Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

southcitymom said:
I will say that unless the school is blind to the times they must have considered that some folks would be bothered by this. I keep thinking of the outrage several years ago of a library book called "Melissa Has Two Mommies" or something like that.

My son (6) is in kindergarden and it seems to me that he gets lots of diversity education at school - not formally, so to speak - like a film being shown, but in the course of day-to-day things. His school population is very diverse so maybe that's why. They had lots of diversity discussions when they studied Martin Luther King a few weeks back. It led to some great discussions at home.

Good point, SCM. And I certainly wouldn't argue with that being taught in the schools.

IrishMist said:
Good point, SCM. And I certainly wouldn't argue with that being taught in the schools.
It may well be that the video at issue was shown sometime during the week of MLK's birthday - in conjunction with studying Dr. King's message.

This sounds to me like the kind of garbage public institutions come up with to cover their @$$ instead of modeling and teaching respect. Why do they need a film?

Knowing people with disabilities or of a different religion/culture/race or who are in relationships different from our own goes a lot further than some lame movie that half the kids probably slept through.

I also think that it brings up a lot of sexual questions that many 8 year olds are nowhere near ready for. My oldest - as a 5th grader - had to do a "family life" unit that taught the most basic facts of life in a very clinical way, but he was totally grossed out. He couldn't understand why they would tell him and his friends such a horrible thing! :D

I'm so glad they're not in public school, but I do feel bad for people who don't have a choice on the matter.

southcitymom said:
It may well be that the video at issue was shown sometime during the week of MLK's birthday - in conjunction with studying Dr. King's message.

I suppose. It's about the only context I can imagine for this video. When my kids were in high school, they did have diversity days. I can't remember if it was one day or two, but they'd attend different workshops, and listen to people explain different cultures...

I guess my thinking is that if schools want to teach diversity, their best bet is to get stronger in the civics department. IMO, when a person understands the Bill of Rights and the Constitution; hence, civil rights; respecting diversity will come along naturally, would it not?

I could even see making it an after school class. One that parent's could sign the kids up for as an extra-curricular activity.

You've got me thinking on it now, SCM.

southcitymom said:
I do understand the perspective from which parents who disagree with interracial and/or same sex and/or single(divorced) families comes. As I said in my initial post, you can respect and accept reality (ie. interracial and same-sex families) AND also believe and teach your children your own position on that reality. I do not see how one negates the other.

It sounds like the school is trying to teach children that it is always acceptable and appropriate to respect families of all colors, shapes and sizes because this is the reality of the world they live in and will inherit. This still leaves parents with the responsibility of teaching the morality of such reality to their children.

I think if nothing else, such a program could be a great start to a dialogue within the individual families about these issues.
You wouldn't, and don't, see the same level of outrage about teaching interracial marriage.

I agree totally with the posters who said this isn't the school's job to begin with, especially in 3rd grade! This is the parents job alone. Schools are to teach you HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

Dark Knight said:
You wouldn't, and don't, see the same level of outrage about teaching interracial marriage.

I agree totally with the posters who said this isn't the school's job to begin with, especially in 3rd grade! This is the parents job alone. Schools are to teach you HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

You would have not too many years ago, DK. Amazing to me.

But it also encourages me to believe that one day my daughter will be amazed that once there was outrage about gay marriage.

IrishMist said:

But it also encourages me to believe that one day my daughter will be amazed that once there was outrage about gay marriage.
The reasoning behind the two are usually different, however. I am apalled at the constant attempts at comparisons between the two in the attempt to legitimize the stance of some people on the current issue. And as I said, the schools need to stay out of social engineering. Let the parents decide what to teach their kids about such issues.

IrishMist said:

I truly believe this and it makes my heart sing. It'll take a while, of course, but we've got nothing but time anyway.

southcitymom said:
I truly believe this and it makes my heart sing. It'll take a while, of course, but we've got nothing but time anyway.

