Papyrus Refers to Jesus' Wife

epiphany

Reaction score
A Faded Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus' Wife

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of Scripture: “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife ...’ ”

The faded papyrus fragment is smaller than a business card, with eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass. Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, “she will be able to be my disciple.”

Snipped

But the discovery is exciting, Dr. King said, because it is the first known statement from antiquity that refers to Jesus speaking of a wife. It provides further evidence that there was an active discussion among early Christians about whether Jesus was celibate or married, and which path his followers should choose.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/u...yrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html?pagewanted=all

Video posted to Harvard's YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vlmoILJmH4M#!

While working to determine whether the papyrus was a forgery, King said she was particularly interested in also researching the first time anybody stated that Jesus did not have a wife.

“I was surprised to find that it is indeed right during the same period when we’re dating this fragment,” King said. That means it was long after Jesus’ death that the question was first raised about whether or not Jesus was married — and this small fragment appears to state that he was.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/09/was-jesus-married-ancient-papyrus-mentions-his-wife/

A few years ago my friend, Rabbi Moshe Yess, who did not believe in Jesus Christ, told me a rabbi, which even he admitted Jesus probably was, almost had to be married. I don't see any big deal. In fact, it seems to make the story of Jesus more true to the times in my opinion.

A few years ago my friend, Rabbi Moshe Yess, who did not believe in Jesus Christ, told me a rabbi, which even he admitted Jesus probably was, almost had to be married. I don't see any big deal. In fact, it seems to make the story of Jesus more true to the times in my opinion.

Yes, that's the story. Back in those days, rabbis were married, at least most of them.

I don't have a problem if Jesus was married. I think it's a good thing for various reasons.

Yes, that's the story. Back in those days, rabbis were married, at least most of them.

I don't have a problem if Jesus was married. I think it's a good thing for various reasons.

I agree. The cult of virginity (which Catholics REALLY take to an extreme with Mary's "Immaculate Conception") simply reflects the most negative attitudes toward sex.

What a wonderful world it would be if we all paid more attention to what Jesus said and less to the myths that have arisen over time about his personal life!

Many went out from the original Christians and teachings of the Apostles and were prophecied. Some would love to claim they are of the bloodline of Jesus. I do not believe he was married because he was born to die and be the sacrifice for sin. Plus, Jesus was God in the flesh.

As an upstanding member of the Jewish community, Jesus would've had to follow the law. The first commandment is be fruitful and multiply: "And G-d blessed them, and G-d said unto them, Be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth and subdue it...".
(Genesis 1:28)

My opinion, and mine alone, which has started many an argument in my Catholic family.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back