Parents of third graders outraged at diversity tape

southcitymom said:
What's this world coming to - DK and narlacat agree on the issue! :confused:

That's twice tonight. :eek:

Linda7NJ said:
The way I see it, the school must do it because many of the parents don't. It has nothing to do with religion. If anything that was to be discussed was against your personal morals fine. Have something against homosexuals, good for you...don't be one. I am sick of people belittling other people for what they may do behind closed doors in their own houses. No one was explaining the intricacies of homosexual sex to these 3rd graders. They were simply explaining that families come in many forms. You and everyone else needs to respect that even if you don't share in the belief that it's ok.

I very recently had a disturbing interaction with a neighbor & mother of one of my son's friends. The boys were wrestling around while we were talking when her son called mine a "*advertiser censored*" my son returned the comment. I spoke up and said if you don't know what a word means you shouldn't use it. Knowing my son had absolutely no idea what it meant, I was comfortable with leaving it at that.
Then my neighbor, being the "good" Christian woman that she, is proceeded to tell them that's what you call those freaks. They will all burn in hell. Blah Blah Blah....I was shocked and stunned. I had to loudly interrupt her and inform her that not everyone was that hateful and small minded or shared her opinions. I cautioned her not to talk like that in front of my son. I don't care what she tells hers. That's her business. But at least her son should have the opportunity to hear a rational film explaining that yes it happens and they are no less because of it.
Due to her inappropriate comments in front of my son I was forced to have a conversation with him not only explaining that families come in different forms, but that some people simply can't handle that. They don't have respect for others who may be different than themselves. I also explained just how dangerous that way of thinking is.
I had to be sure and elaborate fully as our familiy also looks different. I wouldn't want him to EVER feel less because of it.
If children aren't being beaten, abused or neglected and are simply being loved by "unconventional" parents they have EVERY right to be proud of their family.
And I guess that's the other side of the argument.

Dark Knight said:
....schools shouldn't teach us what to think, only how to think, otherwise it's social engineering.
I'm trying to understand this, but am struggling....schools teach WHAT to think every time they make a curriculum choice about history, science, etc... I agree that schools should teach a child how to think, but there's a lot of WHAT that gets thrown in with the process.

Like it or not, morality gets taught in schools - public, private or parochial. Where I live, one of the public elementary schools has a word of the week - respect, discipline, honesty, patriotism, etc... - and lessons touch on that word. Many of these words are "moral" concepts. Our schools do want to engender good moral values.

You can't teach a class unless its students have learned and practice certain values - not speaking out of turn and interrupting (patience), keeping your hands to yourself (boundaries), doing your own work (honesty), etc...the list goes on.

I'd bet most of us are okay with schools attempting to instill positive values in children. I guess what I am trying to say is that it only seems like social engineering when you are opposed to what has been introduced. I'd be willing to bet that some people feel that teaching evolution is social engineering.

I don't think showing a film about embracing diversity around MLK's birthday is out of line as an educational supplement. This wouldn't bother me because the moral value of celebrating diversity appeals to me. If I found out they showed a film celebrating killing puppies with baseball clubs, I would feel differently because cruelty and violence aren't values I embrace.

So, like everything else, it all comes down to different opinions.

Linda7NJ said:
The way I see it, the school must do it because many of the parents don't.

I guess this whole thing smacks of the nanny state to me. Do we really want a babysitter who makes every decision for us based on what polls well?

Dark Knight said:
They don't want the school teaching that same sex marriage, etc. is acceptable when they are trying to teach the kids that it isn't due to their religious beliefs. All this stuff about bigotry, hatred, etc. makes me laugh. This has been debated ad nauseum on WS to the irritation of the mods so I won't break TOS by debating religious theology, but some of the comments against these parents are something else. Maybe not agreeing with the parents values is also predjudiced and bigoted.

I agree. People are entitle to their beliefs and what their religions teach and to teach their children the same. It's not hating anyone at all and decent parents are not teaching their children to hate people who are attracted to members of their same sex. There's a huge difference between hate and just not agreeing. I don't believe in drinking alcohol but sure don't hate others who do or hate gay people. The school must be in a non Bible Belt area of the country. I would agree with the parents. School has no business introducing subjects that could confuse children who may not even know of such things. If only Bush could have gotten the school voucher program then people could send and teach their kids whatever they please.

txsvicki said:
School has no business introducing subjects that could confuse children who may not even know of such things.
Algebra confuses my daughter.... now what? ;)

(Please don't take this reply serious, I just couldn't help myself. Yes I know it's different.:))

JanetElaine said:
From what I read about the film, they didn't. It was just a showing the kids of what's all 'out there'. Just because kids know what's out there doesn't mean they will agree with everything! Give them a little more credit please... it will only help them make up their mind about what they want to believe is right or wrong.

IMO people being afraid of kids learning about 'what's all out there' at school are the ones that do the social engineering... they don't want their kids to know about certain things, or if they do (=can't avoid it) only mom and dad's opinion on it....

I found the phrase 'schools shouldn't teach us what to think' pretty odd, but I guess it can be explained when people confuse educating kids about all possibilities with brainwashing.
You can let the school tell your kids what to think. These parents don't want them to, and that's their right.