Maybe it's just in my area, (which I hate to admit is mostly white upper class) but I'm seeing more and more acceptance of diversity with my kids generation. They even had friends that were openly gay in high school. Not many, mind you, and some have come out in college. But when I was in high school?? Ain't no way someone would have been out. Same area. Same school, in fact. Less affluent back in the day, but that's about the only difference.

Yes--the school has no business teaching kids with a stupid film about same-sex couples, inter-racial marraige,or even single mothers---This is the parents reponsibility to teach kids about diversity,and I'm sure that 3rd grade is way early for this junk anyway

Peter Hamilton said:
Yes--the school has no business teaching kids with a stupid film about same-sex couples, inter-racial marraige,or even single mothers---This is the parents reponsibility to teach kids about diversity,and I'm sure that 3rd grade is way early for this junk anyway

Peter hamilton, so far you've said "this crap" and "this junk". What exactly are you referring to as "crap" and "junk"?

No matter whether they should or shouldn't have shown it, I completely agree with the poster who said that most of the kids would sleep through it; or not pay attention to it. 3rd grade kids just aren't going to care about that kind of thing. Think back to your early grade school years. Until the "sex ed" film in 5th grade I couldn't tell you a single film that we watched in elementary school.

csds703 said:
This is about diversity NOT sex. It is about teaching kids that families come in all different colors, genders, married and unmarried. It's about NOT allowing a child who comes from a DIFFERENT family to be looked at in a bad way. Who said this is about Gay Marriage. They were only part of the film being shown.
Kids will not be harmed by knowing that there are different lifestyles out there.
Exactly!!!! Last time I checked, respect of themselves and their peers were huge issues in our schools. If I am to understand correctly what some people are against is this: Showing a film about interracial parents, single parents, grandparents raising children, physically challenged parents, foreign parents, non-interracial parents, mentally challenged parents, poor parents, wealthy parents, vegetarian parents, straight parents, and gay parents with the list being endless to the children of those parents! Hmmmm...WHERE is the rational argument here?!

BTW~Sex ed should be discussed openly all through growing up and age shouldn't be a real factor. An ongoing and healthy dialogue beginning early allows children to understand it is part of life and nothing to be ashamed of discussing with their parents. The pediatrician gave me books to introduce sex ed properly to my children as young as 3yo. The proof is in the pudding...I have 5 very productive, normal adults with highly responsible and healthy attitudes about sex. (3 of them practice/practiced abstinence until marriage...a decision put in place by their own moral guidelines.)

IrishMist said:
Mine, too, JBean. Mine too.
Me three! Mine even witnessed...gasp! A real live baby being born...more than once before they were 8.

IrishMist said:
Maybe it's just in my area, (which I hate to admit is mostly white upper class) but I'm seeing more and more acceptance of diversity with my kids generation. They even had friends that were openly gay in high school. Not many, mind you, and some have come out in college. But when I was in high school?? Ain't no way someone would have been out. Same area. Same school, in fact. Less affluent back in the day, but that's about the only difference.
You have yet to see the difference between having an openly gay friend and not believing in same sex marriage. It's all or nothing, eh?

I am not risking another blow up by Tybee by going over this topic again, lol. Her next one could be our last. :eek:

IrishMist said:
Peter hamilton, so far you've said "this crap" and "this junk". What exactly are you referring to as "crap" and "junk"?
He doesn't have to explain himself to you. :p

Dark Knight said:
You have yet to see the difference between having an openly gay friend and not believing in same sex marriage. It's all or nothing, eh?

I am not risking another blow up by Tybee by going over this topic again, lol. Her next one could be our last. :eek:

DK, my post was discussing the growing acceptance of diversity, with an example of that from my real life...

I understand why there are some that don't believe in gay marriage. I don't agree with them, and don't believe our laws should reflect them, but I do understand them.

Gay marriage is a civil rights issue, IMO. Do I have hope that the growing acceptance of gays in my kid's generation will lead to a growing acceptance of gay marriage? Of course I do.

IrishMist said:
Didn't you know that teaching children to respect other people's lifestyles is crap?:doh:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back