Terrebonne Airport.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stoney12
Back