The context that the topic was discussed within indicates what they school thinks they should think on the subject. Schools are ill equipped to teach morality these days.

txsvicki said:
I agree. People are entitle to their beliefs and what their religions teach and to teach their children the same. It's not hating anyone at all and decent parents are not teaching their children to hate people who are attracted to members of their same sex. There's a huge difference between hate and just not agreeing. I don't believe in drinking alcohol but sure don't hate others who do or hate gay people. The school must be in a non Bible Belt area of the country. I would agree with the parents. School has no business introducing subjects that could confuse children who may not even know of such things. If only Bush could have gotten the school voucher program then people could send and teach their kids whatever they please.
You are a truly wise person, well said! :blowkiss: VERY well said, actually! Some people cannot hear the finer points you make, however, as they are too busy with their very own judgement of us to hear it.

Dark, I honestly don't understand your reply there. The film merely showed kids in differently composed households.

I am not scared at all about the influence of anything my child will see/hear at school or elsewhere. She knows she can (and she does) talk about anything at home, she knows what my opinion is, she knows the opinion of her dad. She knows she's entitled to her own opinion, different from school, parents, etc..

I still don't understand why it is so scary for some people to have their children come into contact with something their parents haven't introduced to them. Isn't it the parents' job to raise a child so he/she is well-equipped to deal with life as it comes at them? And again, if 3rd grade is too soon, then when is the right time for this?

Dark Knight said:
You are a truly wise person, well said! :blowkiss: VERY well said, actually! Some people cannot hear the finer points you make, however, as they are too busy with their very own judgement of us to hear it.
Isn't it strange that I agree with vicki's entire post, but not with you? LOL

And I do hope you know the difference between people not agreeing with you and people judging you.

JanetElaine said:
Dark, I honestly don't understand your reply there. The film merely showed kids in differently composed households.

I am not scared at all about the influence of anything my child will see/hear at school or elsewhere. She knows she can (and she does) talk about anything at home, she knows what my opinion is, she knows the opinion of her dad. She knows she's entitled to her own opinion, different from school, parents, etc..

I still don't understand why it is so scary for some people to have their children come into contact with something their parents haven't introduced to them. Isn't it the parents' job to raise a child so he/she is well-equipped to deal with life as it comes at them? And again, if 3rd grade is too soon, then when is the right time for this?
Oh, ok, NOW I see your point. As a result, I want the schools to show videotapes about homosexuality being considered a sin by some people and that it is possible to not think same-sex couples are "OK." Is it OK with you if your kids see THAT video and have lessons on such matters? The school should be teaching them ALL the viewpoints objectively and without bias since the parents might not get around to it so our 3rd graders can make an informed decision.

JanetElaine said:
Isn't it strange that I agree with vicki's entire post, but not with you? LOL

And I do hope you know the difference between people not agreeing with you and people judging you.
Calling us bigots and haters and prejudiced isn't judging, huh? Just "disagreeing." :rolleyes: Gotcha.

Dark Knight said:
Calling us bigots and haters and prejudiced isn't judging, huh? Just "disagreeing." :rolleyes: Gotcha.
I challenge you to quote me where I said you were either one of those. Chill Dark Knight.... it is possible to have a discussion without going nasty. That goes for everyone.

Dark Knight said:
Oh, ok, NOW I see your point. As a result, I want the schools to show videotapes about homosexuality being considered a sin by some people and that it is possible to not think same-sex couples are "OK." Is it OK with you if your kids see THAT video and have lessons on such matters? The school should be teaching them ALL the viewpoints objectively and without bias since the parents might not get around to it so our 3rd graders can make an informed decision.
Yes, that is okay with me. As a matter of fact, that would serve me just fine, since she would hear the same thing at school then as she hears at home. And even if I didn't agree with it, I would still want her to know that there are people who feel that way.

I never said I condone same-sex marriages. But it is a fact that they exist, and I do not want nor need to shield my child from that fact. And that is what the film was about - showing kids what exists.

When you started off saying that you see my point now, I was genuinly happy. Too bad you were just being sarcastic. My point isn't that I agree with same-sex marriages. My point is that this is not what this film was about - it showed 'living situations'. Where does it say that these living situations were not looked at objectively and without bias?

And again - what is the problem? You don't want your children to know about this at all? Or not in 3rd grade? And if not in 3rd grade, then when? Why isn't anyone who has a problem with this film being shown in 3rd grade answering? I haven't been nasty to anyone and I would like to know the answers, or I wouldn't ask the question!

I think videos about "sin" are best left at home and at church.

IrishMist said:
I think videos about "sin" are best left at home and at church.
Nope, same thing. I think the kids can watch videos about all beliefs. If people believe it's a sin, and the school wants to show a video about this so that kids know that that's out there, why not?

JanetElaine said:
I challenge you to quote me where I said you were either one of those. Chill Dark Knight.... it is possible to have a discussion without going nasty. That goes for everyone.
I wasn't talking about you, did I mention your name? You chill! :p

You quoted my post and responded to it...... what am I supposed to think?

JanetElaine said:
Nope, same thing. I think the kids can watch videos about all beliefs. If people believe it's a sin, and the school wants to show a video about this so that kids know that that's out there, why not?
I can at least agree with that. Although I would actually prefer the schools stay out of it, lol. But now you're making sense to me. :dance:

JanetElaine said:
You quoted my post and responded to it...... what am I supposed to think?
Yes, I was answering your question, but was referring to the other posts using those terms as examples. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back